does my Z lie to me?

MLC35

Hello all,

i recently did an oil change (Millers SSX 5/30w) with UFI filter, and fitted a new Scorpion exhaust (with bumper tuck - looks good).

I then filled up with Tesco Momentum, hit the A1, reset the average speed and consumption and switched on the cruise contol.

Speed read outs as follows:

- Speedo dial 72mph

- digital speedo 70mph

- average speed 65mph

Eh.....? :headhurt:

However this was my mpg: 38.1 - is my Z lying to me?

We averaged 32mpg over 1700 miles of driving through Europe.......it was 34mpg but trying to keep up with Thomas Sorensen did some right damage to my frugal fuel consumption.

I don't reckon 38 is impossible over a short period in very specific driving conditions.

The read out was as a result of travelling from York to middlesbrough:

A64 - cruise control on 70mph

A1 - cruise control on 70mph

A19 - cruise control on 70mph

A174 - cruise control on 70mph

then a bit of urban to my house.

all in all about an hour behind the wheel.

Whats the score with the different speed displays - how can the car tell me 3x different things at the same time?

Well your average speed is obviously an average so its not really relevant to compare it to the other 2.

Analogue and digital readouts prob will vary a wee bit..........you'll find if you had a sat nav in there too it'd prob be different again!

although i have had the car for just over a year i have not taken any notice of the mpg display.

However, it sounds like you lot think it is fairly accurate - i had heard it was a waste of time looking at it.

Will be back to my standard commute this week, which should see a drastic reduction.

I will kep my eye on it, but continue to tell the missus its boolocks when showing anything under 38mpg :teeth:

Yeah my sat nav seems to show that the analogue dial is accurate up to about 50mph and then it starts to read over with 70mph on the dial equating to 67mph on the sat nav. I guess the digital one would show different to the analogue due to rounding up or down as the digital one only gives whole mph values.

Highest mpg on a run I have seen is 34.8mpg doing 45-50mph over about 30 miles on country roads. Normally average 24-26mpg over a tank on my normal work run from Horsham to Crawley (12 miles each way some urban/traffic and then A roads).

I find the mpg display is about 0.4 -0.6mpg optermistic (I reset with each fill up) against calculated mpg from brimming the tank and working it out which is pretty good. My old Ibiza TDi used to be about 6-7mpg optermistic using the same reset method each tank against calculation which is very poor.

Normally average 24-26mpg over a tank on my normal work run from Horsham to Crawley (12 miles each way some urban/traffic and then A roads).

Interesting... Where in Crawley do you work mate, as I very rarely see another Zed here?

Speed wise - you're going to get a more accurate result from the sat nav as its giving you a measurement over the ground, whereas speedos are factury adjusted downwards - it helps you keep within the speed limit :lol:

Normally average 24-26mpg over a tank on my normal work run from Horsham to Crawley (12 miles each way some urban/traffic and then A roads).

Interesting... Where in Crawley do you work mate, as I very rarely see another Zed here?

I work at the big set of buildings on the corner of Manor Royal. I see a few zeds around here and someone else has an 04 GM where I work as well (although it has a big dent in the passenger door) . I even saw a nismo kitted zed a week or two back right outside work and a 370. So a few about.

I'm averaging 200 miles out a tank just now. Mpg on dash is 13.2mpg average.

Wow - do you have trouble getting out of second gear? :lol:

tried the same run again today with slightly lower results. So i reckon if you drive them careful they are not too hard on fuel.

However i reset the display and had some fun through an A road in Yorkshire and got 22mpg back, which is more in keeping with what i expected.

Fun costs money these days at £1.40 a litre :scare:

I'm averaging 200 miles out a tank just now. Mpg on dash is 13.2mpg average.

Wow - do you have trouble getting out of second gear? :lol:

tried the same run again today with slightly lower results. So i reckon if you drive them careful they are not too hard on fuel.

However i reset the display and had some fun through an A road in Yorkshire and got 22mpg back, which is more in keeping with what i expected.

Fun costs money these days at £1.40 a litre :scare:

lmao 4th is my favourite gear, 1st and 2nd just want to spin those 275r19 pirelli's on the rear. Time for better tyres me thinks