How Much Wax?

Peter10

Silly question I know but I am about to buy a better wax (Dodo Purple Haze or Autoglym High Definition not sure which yet. Thoughts?:headhurt:).

In the past I have always used basic Turtle Wax but I wondered if these "super" waxes are worth the hype so I'll have to try a pot and see... The problem is, splashing out on a £35 pot of wax could be costly if I'm not using properly. With the old car a half decent shine was enough but I want to show off the Zed, but how much wax should I be applying? It's probably hard to describe in words, but if you consider a panel the size of the drivers door, what amount is needed? I have a feeling I over-use the crappy wax but it all buffs out well...

Trying to save some money if I am simply wasting a lot of the product. Also, I have been told a few times that two light coats of wax is better than one thicker one, if so, how long should I wait between coats? Can anyone recommend a pre-wax product? Currently I polish with Autoglym Super Res Polish then wax right away.

Thanks all!

AutoGlym High Def is overpriced IMO.

As for the amount, best get an applicator pad, those round foam pad things, and start off with a basic wax like Meguiars Tech Wax and move up from there.

Only need to apply a thin layer, less is more. No point in applying it too thick, because it will mean you'll have to buff more off and it's wastage.

So basic start you'll need

- applicator pads

- wax

- microfibre cloths

later on you could add quick detailer to make buffing easier, especially if you move up to hard waxes that come in a tin :~)

Hope this helps

Thanks for the quick reply, didn't expect much this time of night!

I was looking at a Dodo Juice basic kit that included a few applicators, microfibre applicator, Lime Prime and the Purple Haze wax, but I'll have to check out the Meguiars Tech Wax too. I have a relative who sells Dodo Juice and Autoglym at their company so I get it all below net price B). Dodo Juice has to be ordered in but Autoglym sits on the shelf (rows and rows of it all). Not sure if they sell Meguiars but I can check.

Thanks for the advice on the waxing though, I had a feeling I was using too much but as I had no one to tell me I just carried on doing what I always did.

dodo is good,

if you want it to shine its all about the polish ;) wax is just a protective layer, give it a good polish first then a protective layer of wax to maintain the shine from the polish.

lots of other stages you can add to this but thats enough to get you started.

wax goes along way; also dodo do tester panel pots for about 10 quid so you can try before buying a massive pot and finding you don't like it. i can get about 7 cars out of a panel pot. dodo i found is really easy to work with goes on and comes off pretty easy.

I started with a DODO purple haze panel pot, its about £12, and will wax your car about 5-6 times, so if you like the results you can invest in the bigger pot around £30-£40.

I apply this wax by fingers (only dodo), just massage it into your paintwork until it wont spread no more, thats usually my method...

Thanks for the quick reply, didn't expect much this time of night!

I was looking at a Dodo Juice basic kit that included a few applicators, microfibre applicator, Lime Prime and the Purple Haze wax, but I'll have to check out the Meguiars Tech Wax too. I have a relative who sells Dodo Juice and Autoglym at their company so I get it all below net price B). Dodo Juice has to be ordered in but Autoglym sits on the shelf (rows and rows of it all). Not sure if they sell Meguiars but I can check.

Thanks for the advice on the waxing though, I had a feeling I was using too much but as I had no one to tell me I just carried on doing what I always did.

I use Meguirs tech wax and think it's awesome. Very easy to apply, buff and lasts very well. Sure the most expensive ones like Dodo Supernatural are beaters if you've got masses of money, a pro polishing machine, tons of time and a car that gets entered intop shows but for me Meguirs is plenty enough. Did a pro wax once and could tell the difference (though I'm sure the pro's could).

The biggest difference come from the prep and other work like claying before and sealing after (Red Mist :thumbs: ).

I'd spend my time there if I was you.

P.S I really want the sun to come and and some warmth so I can give her the first detailing of the year. :blackeye:

I have purple haze which is a great wax but i would highly recommend you get a panel pot of dodo supernatural, that stuff is brilliant B)

use as little wax as poss and dont allow it to dry too much on the panel, use can swipe test it with your finger to test if it is dry, it should swipe off cleanly and not smear

It helps (especially if its cold) to either spray some quick detailer into the pot or on to your pad, this will make the wax easier to spread more evenly

If you decide to layer the wax then give each layer 24hrs to cure, otherwise you are just removing the initial layer

as a polish i would recommend poorboys black hole or Poorboys Polish With Carnauba - Blue, both are easy on/ easy off polishes and give a brilliant wet look shine, they contain fillers so they help with swirls or small scratches, give either a go, you be disappointed

:thumbs:

As Rich said,like most jobs, it's prep,prep,prep.

I always use a damp applicator,but then I use Collinite Elagance De Concourse,and this helps spreads it thinner.

The wax will only be micons thick when you have done.

I use 'Dodo juice' for everything else,but I like the Colilinite wax. :shrug:

As the others have said - prep is far more important. You will get a far better finish machine polishing the paint and using no wax or crap wax than you will with poor prep and concours wax.

