This could be interesting................

glrnet

There is a very good chance if you are on this forum, then you, at the very least, have some petrol head tendencies and in my experience most people of that type have "music head" tendencies too :band: . There is a very wide range of age groups on here as well, now, I'm one of the older generation and my music tastes are eclectic, however my radio station of choice is Planet Rock. Stay with me peeps. Said radio station has a slot called "Your Rock Epiphany", i.e. the album or tune that you first heard or bought that changed or cemented your musical taste, I will elaborate. I was happy listening to "popular" music and then I heard The Rolling Stones Little Red Rooster in 1964, I was nearly 11!!! :scare: My love of the blues and rock generally grew from there, my sister however was under the spell of The Beatles, so everyone is different, in essence Little Red Rooster was my musical epiphany, so tell us all what was yours and why? It may widen all of our musical horizons. Zugara need not respond :p:p;)

Sorry for the ramble :wacko:

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My musical taste wandered all over the place when I was younger (teenager), my dad used to play alot of Maiden, AC/DC and Priest, which I always kind of fall back too.

But, the album that set me off on my main musical tastes to this date, was when I got a bootleg copy of The Special AKA - The Specials.

I was 17 when I heard that album, and it set me off along my infatuation with two-tone, which later progressed into my love of pretty much anything played on the off-beat.

RUDE BOYS FOR LIFE!!!

Spursmaddave will be chuffed to hear that :thumbs::thumbs:

My musical taste wandered all over the place when I was younger (teenager), my dad used to play alot of Maiden, AC/DC and Priest, which I always kind of fall back too.

But, the album that set me off on my main musical tastes to this date, was when I got a bootleg copy of The Special AKA - The Specials.

I was 17 when I heard that album, and it set me off along my infatuation with two-tone, which later progressed into my love of pretty much anything played on the off-beat.

RUDE BOYS FOR LIFE!!!

When I was growing up we didnt have music in the house so it was very much hit and miss and whatever my mates happened to be listening to.

A good friend had a massive shed at the bottom of his garden and his parents must have been very easy going or deaf. :lol:

Two bits of music stand out, the first is my introduction to Pink Floyd.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1w1YxzOX ... re=related

Not everyones cup of tea. :wacko:

The second is from another group I still listen to a lot to this day. Uriah Heep. :teeth:

July Morning, Tuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuune!!! :thumbs:

When I was growing up we didnt have music in the house so it was very much hit and miss and whatever my mates happened to be listening to.

A good friend had a massive shed at the bottom of his garden and his parents must have been very easy going or deaf. :lol:

Two bits of music stand out, the first is my introduction to Pink Floyd.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1w1YxzOX ... re=related

Not everyones cup of tea. :wacko:

The second is from another group I still listen to a lot to this day. Uriah Heep. :teeth:

:shutup::shutup::shutup::shutup::shutup::shutup::shutup:

MUST RESIST....... WILL GET A GOOD SPANKING IF I SAY........... ;)

ABBA.....cos I loved the blonde one. :blush:

Not because they influenced your musical taste then, you just fancied the horny blonde!!! How very shallow :lol::wacko:

:shutup::shutup::shutup::shutup::shutup::shutup::shutup:

MUST RESIST....... WILL GET A GOOD SPANKING IF I SAY........... ;)

ABBA.....cos I loved the blonde one. :blush:

my music epiphany is a rather large one...

as i am relatively young, and from a small town called Glasgow :p.. the music of the generation i grew up with was in the most, happy hardcore (bonkers and such) and family influences (beautiful south) and then when i was older (not by much) it moved on to 'New Monkey' type music.. and Eminem (non stop..)

**EDIT** I must say that Pink Floyd :- The Wall was the beginning!! **EDIT**

so, thus far you may have realised that my music taste was rather limited :wacko:

but i met a few people in the army whos taste was more exotic than mine :blush:

now, the songs that made a huge difference to me in my taste of music are as follows :headhurt:

Linkin Park :- Hybrid Theory

Queen of the Damned :- The movie soundtrack

Disturbed :- Down with the sickness

Jonny Cash :- Hurt

and Staind :- Outside (Live Acoustic)

theres but a few, and these have broadened my now rather serious love of music in every direction

good choice of thread ;) should be fun to see the replies :thumbs:

:band:

And that is my point exactly, love Linkin Park, you're young and Johnny Cash is on your list :thumbs::thumbs: It's a timeless thing, I get a big buzz knowing you guys appreciate our old stuff and we get off on your generation's music. :dance: How interesting too that in times of "stress" i.e. the army, it all comes back to exchanges of musical tastes :thumbs::thumbs: So many of us seek refuge in music :blush:

my music epiphany is a rather large one...

