Drivers Give Up Cars As Costs Soar

Whilst I love the way they don't give any figures or any hints as to the questions they asked in that article, which leads me to believe it's a total load of crap, I do hope it's true as that way there's more space for me! :D

The problem some of us have is that there really is no suitable alternative to using the car. My commute is 42miles each way into work. I could get the train. But, its a 6mile drive to the train station, the train costs 18quid, then at the other end, the station is the opposite side of the city from where I work - so it would be 50minute walk or a long cycle ride to get into work.

Comparing that to commuting into work in my old golf tdi, it used to cost me about £6.50 a day in diesel. No comparison really.

Of course the 350z isnt as economical as the golf tdi, so its costing me around £20 a day just on fuel, but still reasonable compared to the cost of public transport.

Compare that to Australia for example. I was there earlier in the year and an equivalent train ride into the centre of Brisbane only cost about 5quid.

I use a big motorcyle to commute it is quicker than car or train much more fun when using the empty bus lanes and laughing at everybody in the jams and only costs £4 a day, 2 wheels is the way to go.

I am going to attempt to cycle to work 3 days a week when i get back from holiday. My plan is to cycle in from my house on a Monday morning (35 Miles) and then to my parents Monday night (18 miles). Tuesday morning from my parents to work (18 miles) and then to my girlfriends Tuesday evening (11 miles). From hers to work Wednesday morning (11 miles) and then back to my house on Wednesday evening (35 miles). So that's 120 miles.................. :bangin:

Whilst I love the way they don't give any figures or any hints as to the questions they asked in that article, which leads me to believe it's a total load of crap, I do hope it's true as that way there's more space for me! :D

Yeah, no figures given but the A55 in North Wales is, or should I say was, due to be converted into a 6 lane highway for over 100 miles. I know that the Welsh Assembly is now having second thoughts about this as the cost has spiraled to well over a billion and traffic levels have dropped by about 15% since the peak of 2007. They originally expected a 20% increase in traffic flow over a 10 year period and it just hasn't happened. TBH, I think we will see very few new major projects from now on it just doesn't make sense to spend billions on roads when usage is bound to drop from now on. I don't think there's ever going to be that much demand for electric vehicles either, they still need charging up and the price of electric is going to soar even more in the next few years. So, enjoy it while you can, the golden age of motoring will be over within the next 20 years :shrug: Enter the second coming of The Railway, the only way forward really.

Pete

I use a big motorcyle to commute it is quicker than car or train much more fun when using the empty bus lanes and laughing at everybody in the jams and only costs £4 a day, 2 wheels is the way to go.

Yeah, i used to use motorbikes for work too. Ended up wreaking 2 bikes with mileage. In the end I was using my R1 and was getting through a set of tyres every 6 weeks and when the weekend came I just did not want to go out on the bike any more. So, i switched to using the car.

Still, biking was very satisfying with traffic jams! I knew id get to work in 30mins regardless of traffic!

I switched from walking to work and having no car running costs to buying and running a zed. People just need to man up and stop spending money on booze n fags every night and save the money so they can actually get to and from work. I'm far from a high earner and I can manage the cost of a zed so I'm sure Joe Bloggs should be able to afford a diesel Focus if he stopped going the pub every night.

Or just pack everything in and live off the £2000/month the government seem to be handing out to every chav and his 7 kids.

/rant

I am afraid that I have been caught up in this. New government has pushed me to the point of collapse and I refuse to be a slave to a car, so in light of that I am selling up, to fall "in line" with the eco-warriors who run this country. :rant::rant::angry::angry::rant:

I'd quite happily chat to anyone about some of the things Ive heard at recent public procurement events if you want boring for half an hour or so, but its an eye opener thats for sure. The current procurement strategies and thinking from many organisations leads me to believe there is no way we will see fuel, road and any other taxes coming down any time soon.

Just to play devils advocate, I wonder how many of those people out on strike wanting to retain their final salary pensions which will cost the treasury billions, also dont like the high taxes and fuel prices either?

I'd quite happily chat to anyone about some of the things Ive heard at recent public procurement events if you want boring for half an hour or so, but its an eye opener thats for sure. The current procurement strategies and thinking from many organisations leads me to believe there is no way we will see fuel, road and any other taxes coming down any time soon.

Just to play devils advocate, I wonder how many of those people out on strike wanting to retain their final salary pensions which will cost the treasury billions, also dont like the high taxes and fuel prices either?

:snack::snack::snack: