Crashed the Alfa...................

Sarnie

...and not let insurers class them as a mod

If they were mandated by the State then you'd have to fit them and if you didnt your insurance would be void ;)

yep you'd need to declare when you fitted them, then if you have a crash and they aren't on then you are trouble.

Had a look at the car again earlier and to be fair there isn't much damage compared to the size of the impact and the damage to the other guys car. The guy hit me full on the drivers side wheel but there isn't a scratch on the wheel at all......

If a Fiesta crumples as easy as his did, I'm glad I was in my car and not his............................

It's the crumple that absorbs the impact mate and not the chassis / passenger compartment - crumpling in the right places shows the designers thought about safety. If the Alfa stood up well then tin foil doors are the way forward :teeth:;):)

Had a look at the car again earlier and to be fair there isn't much damage compared to the size of the impact and the damage to the other guys car. The guy hit me full on the drivers side wheel but there isn't a scratch on the wheel at all......

If a Fiesta crumples as easy as his did, I'm glad I was in my car and not his............................

Maybe something the shed brigade should keep in mind

Bad luck. Hope you get it sorted. Insurance companies must be saving a packet - all the nice people paying themselves rather than claiming! Do think in this case you should use your insurance though. The thing about protected no claims is that you still have to declare the claim when you renew your policy so I never really understand what it's worth (even though I have it).

Bad luck. Hope you get it sorted. Insurance companies must be saving a packet - all the nice people paying themselves rather than claiming! Do think in this case you should use your insurance though. The thing about protected no claims is that you still have to declare the claim when you renew your policy so I never really understand what it's worth (even though I have it).

That was my point!

So you get full NCD for having it protected when you come to renew but then they load your policy because of the claim. So ultimately you can't actually protect your no claims, just a portion of it, dependant on how much they load your policy :wacko:

That was my point!

So you get full NCD for having it protected when you come to renew but then they load your policy because of the claim. So ultimately you can't actually protect your no claims, just a portion of it, dependant on how much they load your policy :wacko:

This is one of the reasons I didnt get Protected NCB on my last policy........ :bang:

No way I could afford to repair the amount of damage I made to the R8 last week though. Insurance it has to be.

Just out of curiosity I looked at Zed quotes today with no NCB.......for a standard Zed, it would be almost 50% to insure than when I had my old one with all the mods declared and covered.

Suffice to say, it'll be a while before Im back in a decent new sports car. :doh:

That was my point!

This is one of the reasons I didnt get Protected NCB on my last policy........ :bang:

No way I could afford to repair the amount of damage I made to the R8 last week though. Insurance it has to be.

Just out of curiosity I looked at Zed quotes today with no NCB.......for a standard Zed, it would be almost 50% to insure than when I had my old one with all the mods declared and covered.

Suffice to say, it'll be a while before Im back in a decent new sports car. :doh:

Exactly, your damned if you do or damned if you don't..................

People pay extra to protect their no claims discount but why, if when you get a claim they load your policy accordingly....

Why don't they just abolish protected NCD and just accumulate NCD until you claim, and then start again??????

Anyway, it's going through the insurance :)

would be interesting to do some quotes based on the fact you CAN put you have xx years no claims if it was protected but also have to declare your accident, then do a quote with zero no claims and declare your accident - see what the difference is?

would be interesting to do some quotes based on the fact you CAN put you have xx years no claims if it was protected but also have to declare your accident, then do a quote with zero no claims and declare your accident - see what the difference is?

You would hope there would be a significant difference wouldnt you, but somehow I get the feeling that there wouldnt! Maybe we should ask someone like Tim@Chris Knott and get an official position ;)

I'd be more interested to see the difference between these two quotes:

Full protected NCD and one claim

&

Full protected NCD with no claims.

The difference between the two would then show how much that the loading for the claim eats inot your supposedly protected NCD..............

Do what I do and just set a dummy quote up on Admiral (usually cheapest anyways) and have a play around.

Use your home address

name - Test Test

Email - Test@test.com

Telephone 0845 000 000

then put in all your figures and just keep amending the quote......its quite surprising actually.........lumping excesses up to like £750 does next to feck all for example.

