Anyone doing an iPad install?

James B

As the title indicates, I'm intersted to know if any of the more handy and experimental among us have used an ipad in an intall?

Just got mine getting delivered on Wednesday and think it would look cool on some kind of retractable mount coming from the cubby. Stories, thoughts and ideas wanted. :boxing:

I've got a simple audio into my double din that comes out from the cubby so would be awesome.

i had thought about this if i could get it linked up to my HKS camp 2, but as yet there isnt an adater for it

do a serch on you tube as there is a guy in the states that done it on the first week of release

edit:

her ya go

It's really too big to be mounted in the car. Don't think it would even remotely go into the cubby. Not really worth it IMO. Get a nurrished system instead.

Love my iPad...

Used it for looking at the service manuals all day yesterday when I was doing my fluid changes...

But, as Sparky says... where would it fit in the car? :blink:

It's really too big to be mounted in the car. Don't think it would even remotely go into the cubby. Not really worth it IMO. Get a nurrished system instead.

Love my iPad...

Used it for looking at the service manuals all day yesterday when I was doing my fluid changes...

custom made housing unit in place of the headunit and cubby hole ?

not seen one in the flesh so not sure on the exact size :blush:

Love my iPad...

I would say they are too big to be honest.

Plus the screen is SO shiny... If it caught the sun and got you in your eyes, you would be screwed :D

don't think the ipad would fit but a samsung galaxy tab might make the grade :thumbs:

Free googlemaps satnav. Not a full as the ipad for apps at the moment but i hope the android market will overtake the apple store one day.

I was thinking of somehting like a retractable claw / bracket fixed to the back wall of the cubby. Would enable you to fix it then remove it and shut the cubby door.

Would look kick ass and be really easy to navgate music link to my HU.

The gauntlet has been thrown down! :boxing:

Love my iPad...

your right paul, it would fit in place of both cubby and head unit.

my question would be if you could cheekily fit a single din under it also...

• 1 month later...

Hrmm....

Have ipad and 350z, been looking at changing the bose HU recently for something interesting.

Wonder if an amp and ipad combo could do the job? Maybe wack some laptop gubbins in passanger side storage for wireless internet (non-wireless ipad).

about to browse ebay for centre console plastics... :teeth:

I know what you mean, but if it was fitted right I think it could work. Key thing for me is that it can be removed, otherwise it'll get nicked in all of 5 minutes.

Is it a smart move to do away with the HU? If I had an amp with several AUX ins I could run one to ipad, one to ipod and another one to a handsfree system.

I know what you mean, but if it was fitted right I think it could work. Key thing for me is that it can be removed, otherwise it'll get nicked in all of 5 minutes.

Is it a smart move to do away with the HU? If I had an amp with several AUX ins I could run one to ipad, one to ipod and another one to a handsfree system.

No IMO you still need a headunit for a few reasons,

E.g. lets say you have 2 amps one for comps and one for subs. You would need to do some dodgy wiring to make them both connect at the same time. But a headunit could have 2 rca's and send the signal togther therefore sounding normaly.

Easy volume control.

Radio + cd's.

Can easily fit hands free that will mute the music when you have a call.

No amp has several aux ins generally most have one input as an rca and output to speakers.

The headunit will take the signal from the ipad and amplify the signal or line drive it e.g. your output on your ipad might be 100mv's but an amp generally requires an input of 2v's so thats its not having to crazy stress. Head unit will make it much higher than the ipad.

Also why have an ipod and and ipad and most likely an iphone. Surely the ipad can do what the ipod can do so not needing the ipod. Really the iphone can do what the ipad and ipod can do so you dont need either :lol::lol:

Also if you would need to be able to move it to sync it.

also make sure you jailbreak it and hack the crap out of it.

this is a nice idea but the logistics of it will be uneconomical to do. and the likely hood of fecking your dash is high.

personally if i was to do it i would be ripping the entire centre console out and building a new centre console from scratch. it would then incorporate the ipad, single din headunit and the 3 dials at the top.

this does however come down to how good your fiberglassing skills are. ;)