as i am relatively young, and from a small town called Glasgow :p.. the music of the generation i grew up with was in the most, happy hardcore (bonkers and such) and family influences (beautiful south) and then when i was older (not by much) it moved on to 'New Monkey' type music.. and Eminem (non stop..)

so, thus far you may have realised that my music taste was rather limited :wacko:

but i met a few people in the army whos taste was more exotic than mine :blush:

now, the songs that made a huge difference to me in my taste of music are as follows :headhurt:

Linkin Park :- Hybrid Theory

Queen of the Damned :- The movie soundtrack

Disturbed :- Down with the sickness

and Staind :- Outside (Live Acoustic)

theres but a few, and these have broadened my now rather serious love of music in every direction

good choice of thread ;) should be fun to see the replies :thumbs:

:band:

I'll get in with this before someone else does:

10 years old, TOTP, Thursday night October 1974:

Enough of Slade, enough of The Osmonds, enough of The Wombles:

Ran in to the kitchen shouting "Mum, there's a man on the telly singing........and he's got a sword!!"

Slightly inaccurate (cut-off microphone stand) but this led me to 37 years of fan-dom.

Take it away Fred:

I absolutely love both versions of this song (the Cash version, and the original NiN version)

I never realised that 2 songs, with the same lyrics, could stand apart so greatly and mean entirely different things.

One year later, I'm 22 and meet my mate in the pub, "did you see that Queen video?" Bohemian Rhapsody set a new standard :surrender:

I'll get in with this before someone else does:

10 years old, TOTP, Thursday night October 1974:

Enough of Slade, enough of The Osmonds, enough of The Wombles:

Ran in to the kitchen shouting "Mum, there's a man on the telly singing........and he's got a sword!!"

Slightly inaccurate (cut-off microphone stand) but this led me to 37 years of fan-dom.

Take it away Fred:

My musical tastes vary so much I find it very difficult to point to any one genre. I suppose the biggest influence, from about the age of 10, would have been The Beatles. For people too young, or not even born in the sixties, it is very difficult to explain how much they and others changed the face of music. Having said that, the first group that was "mine" was The Moody Blues & I believe "In Search of the Lost Chord" was the first album I ever bought.

Yes, could get interesting :lol: . Of course, like most teenagers at the time I liked much of the pop music about, Beatles, Stones, Byrds, Beach Boys and so on. As I turned 20, my tastes were pretty much the same, although I started to get into heavier stuff, The Doors, Free and others. Back then I owned just one album, 5th Dimension by The Byrds :blush: . Anyway, in my mid 20's my mate loaned me some of his albums by Genesis, Yes, Wishbone Ash, Mike Oldfield and that's pretty well when my tastes changed. Later on I became more interested in American and Canadian Rock bands, Styx, Journey, Boston, Loverboy, Kansas and many more that I'm sure nobody else has heard of :) . Right through the mid 70's and into the early 90's I bought about 10 albums a month and I still have every one of them :scare: .(Just under 2,000 all on vinyl :thumbs: )

My taste in music is fairly wide, from Country Rock such as The Eagles and Dan Fogelberg, Euro Rock (Kraftwerk, Tangerine Dream), Heavy Rock (Van Halen, Motorhead) right through to bands such as Fleetwood Mac, Floyd, Rush, Kiss, Aerosmith and yeah, I still love The Beach Boys :)

Stopped buying albums sometimes in the early 90's about the time it became tough to get hold of vinyl, just buy the odd one from second hand shops and E-Bay.

Todays music doesn't do much for me, only heard 2 decent songs in the last 10 years :lol:

Pete

Some very good stuff in there Pete. :thumbs:

I was a big fan of Fleetwood mac in the early days although there were certain attractions in the later line up. :blush:

I saw Peter green in a small local theatre a few years ago. Unfortunately he seems to drift into and out of reality a bit.

Still one of my favourite bits of music.

This got me interested in pop music on a tape recording (reel to reel) of USA radio stations sent to me by my godfather

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2AkU9iXdhY4

and this is the first single I actually bought

Then the Beatles came and went

Then it was ELO

Then Duran Duran

Then this ......

and ZZ Top

and AC-DC

on the way these featured ......

T-Rex

Pink Floyd

Bryan Adams

Tina Turner

etc.

etc.

:lol::lol: How we struggled to hear anything "off the wall", I can still remember lying in bed listening to Radio Luxembourg on a crystal set with about 3 miles of antenna!!! :lol::lol:

This got me interested in pop music on a tape recording (reel to reel) of USA radio stations sent to me by my godfather

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2AkU9iXdhY4

and this is the first single I actually bought

Then the Beatles came and went

Then it was ELO

Then Duran Duran

Then this ......

and ZZ Top

and AC-DC

on the way these featured ......

T-Rex

Pink Floyd

Bryan Adams