Its all based on bloody risk models, post codes, statistical anaylisis as opposed to anything that makes sense.........I/E if you get broken into once your more likely to get broken into again (statistically).........pile of robbing, puffed up blowfish turd if you ask me.

Do what I do and just set a dummy quote up on Admiral (usually cheapest anyways) and have a play around.

Use your home address

name - Test Test

Email - Test@test.com

Telephone 0845 000 000

then put in all your figures and just keep amending the quote......its quite surprising actually.........lumping excesses up to like £750 does next to feck all for example.

Its all based on bloody risk models, post codes, statistical anaylisis as opposed to anything that makes sense.........I/E if you get broken into once your more likely to get broken into again (statistically).........pile of robbing, puffed up blowfish turd if you ask me.

Totally agree insurance is rediculous, i know when i having been playing about with quotes over the past year (old job was very boring so played on comparison sites).

basically the more you do to stop your car from being stolen the more the insurance costs,

i.e.

- Garaged, tracked, thatcham alarm = a good £200 more than if it is parked on the street, standard alarm and untracked :bang:

Totally rediculous, i would love to see how cheap it would be if you parked it in the middle of moss side with the doors and windows open engine running, probably end up being free or the insurance company paying you to insure it.

also makes me laugh that the more you do to improve you car to stop you from having and accident (ie better brakes, suspension etc) all make it more and for example snow tyres in the current climate, i dont get why in christs name they add a premium for them.

i dont see why insurance companies dont just charge a set amount for a car/age group and if the owner modifies it he covers the costs himself should it get nicked/broke the insurance company would just pay out for a standard car, would make so much more sense especially as more people would be able to insure their cars leaving fewer people uninsured on the roads. [/rant/tangent]

slightly more on topic sorry to hear about the accident, one thing im dreading atm with all this snow thankfully off work now until january so dont have to drive so much and the zeds not moved out of the drive for about a week if not longer (only had it 2 weeks too :().

was reading somewhere the other day (dont know how true it is) but insurance claims all get based on negligence of the other party so in the current weather if they can prove that the accident was caused by the snow/weather and not through them being a tart then it doesnt go down as their fault it just goes down as act of nature type thing as there was nothing they could do so its kind of a 50/50 outcome for both parties.

hope it all gets sorted though. *ill stop typing now promise*

Garaged, tracked, thatcham alarm = a good £200 more than if it is parked on the street, standard alarm and untracked :bang:Harder to steal a car in broad daylight - easier in a hidden garage - dunno about tracker though

Totally rediculous, i would love to see how cheap it would be if you parked it in the middle of moss side with the doors and windows open engine running, probably end up being free or the insurance company paying you to insure it. insurance assumption - this person is obviously a local gangster/drug baron and therefore no one will nick their motor

also makes me laugh that the more you do to improve you car to stop you from having and accident (ie better brakes, suspension etc) all make it more and for example snow tyres in the current climate, i dont get why in christs name they add a premium for them. We think - car improved to make safer........they think - car modified so it can be driven faster thus increasing risk of policy holder driving like they're in Ronin

i dont see why insurance companies dont just charge a set amount for a car/age group and if the owner modifies it he covers the costs himself should it get nicked/broke the insurance company would just pay out for a standard car, would make so much more sense especially as more people would be able to insure their cars leaving fewer people uninsured on the roads. [/rant/tangent]I hate insurance companies but this would be a little flawed mate - I could be the same age as you, drive the same car but we could drive completely differently and at different standards........for example I've been involved (INVOLVED and not at fault I stress!!) in 10 accidents in 11 years of driving...I guess you haven't and therefore I'm statistically a higher risk

was reading somewhere the other day (dont know how true it is) but insurance claims all get based on negligence of the other party so in the current weather if they can prove that the accident was caused by the snow/weather and not through them being a tart then it doesnt go down as their fault it just goes down as act of nature type thing as there was nothing they could do so its kind of a 50/50 outcome for both parties. That sounds like someone would have to take a common sense view.........I'm willing to wager my left knacker that they won't......in fact don't most insurance policies void if an 'act of God' can be proven?

