Question for those who have been remapped.

SteveW

Hi Folks,

I will soon have got all my remap supporting mods sorted that I am doing and I am now thinking about a remap.

The thought of a remap is also becoming more attractive with the very quickly rising price of fuel.

Whilst I mainly want the remap for the gains in torque I am also interested what mpg improvement folks who have had the remap done have noticed for general everyday driving?

Helps justify the outlay of a remap ;)

Cheers

Steve

Don't really know what mpg gains I achieved from having the remap. I have probably lost MPG as its much more responsive and I love giving it some beans!! :teeth:

Your justification for the remap should be you have bought all the mods and they are pointless without the remap. :lol:

Don't really know what mpg gains I achieved from having the remap. I have probably lost MPG as its much more responsive and I love giving it some beans!! :teeth:

Your justification for the remap should be you have bought all the mods and they are pointless without the remap. :lol:

+1

I also lost some mpg due to excess bean-age caused by the massively improved response in the first few gears especially :lol: It probably doesn't help that now I have decats on I can't get enough of the noise either :teeth::teeth:

Imo a remap is 100% worth it even with no mpg gains :thumbs:

+2

I lost mpg although I've put a number of mods on to increase power.so the remap really should be focused around power improvements. If you can have multiple maps vehicle year dependent, then you can look to have a conservative map for saving on mpg.

Alternative to that purchase yourself a diesel car then your mpg will be far improved. The Zed wasn't built for economy!

Remap experience -

1st remap was initially just to get rid of the limiter from my JDM import roadster - but also gained major improvement through the low gears as Abbey also removed the 55% max in 1st, 65% max in 2nd and 75% max in 3rd - overtaking suddenly became much safer as well as much quicker. It's not speed that kills, it's being in the overtaking lane too long. . . . .I'm not bothered about the speed off the line at traffic lights, but her response was much better.

Since then I've been back to Abbey Motorsport and they've improved the performance another step - changing the exhaust with a new Y pipe and then capitalising on the improved flow to add about 20 bhp and also quite a bit more torque. My girl now feels a whole lot more alert (Abbey describe it as " . . . more perky!"

To be honest she now feels like she was meant to be, but they penny-pinched on the clumsy exhaust and the savings compromised the performance. The extra power and torque now mean . . .well, let me describe it. You're stuck behind a Merc on the motorway, doing, well, maybe 85, (In theory, of course, I'd never actually break the speed limit) but the guy just won't move - then he finally shifts into the middle lane and you say "OK, let's go, girl" and with just a minor stroke of the throttle. . . .you end up getting to almost 100 by the time you get to his rear bumper, and then you're by. And, you can tell, she's just lapping it up, it's just so easy. This is how the engine was supposed to feel -

To answer you question - one dull trip in heavy traffic where I didn't get over 70 from London to Worcester and I got 28.4 mpg. Normally she's around 24, subject to how heavy the right foot is - since the latest re-map it's probably gone down as she's just so willing and really just wants to go, it seems cruel to hold her back. The day I think more of my mpg than the love of life in a Z is either the day they nail the lid on the box or the day my kids induct me into my old peoples home. I'll worry about mpg in my company Toyota - until then it's just whether it's nice enough to take the top off.

Remap experience -

1st remap was initially just to get rid of the limiter from my JDM import roadster - but also gained major improvement through the low gears as Abbey also removed the 55% max in 1st, 65% max in 2nd and 75% max in 3rd - overtaking suddenly became much safer as well as much quicker. It's not speed that kills, it's being in the overtaking lane too long. . . . .I'm not bothered about the speed off the line at traffic lights, but her response was much better.

Since then I've been back to Abbey Motorsport and they've improved the performance another step - changing the exhaust with a new Y pipe and then capitalising on the improved flow to add about 20 bhp and also quite a bit more torque. My girl now feels a whole lot more alert (Abbey describe it as " . . . more perky!"

To be honest she now feels like she was meant to be, but they penny-pinched on the clumsy exhaust and the savings compromised the performance. The extra power and torque now mean . . .well, let me describe it. You're stuck behind a Merc on the motorway, doing, well, maybe 85, (In theory, of course, I'd never actually break the speed limit) but the guy just won't move - then he finally shifts into the middle lane and you say "OK, let's go, girl" and with just a minor stroke of the throttle. . . .you end up getting to almost 100 by the time you get to his rear bumper, and then you're by. And, you can tell, she's just lapping it up, it's just so easy. This is how the engine was supposed to feel -

To answer you question - one dull trip in heavy traffic where I didn't get over 70 from London to Worcester and I got 28.4 mpg. Normally she's around 24, subject to how heavy the right foot is - since the latest re-map it's probably gone down as she's just so willing and really just wants to go, it seems cruel to hold her back. The day I think more of my mpg than the love of life in a Z is either the day they nail the lid on the box or the day my kids induct me into my old peoples home. I'll worry about mpg in my company Toyota - until then it's just whether it's nice enough to take the top off.

