How to make an exhaust quieter

SteveW

Well MOT has come round.

Sadly I failed because the car is "significantly louder than an equivalent vehicle of the same type" some kind of newish regulation.

The MOT tester just said fill the exhaust with wadding and use the bungs to keep it in for the test then take it out.

Does anyone know what material I could use? I was thinking a load of wire wool?

Its literally for the noise for the MOT test.

Stupid K1, lol

Has anyone else come across this?

Cheers

Steve

There isn't/wasn't a legal noise limit for cars - its only for bikes

There is. Any exhaust that is modified to be louder than standard for its age and type is a failure - its all down to the testers discretion. Quite a new one (last 2 years or so) due to the amount of Barry cans. Police can also pull you over and test db levels as they do with window tints etc

There is. Any exhaust that is modified to be louder than standard for its age and type is a failure - its all down to the testers discretion. Quite a new one (last 2 years or so) due to the amount of Barry cans. Police can also pull you over and test db levels as they do with window tints etc

Testers discretion - If its down to them then surely there is no set legal limit as it would be either a fail or a pass :shrug:

Testers discretion - If its down to them then surely there is no set legal limit as it would be either a fail or a pass :shrug:

+1

+1

As said above. THERE IS NO LEGAL LIMIT on exhaust volume.

It is totally at the testers discretions as to whether he thinks it is overly loud. So if you get some a**e who doesnt like the sound, or hates modded cars, and brands us all as boy racers, then you're buggered.

Take it to a performance garage near you. You'll be fine.

Thats a good point fellas. Thank you.

Its not overly loud, or maybe I'm deaf, I've never been turned away from a track with it and its only loud when you give it beans.

I suppose why waste the cash on wadding might as well just pay for another MOT and put it down to experience in future don't wait til last minute for an MOT!

It was the only place I could get in at such short notice.

Onwarsd and upwards as my boss always says.

The K1 is :clap:

So, are we going to hear around Wales this Sunday and you going to let me have your food order ;)

viewtopic.php?f=57&t=49337

Hi Colin,

Please accept my apologies I haven't been keeping up to date with the goings on of the Wales meet.

:scare:

Unfortunately for me I can't make it anymore.

The original nurburgring plans fell through, but, instead we booked in on a trackday.

To be honest had totally forgot Wales was this weekend..............

I am sorry for any inconvenience caused.

Steve