How to - Remove front bumper

slimjim

Thought I would have a go...

Seems to be a little different on mine to the examples I could find.

Plus, no-one mentioned how the hell to take the damn washer jets!

First off... something is wrong...

Yup a big streak of bird crap... get that off first!

1.jpg

Ready...

2.jpg

Get me tools.

10mm socket

Ratchet and extension for ratchet

3.jpg

Unbolt all the 10mm bolts/screws from the front of the chin, holding the bumper to the @*!# shovel/undretray

5.jpg

Start thinking "im sure this isn't standard" When half of the screws are out of place and the bumper AND liners are torn and out of place.

11.jpg

Turn your wheels in.

12.jpg

Pull the liner back.

Get your socket in and undo the THREE screws.

I sat with one knee holding the liner back against the tyre and could then use two hands

All the other "how too's" said to only do TWO... but my metal sections were also attached with these stupid plastic sections. So I just removed all three bolts and it was easier to take out.

13.jpg

Then, you crack MOST of the plastic pop screws to bits as you try to remove them.

(I forgot to take a photo, so here is one I borrowed from Chesterfield's great guide, which I used.)

7.jpg

Then it all just pops off and falls forwar (so be sure you have a rag on the floor for it to fall on and you have moved all the screws so you don't loose them and/or they can't scratch the bumper.

THEN ... you try to work out how the HELL to remove the damn washer jets form the bumper!

I fist disconnected the pipe.. before realising it was going to just drain my washer fluid :blush:

14.jpg

So, what I ACTUALLY did was... take a tiny flat head screwdriver to the little catches on the inside of the flap...

These popped of and let me unscrew the unit from the bumper, letting me take it away.

28.jpg

Be ready with the cable ties to connect the washer to the metal loops under the lights. This way they will be out of the way and not siphon of all your washer fluid!

29.jpg

Then... look at yur bumper and pipes... and realise it MUST have been in an accident at some point due to over spray on the pipes and GM coloured Masking tape... :rant:

21.jpg

You can't really see... but here is why I took THREE bolts out each side.

25.jpg

Plastic connectors keep the metal section connected to the bumper. Presuming this isn't standard?

26.jpg

27.jpg

Anyway... this is what I was left with...

24.jpg

30.jpg

So... the REASON I did this (yes, there was a reason!) was to get at my leaking PAS RAD pipes...

Looks like they are just loose and need tightening up.

I put some jubilee clips on it THROUGH the grill a few months back. But it didn't do the trick as I couldn't tighten them up because it was too tight to get in to tighten them RIGHT up.

I THINK it is just the top pipe connection that is knackerd as it is clean above there......

15.jpg

16.jpg

Anyone care to comment?

Love the rug for a picnic!! :thumbs:

Great pics and superb guide. When you mentioned the miss-alignment of the undertray etc, I thought hmmmm gota have been taken off in the past and not put back correctly, and like you say, spray on the washer jet pipes.

Oh sorry mate forgot to mention about the pipes, secure these in a upright position so not to drain your fluids away. (ooops bit late for that tip now :blush: )

Oh and the car looks like it needs a good clean ;)

• 4 weeks later...

Nice post Jim. :thumbs:

Did you get to the cause of the leaking pipes?

I have the same issue, and I have also tried the jubilee clips, and I even paid silly money for new rubber pipes.... still leaking.... bah, grrrrrr! :bang:

Also, did the bumber go back on as 'easy' as it came off?

Not sure, but I think some folk may struggle with the plastic clips because they don't realise that if you continue to pull the centre pin up it will re-tighten the clip. They come out easily if you lift the pin halfway so that the legs can flex inwards as you draw the clip out.

I've never broken any, or had to force them...............but then I'm special :kicking

Not sure, but I think some folk may struggle with the plastic clips because they don't realise that if you continue to pull the centre pin up it will re-tighten the clip. They come out easily if you lift the pin halfway so that the legs can flex inwards as you draw the clip out.

I've never broken any, or had to force them...............but then I'm special :kicking

It took me 4 years & numerous black eyes & cuts to figure that out :blush: They bloody hurt when they catch you after being popped out by a screwdriver :lol:

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I have the same issue, and I have also tried the jubilee clips, and I even paid silly money for new rubber pipes.... still leaking.... bah, grrrrrr! :bang:

Turned out the pipes were perished, so replacing them sorted the problem :thumbs:

It was much easier going back on as I knew how I had taken it off, plus I had replacement screws and pop caps from ZManAlex :)

Start thinking "im sure this isn't standard" When half of the screws are out of place and the bumper AND liners are torn and out of place.

Mine were exactly the same. The garage mechanics tend to tear them to bits during a service as the bolts and clips are steel and attached to plastic.

As everyone other than Nissan seems to know, steel bolts and clips tend to rust when exposed to the elements under a car and will tear their mounting plastic when unbolting. :blush:

As for the other under tray fixings are concerned the mechanics who have serviced my car have just screwed them to any fixing they could find or used cable ties instead. :angry:

Ho hum the joys of DIY.

Nice guide by the way :thumbs:

Turned out the pipes were perished, so replacing them sorted the problem :thumbs:

It was much easier going back on as I knew how I had taken it off, plus I had replacement screws and pop caps from ZManAlex :)

Yay, there's hope for me yet! :thumbs:

• 10 months later...

Nice Giude :thumbs:

I seem to remember knuckles and thumbs take a bit of a battering when removing the bumper.

Its worth also noting that the two plastic screw holding the bumper to the wing are rubbish. So if your thinking of doing this get a few spares from Zmanalex :thumbs:

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 7 months later...

Thread revival!!!!!!!!!!

Boys and girls, it's dunce time.

I'm contemplating putting the INGS replica bumper on which has been in the garage for about 6 months, two questions:

1. Headlight washers, is there a fuse/easy way to disable the washers?

2. The bumper I'm putting on has an air intake hole, will this be ok with my standard air filter/box set up i.e. do I need to worry about water coming in or other bits of crap/insects/badgers etc?

Any help muchos appreciated :)