Do u judje peeple by there speling?

Husky

It may be bad but I've found more and more that I do these days. I don't so much judge people on the miss spelling of difficult words or missing capitalisations or even punctuation, but things like "text speak" drive me nuts. I actually find myself having a low opinion of someone if they really can't communicate properly in writing. First impressions count I guess and spelling badly is a good way to make people think you are a clueless moron.

One massive bug bear is the spelling in the title of a thread. This is going to be the first thing anyone looks at regarding what you are asking, they will read it and consider if it is worth their time to help you out. If you can't be bothered to check the spelling of the title or even use words in the correct order then why do you expect people to help? A topic title like "was you happy wen you brought your zed" sits there and stares at me...

Is it wrong that I judge people like this before I've even met them? :blush:

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Watz u gys tlkin bout?

haha! Yes, I have to agree John. It drives me nutz from time to time. My mates mum is an english exam marker and she told me that she gets text speak at Higher level :surrender:

Over the years we have employed a few school leavers and it saddens me to say that some of them could barely read or write!

My own son's homework had comments written by teachers who could not spell. What hope is there?

I'm just a grumpy old g*t.

Probably, as not everyone is academic and or literate. Then you have to consider age, as with txtspk, that's the language of the young now, or at least it's becoming their written "speak".

Having written reports and documents for years in a military environment, JSP 101 was my bible (those in the military will recognise this document), where if there wasn't two spaces after a full stop or a space after a comma, would drive me into purple, perplexed maniac when red penning reports and documents :lol: .

Paragraphs that are too large drive me bonkers as well. Paragraphs should just be two or three well constructed and legible sentences and no more. More in a paragraph just makes me "scan" read and not take anything in.

Then there is paragraph numbering and lettering........................................................I could go on, but in conclusion, just because spelling and grammar are bad, doesn't mean the writer is a twit, just not as adept at the written word.

You're just getting old, old chap :lol:

Over the years we have employed a few school leavers and it saddens me to say that some of them could barely read or write!

My own son's homework had comments written by teachers who could not spell. What hope is there?

I'm just a grumpy old g*t.

My boss wrote on my end of year review, he had to comment on each section under the paragraph or so I had written. Bearing in mind this is important stuff for my career I was more than annoyed to find; spelling mistakes, half sentences and next to zero punctuation.

My mates mum is an english exam marker and she told me that she gets text speak at Higher level :surrender:

I think I would need a new job or a hammer to end my suffering

Must admit to using 'txt spk' (in text messages only!) but aside from that I totally agree. The thing that really gets on my tits, and it's amazing how many people do it, is the misuse of their/there/they're, your/you're, and fewer/less :rant::rant:

Ahh feel much better having got that off my chest! Great thread idea! :lol:

My mates mum is an english exam marker and she told me that she gets text speak at Higher level :surrender:

I think I would need a new job or a hammer to end my suffering

I think she would want to use the hammer on the kids instead of herself :blush::lol:

Ooooooh JSPs, exciting stuff! :kicking

I commit a few apostrophe abominations but usually catch myself, but text speak outside of a text (and even in one, really) grinds my gears, and I am probably in the first generation that was still growing up when phones hit mass market. Apparently people even submit CVs and covering letters using such lingo, and my photographer friend suffers models coming out with that stuff all the time too. :(

Watz u gys tlkin bout?

haha! Yes, I have to agree John. It drives me nutz from time to time. My mates mum is an english exam marker and she told me that she gets text speak at Higher level :surrender:

:p

Using your mod powers there by anychance martin? :p That is only one pint of whisky now :lol:

Watz u gys tlkin bout?

:p

Using your mod powers there by anychance martin? :p That is only one pint of whisky now :lol:

I think other forces may be at work Jay. I will consult my crystal ball and work out who esle owes US a drink . ;)

Having written reports and documents for years in a military environment, JSP 101 was my bible (those in the military will recognise this document), where if there wasn't two spaces after a full stop or a space after a comma, would drive me into purple, perplexed maniac when red penning reports and documents :lol: .

oh lord, you have just brought a new insight to part of my childhood...

I try with grammar and punctuation ....... I'm more maths oriented actually, but having a librarian as a mother ensured that my use of the English language was corrected when and where necessary.

I do think that it is a sign of the times that standards have slipped to such a low level, and yes I'll hesitate to read a thread that has grammatical errors; I also regularly give up on non or badly punctuated posts.

PS John

Bugbear is one word :p

I take it your dad was a military man who checked your homework? If not I'm intrigued.....

We were warned by a chemistry teacher, any issues and you get 100 lines.

I forgot to put a title on my submission which had to be in ink not biro.

I was given 100 lines and they were to be in the next day. i will never foget the.

I must put a title on all my work in the future as putting a title on my work is very important. If I dont put a title on my work I will get 200 lines instead of 100 lines and lines are a waste of time.

All in "real" ink.

Muppet. :dry:

am soz 2 say :yuck:

I have actually made the mistake of letting my mind wander whilst posting,

I realised what it looked like and edited it straight away..

I don't have an issue with the odd spelling mistake, or the obvious 'using the phone to reply' mistakes, but blatant disregard for everything English is rather annoying..

Will

If we did not put A.M.D.G. at the start of our reports at school they would rip the report up infront of you...... well seeing I did that a few times..... so I could get extra time to do an assignment :blush::blush::lol:

Just avoiding the philosophical discussion going on - but answering the thread title...no never - in this 'virtual' world you don't know if someone is actually dislexic or just lazy or plain ignorant so no I don't 'judge' people based on their spelling or use of grammar.

I take it your dad was a military man who checked your homework? If not I'm intrigued.....

ohh yes. What you typed there made it all come flooding back :lol: :lol: Whole fricken essays proof read.

I remember once having a "discussion" saying that I simply couldn't put "this presentation will tell" in place of my original "this presentation will show" because I was only in primary 6 and as much as I agreed he was correct the teacher would stop believing it was my own work :lol: