Strange staining type damage on one of my wheels?

tobys

Hi all,

Cleaned by Z for first time since buying her yesterday and used some wheel mitts to get the Rays super clean.

3 are excellent but the passenger front appears to have either stains or damage on it.

looks like something has been sprayed or dribbled down it leaving numerour streaky marks - which won't come off! :thumbdown:

wp000093.th.jpg

wp000092g.th.jpg

wp000091.th.jpg

wp000090.th.jpg

Not sure what this can be but car recently overheated a bit (fast radiator fan failed and coolant boiled over) and this was replaced and coolant changed by garage i bought car from.

Could the coolant boiling over (or garage) have caused the wheel damage???

Only other thing I can think it might be is cat or dog urine??

Any help massively appreciated - either on cause or cure!

Might be able to take it back to garage that did the radiator fan work if there's a belief it was them.

Thanks,

Toby

If you have just bought it it's probably the horrible oily tyre black stuff the dealers put on the tyres flinging onto the wheels. You can see if this is the case by wiping your finger over the tyre - if it comes off oily and black you have found the culprit. It is a right bastard to get off too but a neat degreaser will do it.

This happened to me on a previous car. I think I was using something too strong for the wheel and it had basically melted the brake dust and had a reaction with the wheel paint and looked exactly like yours. It is now embedded into the paint. But if you didnt use anything strong on the wheels than I dont know what it could be. :wacko:

Can you feel it when you run your finger over it?

If you can, what does it feel like?

I'd be tempted to try a clay bar.....

Thanks for all the responses.

Feel slightly different to rest of wheel surface when finger ran over it. Finger doesn't get dirty and gently rubbing with edge of finger nail doesn't shift it.

To be honest it kinda looks like brake dust, only (unlike the rest) it didn't wash off. Maybe it's reacted with something that sprayed up the wheel and baked on / into the finish (hence my thoughts about coolant or urine).

Will get some fo what RT says and give it a go myself. Don't ideally want to have this one refurbed as it's in good nick, unlike the other front - thanks clumsy tire fitters!

Certainly try the clay - I used it recently on the wheels to help remove some stubborn tar spots, but use a good polish afterwoods and then 2 or 3 coats of rim wax - that will help to clear the brake dust etc in the future :thumbs:

• 2 months later...

OK progress:

Clay bar is moving it, but sooo slowly. :headhurt: Got some good arm muscles now though.

Took almost an hour to do one (minorly affected) spoke.

Gonna get some Bilberry as RT suggested and try that first.

Another thought - are all clay bars equal - ie. is it like snadpaper and there are different grades of clay. It's Autoglym I have.

Any other tips that might speed it up - less lube, more pressure applied whilst doing it...?

Thanks again all!

Toby.