broadband speed help

350 Russ

i am currently getting 0.77 Mbps second when i pay for up to 20Mbps, i know it is up to 20mb and not to really expect that but surely not getting 1 is a little bit of a p*ss take.

is there any way of speeding it up? it off of a sky wireless router if that helps.

its driving me nuts. if i want to stream a live football game or anything like that i may aswell forget it. youtube videos take and eternity aswell. :bang:

apparently my line can handle 3.5mbps, i spoke to sky and apparently my micro-filter is faulty and there was errors on my line. so have a new micro-filter in the post and hopefully it will go up.

if your line can only handle 3.5Mbs then it's a waste of money paying for itnernet up to 20Mbs

apparently my line can handle 3.5mbps, i spoke to sky and apparently my micro-filter is faulty and there was errors on my line. so have a new micro-filter in the post and hopefully it will go up.

if your line can only handle 3.5Mbs then it's a waste of money paying for itnernet up to 20Mbs

its the package that sky gave me and its the cheapest one they do. virgin doesnt cover my area so thats about it for me i think

It's worth unplugging everything except the router to see if something else is causing the slow speed.

Also worth doing a power on/off with only the router connected. These days they learn what quality of service and line speed you've got. If you've had something dragging the speed down then you'll be given a rubbish qos and get a crap line speed.

I think speedtester.bt.com tells you your qos. It takes about 24hrs for the router to adapt, might be worth a go.

One thing worth checking is the number of devices you have plugged in to your phone outlet connection. If you have more than 3 then you can expect a huge slowdown, I had to unplug one of my Sky Boxes as I was stuck at 0.5 megs, once removed it went to 2.5 megs.

Pete

we're quite lucky as we have the fibre optics up here. Getting upgrade soon which will put us upto 30mbps from 20mbps for free :yahoo:

Still a little shy of the 50 mbps i should be getting :shrug: But like they say up to 50mb broadband.

1156049330.png

we're quite lucky as we have the fibre optics up here. Getting upgrade soon which will put us upto 30mbps from 20mbps for free :yahoo:

Still a little shy of the 50 mbps i should be getting :shrug: But like they say up to 50mb broadband.

1156049330.png

Hows the reliablity now? We did have it and got it taken out about a year and a bit ago. Was very unstable and a total nightmare sometimes.

Looking at getting 100mbps in soon. My missus works for virgin media so we get our stuff for next to nothing in comparison to others. All in all i find virgin broadband very good value for money and find the connection up here very stable on 20mbps

Mines a bit slow today :lol:

1159764722.png

On a serious note, tell Sky to reset your profile. It takes a while as the others have said for the speeds to go back up after a problem. Also reboot the router every couple of days for a week. Dont do it too often or it will think there is another problem and throttle you back again.

Also, I found getting an ADSL Nation replacement face plate got me up from 2.5Mbs to 4Mbs connection :thumbs:

Also, I found getting an ADSL Nation replacement face plate got me up from 2.5Mbs to 4Mbs connectio

Do they go on the primary socket or the secondary? That is if the router is plugged into a secondary socket ?

I used to know all this stuff 10 years ago. :blush::blush: