Insurance Declarations

Hotpot

I plan on fitting a panel filter and getting the plenum spacers and Uprev done. As these mods are well hidden, is it really necessary to declare them? I mean, would they really check for these in the event of a claim?

i declared my exhaust and panel filter was only about 20 quid more , as a matter of interest

do you have to declare a throttle controller ?

It doesnt give you any more bhp but wondering if they would not pay out if they found out you have one fitted ?

Although it doesn't increase the BHP - it could still be seen as a performance enhancing mod - so I'd say declare it - probably won't cost you much more, if anything.

For what it's worth, when my first MX-5 got written off the insurance company did send two guys out to come and inspect my car. They told me the visit was to assess the damage but I suspect they were checking for undeclared mods too (everything was declared though). They did ask me about the wheels but I was quick to let them know they were declared. They didn't mention the turbo conversion though! :bangin: The fact that they didn't know what had actually been declared made me realise they probably didn't work directly for the insurance company and so didn't know my policy details.

They were only there about 5 minutes and weren't especially thorough, they didn't even pop the bonnet IIRC. That's not to say other insurers wouldn't be though, but I was with Adrian Flux who are supposed to be pretty clued up on this stuff. I did wonder if it was going to get a more thorough going over at the salvage yard they were moving it it to whilst the claim was being dealt with. However, when the salvage guy came to take the car he told me that his daughter had an MX-5 and that most of the mods would "be on her car tomorrow". :scare: He obviously didn't realise that the car was still legally mine at that point and he was actually admitting to me he was going to steal from me! I used that little gem in a letter of complaint to ensure I secured a very fair settlement for my car! ;)

So in summary I would say you need to be careful about obvious stuff like wheels and bodykits, which to be fair attract only a small extra on your premium. For something like an Uprev remap I would think it virtually impossible to be caught. That said, if someone had been killed or seriously injured in my accident then things might have been very different.

Regarding things like upgraded panel filters or brake discs and pads I'm not so sure. I mean, when most people put their "normal" cars in for a service with an independent garage, the garage will quite often use non-OEM air filters and brake pads/discs etc without telling the customer. So what's the difference with installing a Cosworth panel filter, given it will probably make no difference whatsoever to performance anyway? If anyone knows how insurance companies view this sort of thing I would be interested to know.

• 3 weeks later...
Always declare mods though on our scheme, we wouldn't tend to load for most.

I got a knockback from ChrisKnott. I can't remember whether it was because of the Manchester postcode or if it was because of a high volume of claims with that particular model of car. Those are the two knockbacks I had from two different companies. One from each.

And I'm 46 with 12 years no claims and keep it garaged!!!

I got a knockback from ChrisKnott. I can't remember whether it was because of the Manchester postcode or if it was because of a high volume of claims with that particular model of car. Those are the two knockbacks I had from two different companies. One from each.

It may not be the car which is high risk, it may well be the Garage you are storing it in? There's been an increase in garage theft these days you know.... :lol:

On a serious note, insurance has become a complete joke just like petrol prices, sooner or later we will all be getting the bus for journeys we make.... oh what a sad day that would be....

Its always best to tell insurance companies about any mods as they tend to look for any excuse not to pay out. Half the time they use the "mods" as an excuse to load up your premium, even if they are not performance related mods.

But, where do you actually draw the line. If I need a new exhaust and went to some high street garage, the chances are they wouldnt fit a genuine nissan exhaust, they could fit one of a dozen different brands. How am I supposed to know what they have fitted and whether it improves or reduces performance? Same as air filters. What about tyres? If i fit stickier tyres should I tell the insurance company as they are non-standard and might mean im going to be cornering faster?!

Then on the flip side, if I have spent loads of money modifying my car does that mean im an enthusiast and therefore will drive more carefully and take better can of my car than a non-enthusiast and therefore should get reduced insurance premiums?

In the event of a write off, in my experience, the insurance company do send people out, even for sub 1000quid old bangers.

It may not be the car which is high risk, it may well be the Garage you are storing it in? There's been an increase in garage theft these days you know.... :lol:

On a serious note, insurance has become a complete joke just like petrol prices, sooner or later we will all be getting the bus for journeys we make.... oh what a sad day that would be....

And don't even start me on the fraudulent climate science!

Carbon Trading rolls in the cash for the Rothschild private bank. I can't believe I'm living on a planet that taxes you for Carbon, a natural, beneficial gas.

I still remember the drawings from my O level Biology of how CO2 benefits the planet.

Now Science has been hijacked by the banks and corporations that control all 3 parties of the British government.

Carbon Dioxide forms a mere 5% of total greenhouse gases and only 0.1% is actually generated by Man.

We're being scammed.

Two enemies have been created. Climate change and Terrorists. And we, the public, are both of those.

Just to avoid the worst case scenario I would declare them. Otherwise you never know what may happen, worst case you hit and injure someone and the insurance company declares the policy void and you are then totally screwed.

On the up side I had exactly the same decision. I recently had an up rev at abbey, with the panel filter and plenum. Direct line wouldn't cover me and had to cancel the policy because they don't support mods. As a result no cancellation fee. I then moved to sky insurance who were great, covered all mods and for a lower premium than with direct line :thumbs:

I'm happy I've got everything covered and I've saved some cash :#1:

What about tyres? If i fit stickier tyres should I tell the insurance company as they are non-standard and might mean im going to be cornering faster?!

I would, and I did. Made no difference whatsoever, but I slept a fraction easier at night.