Crumpled Z :-(

scubapics

Someone in a white van pranged my O/S/R wing on Sunday in a car park. I wasn't present at the time and he at least had the decency to leave a not with name and number on my windscreen.

Just behind the fuel filler cap and just under the rear light. The lamp and filler cap is ok but the wing has been compressed. Also the bumper just below the wing has been scuffed and there is a crease in it now.

All seems repairable, can be pulled out, then filled and painted. And the bumper can be filled and painted too.

Got two quotes so far. First one thinks there is a bulge in the bumper and I should get it replaced - cost: 1 grand + vat. I can't see or feel the bulge and I think the chap is pulling a fast one. As soon as I mentioned that I wasn't paying for it and it could be an insurance claim has immediately wanted to put a whole new bumper on it.

Second quote: 350+vat! Pull the dent out, fill, paint and fill/paint the bumper. He sees no reason to replace the bumper at all.

Going to get a thrid quote shortly. Will update later.

My question is how to go about getting the money back. The chap sounds reasonable and honest. He's willing to pay or make a claim depending on the cost. If he's going to pay cash, should I get him to pay upfront? If he goes the insurance route, do I need to speak to my insurance? I'm just bothered about having the work done and then struggling to recover the cost.

I'll post photos later.

Jim

A friend of mine had his car damaged by a neighbour a couple of weeks ago. Being a nice chap he agreed to let the neighbour repair it for cash. Two weeks down the line the guy who did the damage changed his mind and wanted to claim he hit my friends car in his works van. In the meantime my mate hasnt had a hire car which he would have done if it was an insurance claim from day one. Its turned into a real nightmare.

Your shout. :)

you are lucky he left you his number and details. Most people would pretend he didnt do anything and drive off.

Ring him and ask. If the quote is reasonable some people will pay so it doesnt go through the insurance.

I has someone damage my car and i told him how much it was going to be and he send me a cheque.

Im guessing that if he was decent enough to leave his details he will be ok with paying.

I'd want a new bumper, I've heard that the filler can fall away sometimes.

Nice of him to leave you a note though :thumbs:

I'd still want to go through the insurance and let them repair it. It's less hassle if something happens to the car later down the line due to a bad repair job or something.

An update.

Two more quotes. Neither of which think new bumper is needed. So I'm inclined to think that the first quote is taking the mickey.

So four quotes in total as follows:

1014+vat (new bumper)

574+vat (respray the whole bumper)

350+vat (remove bumper, repair, respray damaged area + pull/fill o/s/r 1/4 panel)

240+vat (remove bumper, repair, respray damaged area + pull/fill o/s/r 1/4 panel)

Seems no consistency. Except that the first two claim to deal with prestige cars. The second two are your run of the mill independent body shops. All been in business for 10 + years.

Jim

£1200.00 in readies :yahoo: in your hand now, or go insurance route.

+1

Take a written copy of the most expensive quote you have to him and ask him to pay it, any quibbles then go through the insurance immediately.

I'd want a new bumper, just think about when your trying to sell the car and people are noticing the repair work and walking away.....

Yes, just give them a call and register the claim. The rest is up to them. Where are you based bud, we may be able to recommend a bodyshop. Kuro isnt the worst colour to match. :)

Crowthorne / Bracknell / Hook / Hartley Wintney.

Perfect Paint in Sandhurst have got good reviews plus they were the ones wanting to replace the bumper.

http://www.350z-uk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=40562

Similar sitation a few months ago with some advice about insurance claims.......if you can get his insurance details to claim from directly then I would take that route - notify your own though.

I read that thread. Not very nice position to be in. I would have called the police to the scene. Any sign of aggression and it's a call to the police to sort it out.

Luckily the chap put his name and number under my windscreen and followed it up later with insurance details via email after I phoned him.

Incidently I just called the repair center that wanted to put a new bumper on the car. I really don't like them now. Very pushy, wanting be to use some company to handle the claim instead of using my insurance company. It's all sounding very back handed to me. Another thing I live by, if it doesn't sound right, walk away. So I will not be using them either.