TCS vs Talent....

slimjim

I am sure the zed is not the right car for wannabes...it's more for the dedicated ;)

Experience is the point I was making and we know that even gaining that experience on track can lead to brushes with the barriers as the limits are explored ;)

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Zed isn't a particularly good base for a track car in the first place. Too heavy & too many electronics: It was designed as a road car which is where it excels. Sure, you can make it better on track, but an average Caterham is going to walk all over you for about 50% of the cost.

Driver of said Caterham will also be very wet and very cold when it starts raining, but you get the point.

The Zed isn't a particularly good base for a track car in the first place. Too heavy & too many electronics: It was designed as a road car which is where it excels. Sure, you can make it better on track, but an average Caterham is going to walk all over you for about 50% of the cost.

Driver of said Caterham will also be very wet and very cold when it starts raining, but you get the point.

I used to own a caterham copy- an MNR with a R1 bike engine. I can tell you one of these cars is in a different league to a 350z around a track.

I dont think any 350z owner really thinks they could hustle a well driven 7/ catherham/ MNR etc on track.

All we are doing is sharing knowledge on how to tweak the Z while at the track to make it a more fun, less nannying experience.

I dont go into detailing/ polishing related threads and call them crazy fools! :lol:

I dont think any 350z owner really thinks they could hustle a well driven 7/ catherham/ MNR etc on track.

Oh you'd be surprised: The amount of threads I've seen with "I was passing Elises/Caterhams/GT3s all day in my Zed!" on here beggars belief! :lol:

Oh you'd be surprised: The amount of threads I've seen with "I was passing Elises/Caterhams/GT3s all day in my Zed!" on here beggars belief! :lol:

But I did beat that GT3 :rant:

And then I woke up :lol:

Only deluded people. Well driven is the key words there for sure.

I could pass a GT2 RS on my push bike in traffic. :yahoo::yahoo:

They were parked in the pits though :D TBF, a friend of mine has just done a 8.34 at the Ring in a 230hp SX on road tyres, it can be done ........

Of course its not going to be in the same league as a trackday special, but I tell you the eye opener for me - after years of driving shonky driftcars or 200SX's on their limit of power to a track, having get the tools out when I arrive, change tyres, fiddle with suspension settings, suffer from noise on the way up and back its an absolute pleasure to cruise up, stick a helmet on, rag about with the air con blowing and then just drive back again. Seriously considering a European tour this winter as the car seems to be capable and is enough fun on track to warrant it :thumbs:

While I can understand that a standard Zed will be off the pace of a Caterham/Westfield etc a well sorted FI Zed (diff/brakes/susp mods) will hold its own on all but the twistiest of tracks.

On my last track day on the International Circuit in Mondello I had no problems running with Elises/Exiges/Caterhams etc. My mate who was on the pit wall timing was surprised that the Zed was quicker than the majority of them.

Having said that at a previous trackday (with Andlid) a turbo busa Westfield was probably one of the scariest yokes I've seen on a track and no amount of Zed power would have kept up.

So I guess its down to power to weight and suspension mods - I'm absolutely certain it'd be much easier and cheaper to make a Caterham/Westfield quicker than a Zed but then its nice to be able to drive to the track and drive home in comfort.

There we are again...mine is bigger than yours :lol:

I don't care who I overtake as long as I finish the track day with a massive grin on my face!

I ve overtaken a 996 911 turbo and got overtaken by a little corsa...and? I love a hood down dry day at cadwell hitting the brakes hard from close to 130 down to 60mph and accelerate sideways back to 100...and I am sure I can do that better with the aids off...or I think I can anyway....and if I get intimate with a tyre wall so what? As I said it is an expensive hobby to do in a zed :blush:

I've overtaken a 996 911 turbo and got overtaken by a little corsa...and?:

^^^^^^^^^ This.

It's all about fun. My mate in his 1.0 Polo he had at 17 would probably keep up with me in my Zed. His Polo was freakishly quick but also he was absolutely fearless.

My MNR was 8 seconds a lap quicker around cadwell park than my stripped out 321bhp e36 m3 evo.

The power to weight ratio is what makes a car quick around a tight track. But the car still has to be driven in the right way. A 1000 bhp per ton car will still be off the pace if the driver cant drive it properly.

Even with FI and a fancy diff and suspension, I dont see a Z keeping up with a well driven, high power to weight, 7 style car. Well done if you can though :thumbs:

I've overtaken a 996 911 turbo and got overtaken by a little corsa...and?:

^^^^^^^^^ This.

It's all about fun. My mate in his 1.0 Polo he had at 17 would probably keep up with me in my Zed. His Polo was freakishly quick but also he was absolutely fearless.

Totally aggree...

My first track experience was in a friends Volvo 360, which he had paid £250 for and ripped apart to make it light and stuck webbers on it.

We were dicking Scoobies, Evo's and Porches all over the place.

HE didn't care, throwing it into corners WAY too fast in the wet!

But only because the MOST damage he could do was £500ish to his own motor.

Where as it would be more than that if you touched the grass in the other motors...