WALES 2011 (Husky) & camera van

Husky

Yup - they will have the same targets as any other area, and due to the area being all but dead for about six months of the year, they make up their targets for the year by hammering the summer months.

Backing a van up to a wall/hedge and effectively hiding the "safety" vehicle. Positioning a "safety" vehicle on the exit to a 30 zone specifically designed to cath people who go just over the limit as they accellerate into a national speed limit zone, just flys in the face of the entire reason that we are told these devices exist. To promote and ensure safety on our roads.

As John says, this specific camera would have had ZERO effect on slowing cars down who may have been doing 40 in the middle of the 30 zone, which being in the centre of the pedestrian zone would be far more dangerous.

This camera was positioned specifically to meet targets and generate revenue, and there is absolutely no way what so ever that its position can be justified in the name of safety. Its about time specific and clear rules were drawn up for the positioning of these, and the public could take their own legal action if the cameras do not meet with these requirements.

Its just like positioning speed cameras painted bright yellow, and then letting trees grow behind them to hide them. The police know full well what they are doing and they dont seem to give a stuff what they do to the relationship with or perception of the public.

Ive also recalculated the revenue they would lose in Wales if our club decided not to visit any more because of this moronic use of speed cameras.

Room was about £150 for three nights, now although not everyone stays for three, some only stay one, and others two, so lets have an average of two nights. Thats £100 - say two people per room and average 80 people for the two days, thats £4000 in hotel rooms. Food and drink - carvery, £14 per person including the tip x 80, BBQ £500 for the group, drinks at the bar, say £20 per person over the weekend x 100 people, fuel that was purchased - even just £50 per car at 30 cars..

Rooms: £4000

Carvery £1120

BBQ: £500

Drinks: £2000

Fuel: £1500

Plus other items such as shopping on the Saturday, garden centre purchases, trade to local dent guy etc - A safe £1000 across the whole group of people.

Total: £10,120 per weekend.

Two weekends a year - thats over £20,000 in revenue to Welsh companies and traders. If they served everyone in our party with a £60 FPN, they would generat £3000 in revenue and over two years remove over £40,000 in revenue for local businesses.

If I owned the hotel or restaurant our group stops at, I'd be complaining as loud and publicly as I could about how motorists are treated in Wales.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Here you go. Im guessing backed up to the wall pointing in the direction of the transit van (last 100 yards of the 30 zone).

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=d&sourc ... 4,,0,17.31

I didnt notice it either, so Ill probably get a ticket too :lol:

Yup that's the one Chris but had just edited my previous post with the same location :thumbs:

Yes and backed up against the wall facing the transit :thumbs:

I didnt notice it either, so Ill probably get a ticket too :lol:

Well, Caroline who was directly behind me and one in front of you spotted it and reckons we were under the limit at that point. From the looks of it I'd say the actual spot where they take the speed reading would be roughly where the white van is in the google street view image. ChrisS or Luke might be able to confirm our speed.

Pete

Surely there's something we can do about this?

Legally no - he was speeding in a 30 limit.

Legally they are right, morally - well its debatable :thumbdown:

The only thing that can be questioned is the placement of the camera and what laws there are that govern it in Wales. I think most places have "guidelines" which Police like to ignore

The very strict guidelines for placement of speed cameras end with a disclaimer stating that failure to adhere to the guidlines cannot be used as a defence which makes the guidelines pointless. :dry:

:rant: Still hating this country!!

Living next to one of the most dangerous roads in the country which is generally closed once a week after crashes I am all for road safety. I am still totally unconvinced that the vans are making any difference.

I agree, camera's in the right locations. Nothing more, nothing less.

The vans I would say are fine, if they are clearly marked, just like the camera's with a pre-warning that police speed checks are being undertaken in that area.

It would create more of an awareness within the WHOLE village rather than a short section prior to the national speed limit.

As everybody has pointed out the van is being used as a cash point!!

I don't think I can post any more into this thread it's winding me up this wonderful place we call Great Britain - there's nothing GREAT about it!!

if you like the place i got done (which has been correctly identified), on my way back past to go home they were using this little corker google street view looking at it now im wondering how long it took to reverse the van in there, or even how it fitted at all! :wacko:

thankyou for the screen grab of streetview, i will use that for my letter to the tourist orifice :thumbs:

at least it didnt take 3 months for it to come in the post... thought I might have been caught on camera once... didnt hear anything so thought grand got out of that one... 3 months later... letter in the postbox and penalty charges count from the date they put them on so got an extra 3 months stamped :rant:

:drunk: happy friday today!

at least it didnt take 3 months for it to come in the post... thought I might have been caught on camera once... didnt hear anything so thought grand got out of that one... 3 months later... letter in the postbox and penalty charges count from the date they put them on so got an extra 3 months stamped :rant:

Over here (not sure its the same over there) they have 14 days to issue notice otherwise its null and not valid :thumbs:

Over here (not sure its the same over there) they have 14 days to issue notice otherwise its null and not valid :thumbs:

think it's 3 months... bottom line is if you contest it it's court and double points and fine if the judge is in a bad mood, and it's not like I wasnt speeding, yet if it was a few km/h over the speedlimit. at least I wasnt unlucky in getting 10 penalty points over the course of a week like my mate did :bangin:, he didnt know that a ccamera van took photos of him daily...

3 pics of the approach to the layby in question, to show how easy people could get caught - hardly gives the impression of a particularly hazardous spot, combined with the fact half the van is hidden and it is parked just as you approach the 60 zone - with no intermediate 40 zone to suggest it is still a relatively hazardous location.

Purely and simply to gain revenue, given we drove by hundreds of potentially more dangerous locations over the weekend and no sign of them being safety conscious there :dry: