Fiat 500 are they good or just bum fluff on wheels

stanski

Lucy is considering changing to a 500 - the 1.4 Lounge or maybe the new 'twin-air 2cyl' version?

I know a few on here owned them (zedrush?) so just wanted any advice or experience long term?

Are they still holding firm with Fiats traditional core values, duff build, cheap plastics, unreliable electrics etc etc 'rust'!

Had a peep on the fiat owners forum and there is mention of suspension issues on some models but otherwise think they are more concerned about how much petrol they can save when driving them? :wacko:

Panda owners seem to be quite content and its based on the same car so does that mean its actually good?

The Abarth version is also a consideration but looking at prices think they will be as costly as running a Zed? :doh:

Any info gratefully received

Muchos thanks :thumbs:

Not my bag, but as you say, it is for the wife.

Don't laugh but can't you persuade her to get a Panda 100HP? A good drive apparently and at least you won't be too embarassed to drive it :surrender:

Dont think she likes the look of the Panda ? As long as she does'nt buy a pink one I am not fussed! We both like old cars although I did offer to buy her an original 500 - she didnt seem too keen? :lol:

I had a Figaro once so anything else is butch by comparison! Just wait till I get my 100a back on the road :D

The 500 is nice Stan. Not much room in them though.

Jayne originally went to buy one but felt it was just a bit small so went for the Punto instead.

I sorted my boss out with a 500 when she arrived here. It's baby blue! I picked it up for her etc and it's good to drive and a nice place to sit. Nice and quirky inside. You'd probably like it! :D

Abarth is AWESOME!

The 500 is nice Stan. Not much room in them though.

Jayne originally went to buy one but felt it was just a bit small so went for the Punto instead.

I sorted my boss out with a 500 when she arrived here. It's baby blue! I picked it up for her etc and it's good to drive and a nice place to sit. Nice and quirky inside. You'd probably like it! :D

Abarth is AWESOME!

Thanks Stew that blue is the colour she likes - you know we like the retro look.. :blush: I remember sitting in one when they came out and my head touched the headling in the back and I am not tall! :surrender: She has sat in one and pram and Ania fit quite nicely so lets see?

Just more worried about build qulity and known issues? What are they like to live with?

Don't know much about them, but I can tell you that BSM have just cancelled their contract for 14,000 cars after only 3,700 deliveries were made. They're switching back to the Vauxhall Corsa which they used for many years. Expect a flood of Fiat 500's to hit the dealers soon!

Pete

Don't know much about them, but I can tell you that BSM have just cancelled their contract for 14,000 cars after only 3,700 deliveries were made. They're switching back to the Vauxhall Corsa which they used for many years. Expect a flood of Fiat 500's to hit the dealers soon!

Pete

Interesting? Wonder why? Has Vauxhall offered them a very sweet deal? Mayhbe they cant supply in time or the service is P*** poor?

Lexx I will try to find that thread yeah seem to remember Zedrush buying then selling shortly after?

Had a read hmm not really what I am after - just want a long term review - if your embarressed folks just PM me instead :wacko:

I have a beetle, camper,datsun cherry, mx5 - do I care what people think of me nope - lifes too short - just enjoy it! :teeth:

One of my daughters and I went to look at them when she first passed her nursing training, the dealer, Arnold Clark in Springburn Glasgow, or rather the salesman was a knob, wouldn't even give her a trade in price on her 3 yr old Aygo (great car and not much smaller than the Fiat, probably too small for your needs though), anyways she disregarded it after the dealer experience being sh1te and plumped for a Mini Cooper S instead.

This is a different class, build, power, gizmos, you name it. I felt there was too much metal exposed in the Fiat and it is very cramped. I realise that there is a price difference here, but you can pick up a nearly new Mini One with the TLC pack (4 years free servicing) and they're relatively bullet proof, stylish and the ladies do like them.

