Should we restrict viewing?

Chesterfield

Should we be accessible to"guests"  

85 members have voted

1. 1. Should we be accessible to"guests"

• Keep the forum accessible to the public without needing to register.
    • Restrict viewing to those taking the time to register

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Keep it free please.

For me browsing the forum and learning from these forums was was a significant factor in actually chosing to get one. If I was on the fence I may not have registered

Having read the first page the issue was never to charge people anyway just to restrict the viewing of posts to members to encourage more to join and stop people seeing forum discounts/guides/pics etc with out having to join in.

So even if this was an up to date post as a member you have nothing to worry about anyway!

I dont think locking it down to registered users only is worth it. As it has been said, it does not use anyhting other than a very small amount of bandwidth having anyone gaining access and no other aditional costs, the only issue people seem to be raising is security. However this is a failed argument surly as if someone wanted to steal info they would register, then have access so locking it is not going to acheive any greater security. People should be careful of what they place on a forum even if it is a pay to access site never mind a free one. you never know who is a registered member.

I think you may lower the number of potentialy good people on here. I personaly hate registering on website just to see whats in them, because you then run the risk of huge amount so of spam mail, constantly having to give out persoanl details etc. One of the reasons i joined this site was because i could see what i was getting before giving you my info.

If i had not been able to browse the forum and see that there were active members and that a lot of useful if past through, i would have probably skiped this site for another one.

If there was a real cost, fair enough lock it down, but i cant see what you are gaining. If you dont lock it down, you would probably get better members and the openess would be appreciated and you would have less 0 post accounts.

hope this helps, happy motoring.

Right, I'm owed 5 mins of my life for reading all that only to realise it was 2006!! :dry:

same here :dry:

although i might suggest a partial lock out.

for instance the tech info areas and the welcome pages are open, but you have to register to access the sales and traders threads.

the FTO forum i found was a very well laid out place, had some interesting setup ideas.

the civinfo.com forum had a dedicated members thread that if you had signed up and made a donation gave you access to a VIP forum section, with a txting bar at the top, a bit like a chat room.

i think this site is pretty good, signing up or not to me makes little difference. i have looked at so many cars that i'm signed up on most manufacturers car forums, although i only really go on here.