Get a Dodo panel pot and feel the difference. Its not about what you can see really, the wax is so thin you arent meant to see it. Its about the protection it offers. Sure DD SN is expensive but my last pot lasted me over 3yrs! Thats doing 2 cars regularly. No wax Megs or any other Halfrauds crap lasts that long. It also allows you to go upto 6 months without reapplying.

Get the Dodo, do the prep properly, and you will be more than happy B)

right to clear up a few myths

1. poorboys black hole is not a polish; its a glaze; it will need a polish before you use it and a wax after to seal it.

2. dodo products are not high end products but midrange; their most expensive wax is about 70 quid. if you want expensive try something like some of the swisswax pots which start at about 100-150 a pot.

3. according to the boys at meguairs (i was at their detailing seminar) you cant layer wax. at most a second coat will get the bits you missed.

4. a wax will only shine as good as the prep work you put into it.

there are lots of threads on detailing, there was a detailing competition that had lots of people put pic heavy posts up of how they detailed their car. plus lots of other posts on how to detail. if it helps this is my routine

-snow foam car

-rinse

-wash car (megs gold class shampoo)

-rinse

-dry car with waffle weave cloth

-clay bar car with dodo born slippy and megs detailing clay (i only do this every 6 months)

-clean paint with dodo lime and prime lite or megs paint cleaner

-polish car with megs polish (part of the 3 stage clean kit)

-glaze car with poorboys black hole glaze (i do this probably 1 to 2 times every 6 months)(it fills in and hides swirls)

-wax car with dodo purple haze pro wax (it has red mist in it)

-seal car with dodo red mist

-dress tyres with megs tyre gel

-clean windows with PIAA glass cleaner, then add PIAA glass protect (also have PIAA wipers and wash fluid)

go in and have beer

some of these steps i miss out depending on weather/time/what was last done etc if i'm in a hurry i just wash and wax. but only because alot of the prep work has already been done so its just like topping it up and renewing the wax layer.

this is not the bible version for doing it, everyone has their own favourite products and methods for doing it, and even order of doing things. start of with a few products and build up your process. i didn't start with this i've built up to that over 5 years and just started by washing the car once a month to doing all that.

I pretty much do the same thing as Rich - only I polish first then cleanse. No idea which way round is best, difference in results will be marginal at most - but its a good starting point. I find polish then cleanse gives me a glassier feeling paintwork, but that may be the cleanse leaving something behind that is glossy? No idea.

Also worth noting, use the 2 bucket method for washing the car. No point doing all the prep to then bring the swirls back quicker.

Remember with wax, any you can see is wasted as you will wipe it off. But you want to make sure all the paint is covered. So nice thin layer via applicator is the way to go. Not sure I agree with Megs, I have seen sample shots of where people have layered too much wax and it made the paint more yellow. Was on DW forums. Maybe if you try to layer with super thin layers you cant as the new layer will take off the old wax? I tend only to use one layer of DD SN these days and top up with DD Red Mist after each wash.

The general consensus is "If you use the right products, you can successfully layer waxes and sealants to make your paint look deeper and almost liquid"

just google layer wax, iirc someone has used a measurement (micrometer type) for layering wax

anyhoo i think this is all a bit ot for the op, 2 buckets with grit guards is a good start :thumbs:

Gonna need two clear days to sort mine of winter grime (poet as well B) ), just a note on the two bucket thing, I read on here somewher and it's a good tip, just use your hose to rinse out the washmitt before re-dipping in the bucket :thumbs:

I still use two buckets, but full of soapy stuff, give it a double wash B)

The first wax i used was Megs No16. Its a brilliant entry level wax,and last for ages,and its cheap too,especially taking into account how big the pot is. Id use it with some foam applicator pads,rather than a MF cloth. It will train you to put on and buff off properly,as being white,you will see the next day where you have missed.

I think SRP is a great product,and should be used after a clay,then wax on top.

lol,we have a special purple polish,that is very good,and comes in small bottles,but no label,so no idea what it is. They also use Stardust aerosol and wipe it all over to clean it al up etc. Makes me cringe when i see all the swirls etc. Maybe i should get a job making the cars shiny! Must add 0.1 second to a lap. lol

lol,we have a special purple polish,that is very good,and comes in small bottles,but no label,so no idea what it is. They also use Stardust aerosol and wipe it all over to clean it al up etc. Makes me cringe when i see all the swirls etc. Maybe i should get a job making the cars shiny! Must add 0.1 second to a lap. lol

You need to teach them the 2BM of washing :lol: And hope they use microfiber cloths too! Maybe if you detail it, the reduction in swirls will reduce drag as the surface is smoother? :teeth:

Rich mentioned the Swissvax waxes earlier, and having gone from Megs liquid wax to Dodo Juice to Swissvax Zuffenhousen, I can honestly say it's really worth the extra dosh. One coat is all my car has seen so far, and a quick wash + Red Mist has it looking stunning again. B)

Really impressive stuff, if you're into your car cleaning then I'd say it's well worth investing in a pot. After all, it's only the price of a tank and a half of fuel these days.