One of my daughters and I went to look at them when she first passed her nursing training, the dealer, Arnold Clark in Springburn Glasgow, or rather the salesman was a knob, wouldn't even give her a trade in price on her 3 yr old Aygo (great car and not much smaller than the Fiat, probably too small for your needs though), anyways she disregarded it after the dealer experience being sh1te and plumped for a Mini Cooper S instead.

This is a different class, build, power, gizmos, you name it. I felt there was too much metal exposed in the Fiat and it is very cramped. I realise that there is a price difference here, but you can pick up a nearly new Mini One with the TLC pack (4 years free servicing) and they're relatively bullet proof, stylish and the ladies do like them.

Lucy had a Cooper S (I think it was an S...) previously!

Yes she had a proper Works cooper S - with cooper number plate and all the toys but had a lot of issues with them, the dealers, parts are extortionate and got rid in the end because of it.

We like the exposed metal (is it metal or plastic?) like mentioned before we like the old school retro style its just such a breath of fresh air from the dark grey plastic lined biscuit tins today?

Funny about Fiat Dealers being crap - she went to the stealers up the road and basically the sales guy just ignored her !

Maybe in the sales world by the time you hit a Fiat job you have reached the bottom of the sales ladder and just dont care (probably the same at Aston and Jag stealers though) so which ones are good ?? Chrysler were ironically to me when I had the 300C but we are getting off topic - long term living with it so far is what I want to know - how many times you had to take it back and fix the bits that fell off? :)

Just coming up to 3 years ownership now.

Issues:

- Media player can be a bit unpredictable at times, works with a USB stick and sometimes decides it can't read it.

- Part of the front window washer system split (one of the joints I think). Was replaced under warranty.

- Engine uses a bit of oil. Nothing dramatic but just something to keep an eye on.

- Sometimes get the 'hill hold assist' warning light come on. This only ever happens when I'm driving and I suspect it has something to do with my size 12s not being able to press the clutch pedal fully downwards!

To be honest, nothing too major. Think it's done about 20k miles and for a little runabout/town car it really fits the bill.

That's not to say I'm trying to plant the idea of getting an Abarth next though!

2cyl twinair is supposed to be the original reborn. Short gear thrash machine, so maybe not for the motorway but free tax and 60mpg allegedly. I would consider one if I was just razzing round town.

As a two Fiat family now, I can't say I've had any real trouble yet, Punto is still a newcommer and due its 72K service soon, and El Pandro has had a leaking damper replaced last year at service.

B S M chose to cancel their order after the test examiners complained they could not get in the back when checking the cars over before taking a pupil out for their test

Max.

Hahaha :lol: thats funny they should lose some weight then the fat bartenders!! :lol::lol:

Thanks for the info wookie :thumbs: Andreas I know you love your Panda ... :DB)

We shall see what transpires..... of course this means I would have to sell the MX5 :shrug:

so what is the 500 like to drive? i'm wanting something fun, but not painfully slow which i'm worried it might be

needs to be bearable on motorways aswell

if it is, might have to look at the abarth, but really wanted to stay away from running costs of that sort of car - also prefer the look of the non-abarths. maybe my girl racer days are over !! :wacko:

Hi Stan,

you thought about the Punto Abarth-07-10?

I had a Punto Abarth for 2 years just traded it in for a z! i know it a bit bigger than the 500 Abarth but it doesnt drink petrol like you except it would you got your sport button to open up full boost (mine was on most of the time :evil: ) but i managed a steady 24-28mpg,

i personally think it drives better than the 500 and holds the road better and looks better especially in Black!!!!

im not sure on the new evo versions tho.. hope this helps.. they cost about the same too and nothing went wrong with it at all brilliant car

abarth.jpg

I owned a 500 Abarth, it was a cracking little car, I loved it! Great build quality, no problems to report, immense sound system and if you drove sensibly (not in sport mode) it was very economical. Obviously if you gave it some beans it would use the fuel but it did sound fantastic for an out of the box car, really nice exhaust note.