Max spacer size with RAYS and standard suspension

HassanZ

Hi all,

I'm planning to purchase a set of spacers this week. I have been doing research into which size is the best. I have noticed many members have opted to go for the 20mm fronts and 25mm rear option.

I was looking to go wider than that if possible...

My car's suspension set-up is completely standard and she is sitting on standard 18 inch RAYS.

I want to go for the largest size spacer without risking scraping the arches, looking odd and not affecting any other components/electrics/systems negatively.

If you have any photos of your Zeds with standard suspension and RAYS, stating what size you've gone for, that would be great! :thumbs:

I know there's already a thread on spacers, but I want this thread to be more specific to Zeds with standard suspension with the RAYS wheels.

Many thanks for your help and advice :thumbs:

Hassan

I heard it's illegal to have the tires wider than the arches, is that correct? Would that be an MOT failure?

Why don't anybody go for the 25/25 combo instead of 20/25?

Is there a reason why you have to have the front spacers slimmer than the rears? Considering the wheels are wider at the back, wouldn't that just make the gap between the front and rear wheel depth larger?

I heard it's illegal to have the tires wider than the arches, is that correct? Would that be an MOT failure?

Why don't anybody go for the 25/25 combo instead of 20/25?

Is there a reason why you have to have the front spacers slimmer than the rears? Considering the wheels are wider at the back, wouldn't that just make the gap between the front and rear wheel depth larger?

People have the fronts at 20 as they dont want anything to rub. You can get away with 25 but it will rub a little. And yes, having tyres that are outside the arch will fail the mot due to spray when raining. But 25 will be safe, 30 may work as well if you roll your arches over.

just stick with 20mm front and 25mm Rear. Will look stupid otherwise.

And yes the rears are wider but wheel offsets and the size of the arches themselves have the say in whether to run staggered spacers or not. Too much "poke" with spacers looks wrong on the standard 18" rays with their chunky tyres, with the car still sat in the clouds. If you want to run them wide, you could do with lowering it a bit as well.

Thats why 20 F 25 R with say a 25-30mm drop works well.

I'm actually quite restricted with regards to lowering the car, as I have to go up a slope to reverse onto my driveway. At the moment, the clearance between the bumper and the surface is a matter of 2mm's (I can't even fit my finger through). Even someone heavy sitting in the passenger seat can cause the car to scrape the ground.

This is the reason I cannot lower the car otherwise that would have been the first modification I would have carried out.

Would the car look odd with 25/20's on standard suspension and RAYS?

I'm actually quite restricted with regards to lowering the car, as I have to go up a slope to reverse onto my driveway. At the moment, the clearance between the bumper and the surface is a matter of 2mm's (I can't even fit my finger through). Even someone heavy sitting in the passenger seat can cause the car to scrape the ground.

This is the reason I cannot lower the car otherwise that would have been the first modification I would have carried out.

nope, many people have done that same setup.

i run on 20mm front and 25 rears and it makes such a huge difference to the look of the 350, even makes it look

lower in my opinion which can only be a plus point in my book.

i wanted fat and low when i bought mine and was very tempted to go for 30's on the rear and 25's on the front but settled on the above setup and i'm glad i did.

Actually bought some springs at the same time to drop it but they've been gathering dust in my loft as i can't decide whether or

not to fit those as it looks loads better as it is.

And yes, having tyres that are outside the arch will fail the mot due to spray when raining. But 25 will be safe, 30 may work as well if you roll your arches over.

The regulations are something of a grey area here. As I read them, the tread of the tyre must not protrude from the widest part of the arch which on The Zed is at the top, so it's O.K to have the tyre wall sticking out.

I'll take a photo of The Roadster which recently passed its MOT which illustrates how far you can go. :)

P1014750.jpg

P1014749.jpg

These are obviously not standard Rays, but I've calculated the amount of protrusion is equivalent to having 27/28mm spacers on Rays. Oh yeah, standard suspension on this Zed. :thumbs:

Here's what 25mms look like on the front once again not standard rays but will give you some idea of how much they fill the arches, bad news is that they rub on occasions.

P1014751.jpg

P1014752.jpg

Pete

And yes, having tyres that are outside the arch will fail the mot due to spray when raining. But 25 will be safe, 30 may work as well if you roll your arches over.

The regulations are something of a grey area here. As I read them, the tread of the tyre must not protrude from the widest part of the arch which on The Zed is at the top, so it's O.K to have the tyre wall sticking out.

I'll take a photo of The Roadster which recently passed its MOT which illustrates how far you can go. :)

P1014750.jpg

P1014749.jpg

These are obviously not standard Rays, but I've calculated the amount of protrusion is equivalent to having 27/28mm spacers on Rays. Oh yeah, standard suspension on this Zed. :thumbs:

Here's what 25mms look like on the front once again not standard rays but will give you some idea of how much they fill the arches, bad news is that they rub on occasions.

P1014751.jpg

P1014752.jpg

Pete

They both look perfect in my opinion, however spacers come in increments of 5's right? That means I'll have to go for 25mm on the rear anyway...

