Remodelled my bumper

chriswatson99

Ice + Zed = Sadness :thumbdown:

Ice + Zed = Brown Pants

Up until my journey home on the A420 tonight I was thinking what's all the fuss about the Zed in the current weather. I have now decided that snow is your friend and ice is the spawn of satan. Going past Faringdon my tail was all over the place, and still the twonk in the clio almost driving in my rear hatch didn't have the sense to hang back.

Well Geoff it seems the bodyshops up with us seem to charge more than you'd think.

Here's the breakdown of what they gave me

Remove and Refit

R/F Side Indicator Lamp R/Wing Shell

Front Bumper Front No-Plate

Front Bumper Moulding L/Bumper Reflector

R/Bumper Reflector Right Front Wing Badge

Repair

R/F Wing

Front Bumper

Paint

Paint preparation

De Nib Per Panel 3Wu

R/F Wing Repair Painting <50%

Front Bumper Repair Paint Plastic

New Parts List

R/F Out Bumper Brkt 14.86

R/Wing Badge 18.11

Int Protection Kit 3.50

Charges

E.P.A. CHARGE £5.00

External anti corrosion £3.75

Labour Cost £770.00

Parts £36.47

Paint and Materials £165.00

Charges £8.75

Sundry Charges £0.73

Subtotal £980.95

VAT @ 17.50 £171.67

Total £1,152.62

my god!! thats alot, im very lucky with my bodyshop i use then.. :lol:

You will be well advised to give the gravel traps a miss this season then Neil because that is light compared to what can happen :drive1:drive1:drive1:lol::lol::lol:

And don't tell me that you have no intention of going there because if you don't then you are not trying hard enough, :lol: so I expect you to have both front and rear tow eyes in this season. :thumbs: Not long now Neil, how is your car coming along?

Provided you've no issues with driving it might I suggest getting it done in the Spring.........this stinks all over of paying through the sniffler for a repair then driving straight back out into the Arctic Tundra and smashing it again just because sods law says you will!!

You can save up for a few months then and maybe even stockpile a few parts over the coming months ready for the job from cheaper sources?

Let's face it it's the labour costs that take the pee! I mean £770+vat to do a job like that! The average weekly wage in the UK is around £450. What you're paying for is overheads. It's seriously not going to take someone a week and a half to fix that. At a guess they're probably charging £100 p/h. Just find a smaller garage with smaller overheads and you'll pay almost half that in labour costs.

Let's face it it's the labour costs that take the pee! I mean £770+vat to do a job like that! The average weekly wage in the UK is around £450. What you're paying for is overheads. It's seriously not going to take someone a week and a half to fix that. At a guess they're probably charging £100 p/h. Just find a smaller garage with smaller overheads and you'll pay almost half that in labour costs.

I think the point that most peeps are missing is that Chris runs with a genuine Nismo V1 bumper.

Unfortunately fibre glass repairs are not cheap if done properly.

Providing the skill level is representative of the expensive labour charge then I consider that the labour charge is in keeping with todays market place and looking at the content of the materials listed in the quotation then I would expect this to be the case.

However, I am also sure that this could be fixed for considerable less but what quality of repair and finish that one would get is debatable. :)

Perhaps as previously posted, it may be a plan to wait until the winter madness is over as bodyshops most certainly quote higher in the winter months as they have plenty of work :thumbs:

Good luck Chris with what ever you decide mate. :thumbs:

Providing the skill level is representative of the expensive labour charge then I consider that the labour charge is in keeping with todays market place and looking at the content of the materials listed in the quotation then I would expect this to be the case.

However, I am also sure that this could be fixed for considerable less but what quality of repair and finish that one would get is debatable. :)

Indeed, I agree. Just don't want to see a fellow Zed owner spending more than he needs too. Quality and cheap, in the bodywork world rarely go hand in hand.

Good luck Chris with what ever you decide mate. :thumbs:

Absolutely :D

my god!! thats alot, im very lucky with my bodyshop i use then.. :lol:

You will be well advised to give the gravel traps a miss this season then Neil because that is light compared to what can happen :drive1:drive1:drive1:lol::lol::lol:

And don't tell me that you have no intention of going there because if you don't then you are not trying hard enough, :lol: so I expect you to have both front and rear tow eyes in this season. :thumbs: Not long now Neil, how is your car coming along?

lol I meant in terms of price, :lol: I was only 120quid to get my cracked nismo fixed and he done a sterling job.. :thumbs:

Camber arms for rear have now arrived, so going to get them on and go get my allignment done... hopefully the front camber and toe is within the tolerances or i'll need to get front a-arms.

I'm having issues with the rear suspension as its almost at full height and still sitting very very low.

Jason has kindly offered his nismo replica bumper for a small cost once his new one arrives.

Getting the vinyls done in Feb and should be back out playing in march.

Just finalising the deal with my aunts business to try and sucker some money out them for low end advertising on the car. :blush:

as for the towing eyes.... they'll be close to hand. Will be trying very hard to stay out the kitty litter.. :lol::lol:

I'm having issues with the rear suspension as its almost at full height and still sitting very very low.

Something very wrong there then as the KW V3 when adjusted to full height is FAR to high.

hmm my tyres are still in my arches and the adjusters are pretty close to the bottom of the adjusment thread, i may have to get some pictures to you to see what you think.

Something very wrong there then as the KW V3 when adjusted to full height is FAR to high.

hmm my tyres are still in my arches and the adjusters are pretty close to the bottom of the adjusment thread, i may have to get some pictures to you to see what you think.

Have you tried putting the adjusters to the top of the adjuster thread :lol::lol::lol:

Also have you put the adjusters at the top of the spring or the bottom ;):lol:

i know your trying to rip the p1ss here :p:lol: but.....

remember im talking about the rears

on the top of the spring you have the purple adjuster and the little black metal piece which its screwed onto... To adjust the suspension higher you screw the adjuster away from the top of the black section??