Considering first euro drive holiday - tips?

pds

Would like to take the new Z to europe for a jolly with the missus - no definite plans yet and have only dropped the idea casually into conversation...

Z is a pre-facelift 06 with 37k. Completely standard ( :scare: ) GT with Rays but NO satnav.

Had P2 service about a 1000 miles/1 month ago (Should have been a P1? Dealer I bought from paid for it so presume I'm quids in there).

I guess I need to check pads and discs are good for the intended mileage.

Where have people been and what are the actual mileages of these trips (somewhat higher than the planned mileage I'm guessing).

Any tips/advice you can offer or from your own experience would be much appreciated. (Including tips on convincing the missus please :thumbs: )

Fuel is between £1.55 and £1.70 a litre across France/Belgium/Germany, so factor that into your plans. Also Toll roads... they're about £1 per toll, but there can be a lot of them depending on your routes etc.

The zed will be fine though and will eat up those miles.

Drive through France to Biarritz and stay at the Palace (Napeloeons 3rd I think) for 300-850€ per night, that'll convince her :lol:

http://www.hotel-du-palais.com/

I'd like to drive down there again, stayed in Biarritz and did outings in a rental down to Northern Spain. Like the scenery around the basque areas, why not nip down to France, Spain and go back via Switzerland and Germany? Or do a Scandinavian trip? B)

Fuel is between £1.55 and £1.70 a litre across France/Belgium/Germany, so factor that into your plans. Also Toll roads... they're about £1 per toll, but there can be a lot of them depending on your routes etc.

:scare:

Hadn't even got as far as looking at the fuel cost - assumed it would be no more expensive than the UK.

Would be interested to know people's real mpg for such long trip (obviously factoring in some fun!!).

I would offer a prize for the lowest mpg but making others laugh should be prize enough :lol:

Have you thought of Norway, bit of a mission to get there I know as there are no direct ferries now. We did it several years ago but flew to Bergen and hired a VW Golf. The roads, scenery are awesome up in the mountains :drive1 and all those tunnels, :yahoo: I think there are about 900 in Norway, that should keep you busy :thumbs: Norway is pricey but worth it if the weather is fine.

Have you thought of Norway, bit of a mission to get there I know as there are no direct ferries now. We did it several years ago but flew to Bergen and hired a VW Golf. The roads, scenery are awesome up in the mountains :drive1 and all those tunnels, :yahoo: I think there are about 900 in Norway, that should keep you busy :thumbs: Norway is pricey but worth it if the weather is fine.

Awesome idea but not sure I'd want to do it in the Zed :scare: Isn't Norway like a giant block of ice?

Awesome idea but not sure I'd want to do it in the Zed :scare: Isn't Norway like a giant block of ice?

http://www.inautonews.com/wp-content/up ... rakke6.jpg

not really... :thumbs:

http://www.inautonews.com/19-greatest-d ... s-on-earth

Cheers for this - i'll have to read through properly tomorrow - the missus is back from work and frowning!

I only get a little over 300 miles per tank, is that normal for a daily commute (average speed over a tank of fuel is only 25mph!!). At this sort of mpg its gonna be way expensive!!

Cheers for this - i'll have to read through properly tomorrow - the missus is back from work and frowning!

I only get a little over 300 miles per tank, is that normal for a daily commute (average speed over a tank of fuel is only 25mph!!). At this sort of mpg its gonna be way expensive!!

All the figures are included in my thread mate - 1700 miles was far cheaper than flying and hiring a car (and far less stressful) :thumbs:

Norway is horrendously expensive, The Scottish Nationalists who always mention Norway as an example of what small countries can achieve should try living there for a few weeks (pint of beer £8-10) packet of fags (£8-9):lol: . Beautiful country though and not as cold as you'd think in fact the summer climate of Southern Norway is pretty good. Further North it stays pretty cool right through summer but you've got the advantage of almost eternal daylight. Low population means that away from the handful of cities the roads are nice and quiet :thumbs:

Pete

I just got back from a 3000 mile trip around France, car did 29.5mpg over the trip with lots of motorways and a fair amount of hooning and fuel cost an average of 1.52 euro/l for super (about £1.38). Buy at supermarkets and it's not too bad.

For commuting that is normal mpg. I commute everyday to london, 55 miles each way, average about 31 mpg and a average speed of £55 in total. But for just motorway cruising at 80/90 occasional 100+ you get 29/30, so if you do the legal limit (french laws are quite strict) you can get close to 35mpg doing 60/70. :thumbs:

Funny you should mention this as ive just been sat down for 2hrs at the computer planning our upcoming Euro trip.

6 days, UK to the Pyrennees with a stop over somewhere mid france there and on the way back to break the 727 mile trip down there.

In terms of fuel costs im going on the fact that on long motorway and N-road hauls (they're more fun but generally follow the motorways in France) im gonna be looking at approx 450 miles to a tank. So at roughly 90 quid a tank, and allowing an approx total mileage for the trip of 2000 inc driving to and from Dover on the UK side, and a spot of driving about once we're there, im looking at 400 quid for fuel all in. This is prob a worse case senario fuel cost and it will be a fair bit less if i keep to 70 on the motorways as often as i can which will then be mpg's in the bank for the blasts up and down mountain passes :drive1

Oh and in terms of the missus. Tell her she can do some driving of the Zed, that'll be a selling point for sure. Dont however do what i did and try to make the fact that the Tour de France is on at the same time and that we could go and see a stage finish a selling point as you'll spend the next few days trying to wipe the frown off her face :lol:

If you go to Andorra or eastern Europe for instance i think you need to tell your ins co so read up on that type of info too :thumbs:

Take the overnight ferry to Santander, wine and dine the Mrs, in the morning when you hit Spain, head west to A Coruna. Beautiful little city and a stunning beach. Take a trip down to Santiago de Compestella, stunning!

Head down the Atlantico Highway to Portugal, mooch around there for a few days then head back east for the ferry, you'll go across some stonking Spanish Plain roads that are virtually brand new and for the most part completely empty :thumbs:

The reason I'm advocating staying in Spain mostly, is because the fuel is cheaper, the food is cheaper and accommodation is cheaper, along the Costa Verde there's virtually no Brit tourists and some of the villages/towns are superb to stop and have a coffee :thumbs:

You can pick up a bit of Tapas and a coffee for little more than a few Euros up this way.

You can do similar in France and Italy, but for the most part you need to steer clear of motorways and stick to D routes, try and pick a route that's not on the Brits radar, they love a tourist in rural Spain or France, especially in something that is a bit exotic :thumbs:

And whatever you do, stay clear of Pamplona, a complete tourist trap and not particularly nice IMO.

Oh and even if you get/have a satnav, get a Michelin Map, they are the best :thumbs:

Got to agree with the The G Man :thumbs:

Northern Spain is ace; the area north of Madrid up in the mountains is also beautiful, and you could have a look at both the Pyrenees and Northern Portugal while you're there (the Douro Valley near Porto is also worth a couple of days).

Nice and cheap in Northern Spain, and not many touroids, so open roads, cheaper petrol and nice locals. If you fancy going a bit posh try a few Paradores.

I've done Europe twice now in the Zed and will be going back - it's what it was designed for. A real mile eater, and suprisingly relaxing (even over 4400 miles in three weeks).

I went from Calais to Brussels to Germany to Austria/Switzerland to Northern Italy to Southern France to Spain to Portugal and back from Santander. Brilliant fun.

Some great posts and links, all I need to know. :thumbs:

I told the missus that it would be an awesome trip and she replied "who for?".

Needless to say she received an on the spot promotion from toll payer to second driver. Just need to convince her to actually drive the Z... (I think she's worried she'll enjoy it too much and start to hate her 206 oil burner)

I did a 'road trip' last year with my brother (only 2,000 miles over 5 days).

Off the top of my head these are the things I took/arranged for the trip;

* Insurance (even if you have Euro cover, if it's for longer than 3 days you'll need a greencard).

* GB sticker (unless your number plates have this)

* Breakdown cover for europe

* Change headlight direction

* High vis jacket

* V5, MOT cert, insurance policy, passport, credit card, E1-11 card

* Warning triangle

* Empty petrol can, spare wheel, spare bulbs

Our trip was;

York > Dover > Calais > Paris > Reims > Nurburgring > Koeln > Eindhoven > Brussels > Bruges > Calais > Dover > York.

At one point, we went for a full 36 hours with no sleep :blackeye: (due to working 9-5, then getting the 11pm ferry, driving straight to Paris @ 2am, then onto Reims, and not getting to the hotel/hour kip until late afternoon).

I was in France recently (driving a golf) and filled up with ethanol mix petrol at big lecerc supermarkets for around €1.35 a litre. I assume the Z will be OK with this stuff.

At smaller stations its mega expensive! Diesel is lots cheaper than petrol....

Don't buy a warning triangle on the ferry, I got one at a French supermarket for €1.75... I never bothered with a GB sticker, just kept one in the car in case. Your high vis (x2) needs to be accessible in the passenger compartment not buried in the boot.

Insurance ours covered us in the EU 3rd party only as part of the policy - we paid extra to upgrade (bloody con merchants).