With regards to the fronts, 25mm looks very nice too but I don't want them to rub. Will the standard RAYS be least likely to rub in comparison to these wheels? But then, the standard tyres are massive!!

Thanks a lot for taking the time out to post up pics! :thumbs:

i run on 20mm front and 25 rears and it makes such a huge difference to the look of the 350, even makes it look

lower in my opinion which can only be a plus point in my book.

i wanted fat and low when i bought mine and was very tempted to go for 30's on the rear and 25's on the front but settled on the above setup and i'm glad i did.

Actually bought some springs at the same time to drop it but they've been gathering dust in my loft as i can't decide whether or

not to fit those as it looks loads better as it is.

I reckon I will end up with the 20/25's as well if that is your experience and opinion with that set-up as a lot of others are suggesting that set-up too.

They both look perfect in my opinion, however spacers come in increments of 5's right? That means I'll have to go for 25mm on the rear anyway...

With regards to the fronts, 25mm looks very nice too but I don't want them to rub. Will the standard RAYS be least likely to rub in comparison to these wheels? But then, the standard tyres are massive!!

I believe you can get 3mm spacers from Halfords, I'm pretty certain that Colin has these on his 370Z, so you fit the 3mm spacers on first then add the 20mm hubcentrics.

As far as the tyres go, I've kept the rolling radius within 1% so there would be no difference between the arch clearance on the 20" wheels that I have on with 35 profile tyres and 18" Rays with 45 profile.

Pete

I believe you can get 3mm spacers from Halfords, I'm pretty certain that Colin has these on his 370Z, so you fit the 3mm spacers on first then add the 20mm hubcentrics.

As far as the tyres go, I've kept the rolling radius within 1% so there would be no difference between the arch clearance on the 20" wheels that I have on with 35 profile tyres and 18" Rays with 45 profile.

Pete

Ah that makes sense! Good thinking ;)

Isn't fitting 2 sets of spacers on one hub a bit dangerous? Won't a lot of the stress transfer onto the 3mm spacer? How much is this 3mm Halfords spacer?

Thanks,

Hassan

Isn't fitting 2 sets of spacers on one hub a bit dangerous? Won't a lot of the stress transfer onto the 3mm spacer? How much is this 3mm Halfords spacer?

Thanks,

Hassan

Yeah, thought about that, but as long as you torque them on properly then I don't see a problem with fitting 3mms plus 20mms as long as you don't fit the 3mm ones on top of the 20mm spacers. Anything bigger than 5mms could possibly cause more stress as you can't get enough turns on the wheel nuts and you need 9 turns (I think). Not sure of the exact price somewhere in the £10-15 range I would imagine.

EDIT...£14.99 on Halfords Website

Pete

Thanks,

Hassan

Yeah, thought about that, but as long as you torque them on properly then I don't see a problem with fitting 3mms plus 20mms as long as you don't fit the 3mm ones on top of the 20mm spacers. Anything bigger than 5mms could possibly cause more stress as you can't get enough turns on the wheel nuts and you need 9 turns (I think). Not sure of the exact price somewhere in the £10-15 range I would imagine.

EDIT...£14.99 on Halfords Website

Pete

Thank you for looking into this for me...appreciate it! :thumbs:

I've ordered a set of spacers, I'll be fitting them on this weekend. I will see how they look. If there is more room, I will add the Halfords spacers on :)

I've ordered a set of spacers from Eibach directly, I'll be fitting them on this weekend. I will see how they look. If there is more room, I will add the Halfords spacers on :)

I'd be interested to know how much they cost direct compared to through the traders on here.

I've ordered a set of spacers, I'll be fitting them on this weekend. I will see how they look. If there is more room, I will add the Halfords spacers on :)

I'd be interested to know how much they cost direct compared to through the traders on here.

Not much difference to be fair :thumbs:

Trader's products are very competitively priced on this forum

• 1 month later...
did you fit these spacers? if so any chance of some pics? :thumbs:

Hi mate,

Sorry I just realised you posted on this thread! It's difficult to compare as I don't have before and after pics from exactly the same angle. Also I got the rear Nismo spats fitted at the same time as the spacers which doesn't help compare. I haven't got before and after photos from the side of the car to show a clear difference, I'm sure another member will be able to help with this as there are plenty of members on here who have the RAYS wheels with standard suspension and 20/25mm spacers.

If you look at the before and after photos of the rear of the car, you'll notice in the after photo that the rear wheels are visible from sides of the car, giving the Zed a 'wider' look.

If I can provide any further assistance please let me know.

Pics are attached:

After:

photo414edited.jpg

photo320edited.jpg

photo220edited.jpg

photo3edited-4.jpg

Before:

photo5edited-6.jpg

photo2edited-2.jpg

photo5edited-4.jpg

photo4edited-2.jpg

photo4edited-1.jpg

• 2 months later...

20mm shouldnt rub on the arches even if it is lowered. a number of customers with lowered cars have purchased the spacers i do and the only ones to report slight rubbing on a lowered car was the 25mm. lowest bolt on spacers i can do you are 15mm :)

let me know if i can help :)