Fuel Problem??

Gibby

Its cold, car might not reach optimal temp so be pumping more fuel in. Also a car uses about 7% more fuel at 0c then at 10c.

Very true, cold air is denser so drag on the car increases, also fuel burns faster as there's more oxygen. Tyres have greater rolling resistance when cold. Yep, 7% sounds right, will be even higher at say -10 :scare:

Pete

I do all my driving around town, usually very short 2 mile journeys. I was averaging around 17/18mpg, I'm now getting around 14.5mpg. I really hope it's just the cold weather. I just put £70 in and I'm showing 200 miles in the tank... Definitely fuel price isn't helping, but lower avg mpg is hopefully just down to the cold weather. Also being very light on the pedal considering the weather, so the cars never really warming up.

Thank god it's not just me as I am also suffering from the same issues. I usually get at least 300miles from full to when the light comes on, however recently I'm getting around 275miles when the light comes on! No change in driving style.

I'm going to use the diagnostic gear at work to see if I can pull any codes out of it and maybe get it on a ramp to check for any fuel leaks.

Anyone know when the fuel filter is due off the top of their head?

Thanks.

They must have a fuel filters in the tank then like the Aston's do. But its not classed as a serviceable item changed during a routine service.

I plugged my 350 onto our generic Snap On Modus OBD kit and it was showing no fault codes. I had a quick look around the engine bay for obvious fuel leaks, none found. the fuel rails are very hard to get a look at what with the manifold being in the way.

I'm going to get it on a ramp and check the fuel lines and tank for anything. My fuel gauge is in the middle of half a tank and quarter of a tank, and I've done about 152 miles. I'm going to keep digging bbecause its beginning to annoy me now!

Thanks

They must have a fuel filters in the tank then like the Aston's do. But its not classed as a serviceable item changed during a routine service.

I plugged my 350 onto our generic Snap On Modus OBD kit and it was showing no fault codes. I had a quick look around the engine bay for obvious fuel leaks, none found. the fuel rails are very hard to get a look at what with the manifold being in the way.

I'm going to get it on a ramp and check the fuel lines and tank for anything. My fuel gauge is in the middle of half a tank and quarter of a tank, and I've done about 152 miles. I'm going to keep digging bbecause its beginning to annoy me now!

Thanks

probably, same on my 172 not to be touched until 150k miles :wacko:

lost abit of mpg on the stook in the snow with all the slow moving and cold weather i reckon about 50 miles down on the usual tank full

This sounds about par for the course for those of us who have more that a short town based commute. I've been down from a 420 to 360 miles per tank. That's with a fully service including new plugs just over a week ago so I know that its not a blocked filter related issue.

200 miles per tank sounds like you've either some serious peformance mods under the hood or something is amiss. That seems to work out to about 13 mpg. Before I got the Zed I had a fleeting thought about getting an RX8, but the thought of sub 20 mpg was just too much for a 60 mile daily commute.

The last tank of fuel i used before stripping the car lasted me 180 miles of motorway cruising, its now sat just above red. Trip comp is slightly optimistic i feel in claiming i have 300 miles dte :lol:

Do i win a prize :teeth:

I'm glad I read this posting; very interesting and certainly explains why my MPG is dropping like a lead balloon.

I was beginning to worry that I may have a problem but I was just hoping it was the cold weather. Even though I knew realistically it was due to the weather I never actually understood the reasons......but now it makes far more sense.

I must admit that I am always learning new things and soaking up more information from all the genius' on this forum.......I thank you all. :thumbs: