Stability

rob d

Whilst on a private road the other day, I took the Z above 140. Below this point there are no issues but crossing this shows instability issues. It gets a bit twitchy and scuttering around. I certainly didnt have the confidance to max it. :dummy:

How do I calm this ? I dont really want a coffee table on the boot lid - it's a rag top.

Would a splitter give enough to make a difference ?

Suggestions please :bounce:

I think the quality of the road surface has a lot to do with it. The allotted will make no difference unless it has very aggressive huge canards attached to it.

You would need to upgrade all suspension, antiroll bars and fit wings etc. Alex's car demonstrates exactly what could be done with the rag top. His car feels planted at any speed.

I suspect that if you done that speed on track your car would feel smooth as the surfaces are very different to everyday "private roads" ;)

the road surface has a huge part to play. you are doing over 205 feet per second.

in my ST, i used it on a private road and got about 120ish out of it but felt very skittish, on a track at the same speed it felt quite planted. but they rail roaded like nobodys business.

I think the quality of the road surface has a lot to do with it. The allotted will make no difference unless it has very aggressive huge canards attached to it.

You would need to upgrade all suspension, antiroll bars and fit wings etc. Alex's car demonstrates exactly what could be done with the rag top. His car feels planted at any speed.

I suspect that if you done that speed on track your car would feel smooth as the surfaces are very different to everyday "private roads" ;)

I found that the canards made my car a lot more twitchy, although the lack of undertray & arch liners at the time didnt help :lol:

lol I just seen I made a fatal spelling mistake due to iPhone predictive, it should I've said the splitter will make no difference.

Lol Ian what canards did you have? Ive was hunting down some for the nismo v1 bumper but abbey advised I'd be wasting my time unless the suspension set up was very very hard so I got quite an aggressive toe set up and the turn in is very very sharp. Feels much better. Running 2.8 degree negative camber on front aswell. Very impressed with it.

Do you have a rear spoiler?

If you look at what ZMANALEX uses, (and it wouldn't be for show) that tells you one is necessary and not just the lip spoiler size as on the coupe.

Remember the problems they had with the early TT's, so the rear spolier is what I would look ar first ;)

thank you all very much for the feedback. So a coffee table it is then ?

It is a concern that it all gets twitchy at the fun end, even more so if i get pipes and a remap. What that would be like at 170 ?????? :scare:

There is a thread somewhere about convertibles with spoilers....

Unless you have access to a wind tunnel or some serious track time and datalogging equipment, you'll never really know exactly what wing size you need for high-speed. Also worth bearing in mind that they're needed to generate downforce through a high-speed corner, not just a straight line: Look at the Veyron when it goes into it's max speed mode, all spoilers stay firmly down and it drops itself to the floor. That's what you're after for high speed stability in a straight line.

good point. I am after that planted feel at any speed in any 'direction' curves or straights.

I COULD slow down of course :clap:

I will need to speak to people on meets I think, get some feedback and see what they have fitted.

Unless anyone here can attest ???

There is so many thing which contribute to the cars handling characteristics.

I gave stuarty a shot of my car. Although my car is tuned etc the biggest difference was they feel of the drive he said. My car feels very nimble and agile whereas when I drove his it feels like a true grand tourer- very comfortable, very smooth and not a harsh ride. The steering felt a fair bit heavier also. My car feels the way it feels as I've changed the wheel alignment and ride height and dampening and compression of the shockers.

Stuarty will be better at explaining the difference as his car is the first I've drove which is standard. His car is beautiful and so smooth, a perfect example whereas mines definately feels like it should be on a track somewhere.

Everyone seems to have access to a right network of private roads :dry:

Awww, no one shown you the map? :teeth:

:lol: to be honest I don't think I need a private road - I was struggling keeping up on the Wales run never mind going any faster!