Garaged, tracked, thatcham alarm = a good £200 more than if it is parked on the street, standard alarm and untracked :bang:Harder to steal a car in broad daylight - easier in a hidded garage - dunno about tracker though

But if its in a garage hidden away no one can see it to steal it.

Totally rediculous, i would love to see how cheap it would be if you parked it in the middle of moss side with the doors and windows open engine running, probably end up being free or the insurance company paying you to insure it. insurance assumption - this person is obviously a local gangster/drug baron and therefore no one will nick their motor

:lol: probably true :lol:

also makes me laugh that the more you do to improve you car to stop you from having and accident (ie better brakes, suspension etc) all make it more and for example snow tyres in the current climate, i dont get why in christs name they add a premium for them. We think - car improved to make safer........they think - car modified so it can be driven faster thus increasing risk of policy holder driving like they're in Ronin

suppose so but still annoying.

i dont see why insurance companies dont just charge a set amount for a car/age group and if the owner modifies it he covers the costs himself should it get nicked/broke the insurance company would just pay out for a standard car, would make so much more sense especially as more people would be able to insure their cars leaving fewer people uninsured on the roads. [/rant/tangent]I hate insurance companies but this would be a little flawed mate - I could be the same age as you, drive the same car but we could drive completely differently and at different standards........for example I've been involved (INVOLVED and not at fault I stress!!) in 10 accidents in 11 years of driving...I guess you haven't and therefore I'm statistically a higher risk

only been involved in one wasnt at fault either but never went near insurance companies as i was changing the next week and didnt facny a claim going through at the time (first year of driving). but they dont really take driver standards into consideration currently imo as its just a case of the older you get the cheaper it gets although imo i drive a dam site better than a few older people i know. its like with the changing jobs bit i dont get how that affects it so much either as when i took 1 word out of my job title from accounts manager to just accountant it dropped £80ish, tbf i could rant about insurance for ages so im going to stop :lol:.

was reading somewhere the other day (dont know how true it is) but insurance claims all get based on negligence of the other party so in the current weather if they can prove that the accident was caused by the snow/weather and not through them being a tart then it doesnt go down as their fault it just goes down as act of nature type thing as there was nothing they could do so its kind of a 50/50 outcome for both parties. That sounds like someone would have to take a common sense view.........I'm willing to wager my left knacker that they won't......in fact don't most insurance policies void if an 'act of God' can be proven?

i dont really know just something i read.

I totally agree mate but thats exactly why no one can understand insurance quotes......I'm guessing (hopefully correctly) that an insurance company risk model crunches years of statistics and you get retarded results like this;

- More people have cars stolen out of their garages because scroats know they are easier to steal than doing it in broad daylight. Perhaps I'm giving too much credit to the average TWOC'R but they probably case up most thefts rather than do it on the off chance. Therefore garage presents a higher risk!!!!! MAD

- People who live out in the rolling English countryside drive on more dangerous roads (small narrow winding country lanes and mega busy A roads connecting the countryside to the wider world)........therefore they present a higher risk.

- Generally speaking the countrywide is an expensive place to live and therefore people who live there are wealthy and will drive expensive cars. Criminal gangs target these areas because the Cozzers response time is huge (same for rural pubs getting nailed for the fruit/fag machines). Living in the countryside makes you 'statistically' a higher risk.

- ANYONE who modifies has the potential to have an itching urge to be in Fast and the Furious 5 - Ipswich Drift......and they MUST want to drive faster because they're making their car more powerful and to stop quicker.

- If you ever get broken into you are 'statistically' more likey to visit the same places at the same times and therefore present a higher risk of being broken into again.

- .........and the same with being involved in a crash thats not your fault. You are more likely to drive on the same roads, at the same time, with the same cretins around you.

Of course the vast majority of this is total bull but thats how credit risk models are created.........feed in a load of info and use the random crap produced as your risk model.

Thats why mortgage companies like the one I work for were quite happy to lend to people who never paid, couldn't pay and wouldn't pay...........because statistically the chances of you making a loss were 'X' and therefore worth the risk. That was of course until the arse dropped out of the world and all the houses became worth feck all but the same principal none the less.