Ian you should post more :clap:

btw I got over 30mpg for 2 reasons -

1. the weather was awful, very very wet

2. i currently have no ABS and no traction control :drive1

;)

Thanks for all the responses guys, really appreciate it.

I'm really looking forward to having the cash available for this it sounds excellent. I didn't know we were limited to

55% in 1st

65% in 2nd

75% in 3rd

That in itself is a reason to get rid of it lol.

I can feel i'll be making a trip the RS tuning hopefully in the near future mr credit card might have to come out because I'm trying to save a house deposit at the moment and finding it hard! Keep spending too much every month on the 350!

Cheers

I'm really looking forward to having the cash available for this it sounds excellent. I didn't know we were limited to

55% in 1st

65% in 2nd

75% in 3rd

I can feel i'll be making a trip the RS tuning hopefully in the near future mr credit card might have to come out because I'm trying to save a house deposit at the moment and finding it hard! Keep spending too much every month on the 350!

Cheers

When you have a re-map I suggest one thing (especially if it's likely to snow again or next winter) which is to ask for a conservative map, that's if you are able to use multi-maps (car year depending). I'll be asking Abbey for a conservative map next time I visit.

For those who have Throttle Controllers, imagine trying to drive in the snow on SP7!! My current map of course is giving me max power, stupid me didn't think about this during the snow and it's become a nightmare to drive anywhere. So a multi map is one heck of a solution if you are able to run multi-maps.

Will - get a remap.... you know you want to.... ;)

Just think of putting your foot down on a motorway (sorry Autobhan) open her up to 100mph then floor it till it hits speeds in excess of 155mph. I managed 162mph (on the Autobhan) after chickening out due to the bumpy road surface.

55% in 1st

65% in 2nd

75% in 3rd

Cheers

When you have a re-map I suggest one thing (especially if it's likely to snow again or next winter) which is to ask for a conservative map, that's if you are able to use multi-maps (car year depending). I'll be asking Abbey for a conservative map next time I visit.

For those who have Throttle Controllers, imagine trying to drive in the snow on SP7!! My current map of course is giving me max power, stupid me didn't think about this during the snow and it's become a nightmare to drive anywhere. So a multi map is one heck of a solution if you are able to run multi-maps.

Will - get a remap.... you know you want to.... ;)

Just think of putting your foot down on a motorway (sorry Autobhan) open her up to 100mph then floor it till it hits speeds in excess of 155mph. I managed 162mph (on the Autobhan) after chickening out due to the bumpy road surface.

What bumpy surface? chicken :p

With carfeul tuning especially around part throttle we normally see a gain in MPG , but most peopl eenjoy the better response so are a little heavy right footed for a while but I have always had people say the cars are a littl ebetter on MPG after tuning.

We could tune your car for Unleaded thou , I think with some bolt on mods we can get a little over the stock BHP/Torque figure using the cheaper unleaded fuel.

The cost for the remap will be alittle higher than the normal remap but it can be done and if you have a later spec UK car Uprev model onwards or an import you could have multi fuel maps. But the map selection is on your back as chossing the wrong map may cause engine damage ( running a super unleaded map with unleaded fuel will cause detonation when outside the knock control window of the stock ECU)

any questions fire away.

Mark

Get it done got to be done in my eyes. I'm doing a long drive on Saturday from Bournemouth to Dover so will fill up and reset my MPG and let you know will do an average of 60mph on different roads I expect.

Then when I enter Europe into Germany will do an average off 140mph so can report on that as well for those that are interested.

Hi Mark,

I was just wondering what happens if the ECU gets reset after being remapped.

Does it keep the updated map data or default to original programming or something totally different?

Thank you

Steve

Hi All

I'm waiting for the answer, I would like to know as well. Its a subject I am a layman with and I keep thinking about a remap or uprev but never feel I can get the right answers, a bit like Harry Hill only one way to find out FIIIIIIIIIIIGHT.

Jeff