DIY Carbon roof wrap a retards guide by RT & BM

rtbiscuit

Ok so today was a lazy day and bullet magnet rang me last night to see if he could pop over and look at some new carbon vinyl i had for wrapping so he could compare it to the di-noc he'd used before. well one thing led to another and before we knew it we were in bed togeth....oh no hang on wrong story :blush: no basically it worked out that i had enough material that BM wanted some to play with. we went out with a tape measure and it works out that i get my carbon vinyl in rolls wide enough to do the roof of a ZED without having to stretch it out to get ti to fit. my rolls are about 1400 mm wide. and what ever lenght i cut it too. i think the final piece he bought was 1100 mm long and it allowed plenty of over hang.

now originally the plan was that he was picking up the vinl and then going on to see a mate. then he gets the bright idea of trying it now, and this is a little photo diary of what we got up to. so the cheeky bastard paid for the vinyl and got my labour chucked in for free :scare::surrender: . but i mut admit we had a laugh doing it and we both learnt alot.

i only remembered to get my camera out after we stuck it down, but the rest of the pictures show what we did from there. to get it stuck down really is a 2 person job, but its not as hard as we thought it was going to be especially as we did it outside in what felt like a force 3 gale :lol: we started at the windsreen and peeled the backing paper from underneath as we progressed across the roof. using squeegies we slowly applied it down just lifiting and re sticking as we went to get rid of any air and creases. we even amanged to do it without using a heat gun, but it would have helped more for doing the creases.

1Startingthewrap.jpg

2.jpg

at the rear we just tucked it under so no edge was visible.

4rearedge.jpg

5rearedge.jpg

10finishedfront.jpg

because we removed the A and B pillars it made hiding the edge really easy and we didn't have to be to precise on cutting.

11reassemblesides.jpg

12.jpg

13.jpg

The windscreen was easier than we thought it was going to be, we'd both worked out that we were going to tuck it under and use the ridge line in the middle to mark it, but it went really well.

we removed the waste material first

6windscreen.jpg

7windscreen.jpg

and then carefully lifted the vinyl back and then lifted the weather strip back and ran it down sticking the vinyl underneath and the weather strip on top, so they swapped positions.

8tucking.jpg

9tucking.jpg

finished job

14sidesfinished.jpg

15.jpg

16.jpg

17.jpg

all in all the job went well, and BM seemed happy with the finish. i think total time taken between the 2 of us was an hour and a half.

Think you might be a busy boy now you have posted this. :lol:

Good job chaps. :thumbs:

i'm happy to supply the material if people want it. but i don't think i want to get to involved in the wrapping, as i want to focus more on my Hydrographics, and thats seems to have got sidelined at the moment with all the vinyl work

nice work indeed :)

in the forth pic down (closeup) the weave looks a little wonky or is it my eyes :blush:

it doesn't photograph well, there is a very minor distortion to the weave as you go over the curve of the roof. but the camera make sit look worse than it is. in comparison to roofs i;ve seen done by pros with Di-noc this has worked better, as its the right size you don't need to stretch an extra 10 cm out of the material to make it fit.

Nice work lads, how much for a roof sized piece of that stuff and how much for a roof sized piece of normal black stuff as if it was sprayed black?

1370 x 1100 mm would be £50.00 ex p+p not sure on postage costs yet as i'd need to look into sourcing some poster tubes long enough to post it in. but my guess would be between £5-£10

if there was enough interest i suppose i could do a GB on it

as for the black on its own it depends on which black, i.e. matt, satin, gloss, metallic etc, i think gloss would be about half the cost of carbon, and the others i'm not sure on i'd need to contact the manufacturer. i buy direct from the manufacturer so no middle man costs. their minimum order is usually 5 metres. but i can get it by the metre for people if they want other colours.

That's great work guys!

You made it look so simple .. LoL

I don't have any other carbon on the car so it'd probably look out of place on mine .. but I'd be interested in the plain black wrap if available ..

I was thinking maybe satin or gloss ...

:thumbs:

nice work indeed :)

in the forth pic down (closeup) the weave looks a little wonky or is it my eyes :blush:

it doesn't photograph well, there is a very minor distortion to the weave as you go over the curve of the roof. but the camera make sit look worse than it is. in comparison to roofs i;ve seen done by pros with Di-noc this has worked better, as its the right size you don't need to stretch an extra 10 cm out of the material to make it fit.

ah no worries, thought as much :)

will you do the work too :blush::lol:

well done lads, thought you had to use a heat gun!

that last photo posted by bullet looks sweet, crappy camera used before that I'd say? (as stated) Wonder what the neighbours thought of you two putting a cloth on the car :teeth:

love it always wanted to do this but didnt want to be ripped off by the wrapping people.

happy to sort you out with some material if you want, just need to find yourself a buddy to help

BM and i both had quotes of about £150 inc VAT to wrap a roof, so this method saves you about £100 i suppose, even if it took you 2 attempts your still £50 cheaper than a wrapper.

Rich,

Did I dream it or did you say you were trying to do something for the wing mirror black nasty bit sometime ago? :wacko: If I didn't dream it any news? If I did just ignore my bank holiday ramblings :blush::lol:

i'm happy to supply the material if people want it. but i don't think i want to get to involved in the wrapping, as i want to focus more on my Hydrographics, and thats seems to have got sidelined at the moment with all the vinyl work

Rich,

Did I dream it or did you say you were trying to do something for the wing mirror black nasty bit sometime ago? :wacko: If I didn't dream it any news? If I did just ignore my bank holiday ramblings :blush::lol:

its in the pipe line, :blush: the hydro graphics has got sidelined for a little bit, but some new things from me are due out soon. i suppose its the problem with having a day job :blush::lol: as well as 2nd job.

Tips for the job:

- use magnets to hold sheet in place

- use squeegees, even better if they are felt covered

- use hairdryer/heatgun to avoid creases and stuff

- be patient

- get a mate to help, do not attempt this on your own

- try to avoid windy weather