I'm a noise nuisance! HELP!

HaydnH

No I haven't fitted a K1! I'm wondering if anyone has got any experience with noise complaints as it's making my life uncomfortable to say the least.

I've had a few visits from my neighbours complaining about the noise in the past, mainly from the lady upstairs with the laminate floor which I can hear every foot step on! When she's complained I've sometimes had a friend or 2 around and they all seem shocked when it happens as they don't feel the music is anywhere near loud, we've been talking quietly over the top of it for a start. She's even asked me to turn it down before and when I've hit the volume down button the music's switched off! When this lady's complained she's always been polite and we've talked about it - she's even said voices are better than music so I try to listen to the TV instead of music if I'm working from home on a night shift.

However, recently the neighbour downstairs has started complaining - she's complained twice. The first of these was Saturday 4thd of December: I'd worked a late shift and then gone for a few beers as it was my birthday on the 5th, got home about 3am, pressed play, passed out on the sofa before it began and then her boyfriend knocked complaining - fair enough this was my fault... I apologised, explained it was my birthday and went to bed. The second time was Sunday 9th January: I went to sleep at 21:30 as I was up at 5am for an early shift to be woken up at 23:10 asking for me to turn the music down, I would have thought that answering the door in my boxer shorts, with no music in the background an explaining I was asleep might warrant an apology - she threatened to call the police!

There may be a third time the lady downstairs complained: I received a scribbled note through my letter box in May 2010 saying that I was inconsiderate for playing my music so loud... this was while I was on holiday in Santorini!! My music must've been extremely loud to hear it all the way from a Greek island!

Now I can't even watch TV at 3 in the afternoon on a weekday without holding the remote in my hand and muting it at the first sign of any volume (shouting/gun shots/adverts) etc in fear of annoying my neighbours!

What's made it worse, and hence this post, is that I've just checked my post to find a formal letter from the council advising me that they've received a complaint about alleged noise nuisance with regards to playing loud music!

As a bit of background info, we live in fairly nice purpose built flats in a nice suburb of London, they were built in 2000 so should have good insulation with concrete walls and floors - my flat did have a laminate floor when I moved in but I changed it to solid wood stuck to the floor for added sound proofing and quality. You can see it here - I'm the middle flat of the 3. I'm beginning to think that either my neighbours are crazy or there's some sort of problem with the building. To be honest, if they're that sensitive to noise I don't know why they live on a road that's a main bus route and 200m away from the main line rail to Waterloo - which they always seem to be doing noisy late night maintenance on!

I'd love to move out but I own the property so it's not as easy as if I rented, I'm also half tempted to raise a harassment charge against the woman downstairs, although that would count as a formal dispute that would have to be disclosed when I sold the property affecting my house price. Even if I rented this place out and went somewhere else I'd have to deal with it as a landlord. So now I have no idea what to do! I'm obviously going to reply to council explaining my point of view and welcoming any sound level meter tests etc they wish to perform - guess I'll do that in a letter/e-mail so that it's on record rather than a phone call. Any ideas?!?

Haydn.

have you told her the time she complained you were on holiday and that maybe the noise is from somewhere lese?

No - because I'm not sure who put the note through the door. However, I did say that when she woke me up in January - it obviously didn't help. :(

seems your in a bit of a predicament. Best option first would be to speak to the council i would have thought. The letter telling you they had received a complaint should have a contact number, if you can get them to send someone over to act intermediary or to check sound levels with a decibel reader then that would be a start and at least show your neighbours your not just ignoring them

So twice when she complained there was no music at all let alone loud? Is it coming from a different flat or does she just hear "things"?

I don't know to be honest - but considering I do have noise problems with the flat above me (I can hear her walking around due to the laminate etc, but it's only ever her that complains from that side, i.e: I put up with it) I'm concerned that if I'm investigated I'll get the blame anyway!

Get to Maplins, buy an SPL meter. Read up on regs and write back to the council pointing out all of the above and say you will be more than happy for them to come out and test the property. Ask them what allowable levels are so you have it in writing from them. Then go test, play some music, xbox and TV. Record the SPL from in the flat and then take a wander outside and see how loud it is.

TBH I wouldnt worry about it, but I'd probably get or borrow an SPL meter to cover yourself. Worst that will happen is council will send someone around with an SPL in which case you'd get to the bottom of it anyway.

Nearly all new build flats and aparments have a clause in them stating no laminate or wooden floors as this is the most common noise nuisance and to be honest laminate went out in the early nineties if I were you I know you probably love you wood flooring but I would replace it with carpet and good quility underlay the downstairs neighbour problem should be solved as like she also will not hear you walking around like your doing so with upstairs.

Then go to the upstairs tell the neighbour that you can hear every step and chair being dragged on the flooring and there telly droning due to the flooring there using.

Wait until you hear the bog flush then run to their flat hammering on the door screaming 'can't you keep the noise down! I can hear you turding in a most undignified manner' ......that should spice things up.

Alternatively use a sensible suggestion from above.

Nearly all new build flats and aparments have a clause in them stating no laminate or wooden floors as this is the most common noise nuisance and to be honest laminate went out in the early nineties if I were you I know you probably love you wood flooring but I would replace it with carpet and good quility underlay the downstairs neighbour problem should be solved as like she also will not hear you walking around like your doing so with upstairs.

Then go to the upstairs tell the neighbour that you can hear every step and chair being dragged on the flooring and there telly droning due to the flooring there using.

Ours were built with wood floors I believe - having said that solid hard wood floors are much quieter than laminates and I always walk around bare feet when I'm at home and walk very softly. I'm more concerned about being blamed for noise I'm not even making (i.e: when I'm asleep or on holiday!).

I wish I hadn;t checked my post last night, had to be up at 6:30 this morning for work and couldn't sleep worrying about it. :yawn:

From memory you will first receive notification from the council advising they have had a formal complaint. This has been done.

The next step before they can take formal action is for the council to do an onsite recording of the noise levels when they are alleged to be too high. I wouldnt worry too much. :)

An SPL meter is great idea as often its all about perspective- couple next door to me often have wee partys at weekends I dont think they are loud at all but better half thinks they are being really inconsiderate.

Actually I bought a sound meter ages ago... then realised I couldn't find any guidelines relating to what dBA/dBC is acceptable at what times - apparently even quiet noise can still be a "nuisance" - I have been upstairs when my music has been "loud" though and I couldn't actually hear anything! (Well maybe the tiniest faint warble of something which was barely audible over the noise of SW London).

Give her the meter, go back upstairs pull ur kegs down, sit on the wooden floor and give her ur best fart. If its loud by her standards make it a regular occurrence. If ur floors are thin enough hopefully shel smell it as well

mate dont worry about it at all !!

I have to attend noise problems between neighbours and like people have already said they will give you a notice of complaint which you have recieved.... This does not state you are indeed making any noise just they have recieved a complaint.. Next step wi8ll come if there is still more complaints after they have given you this notice, They will place a recording device in the complaintents house to get the evidence they need to serve you a notice !!!

As your stating you are not making any noise at all just keep on going with your normal routine and if anything relax it a bit have the tv on normal stop living your life adjusting your noise level..

Dont worry at all

Just keep being nice to this neighbour as this winds them up more.....

U have nothing to worry about.

If you dont want the neighbours approaching you just go to your local nick explain the situation and state that you want them being spoken to and a first case harrasment warning which is just a log created stating they have had the harrasment explained to the offender and its all informal until you complain again which they will be dealt with accordingly... If you dont want them approaching you again this is the route.