Updated**Spoiler and damage**Updated

JetSet

Just had my replica Nismo spoiler fitted. Unfortunately they didn't take sufficient care in removing the OEM spoiler and left the car with several deep scratches and a small dint. I'll be taking further action in the morning.

Looks good from here

P1014433.jpg

P1014437.jpg

Here's a sample of the scratches, you can just make out the dint in the last photo. You can also see from photos 2 and 6 that it hasn't been fitted square to the bodywork, out by an eighth of an inch or so, consequently the end of the spoiler is touching the bodywork on the passenger side.

P1014432.jpg

P1014438.jpg

P1014434.jpg

P1014435.jpg

P1014436.jpg

Pete

hi m8,seems a common problem.When the bodyshop under took fitting my v2 spoiler i didnt expect a call saying can you pop in we have a prob.

well to cut a long story short they had a windscreen guy cheese wire the o/e spoiler off and he had caught the edge of the boot lid with the tool.The bodyshop wanted to charge me but i told them i was not paying for there mistakes.If they sub let part of the job it was down to them.Anyway the job was completed and on collect the bill was as it should be.

hope this helps m8.Stand your ground and hopefully you ve not parted with any cash yet.

The spoilers and bonded on TIGHT! I have removed a few and they are a nightmare! Due to the grit etc that gets trapped under it you will scratch the paintwork but it was a poor show leaving it in that condition. The majority should polish out with a machine, mine did.

R

Looks like they got the colour code wrong for a start. Even taking into account that silver is tough to blend - I bet they went with the GM code rather than the Blade silver code - it'd be the first question that I'd ask.

I watched the guy taking the colour code from the plate under the bonnet. I agree though, it doesn't look to be quite right. Having said that, a lot depends on the angle that you look at it, from the back it looks to be darker but if you view it from by the driver or passenger door then it looks to be a reasonably good match.

Pete

The spoilers and bonded on TIGHT! I have removed a few and they are a nightmare! Due to the grit etc that gets trapped under it you will scratch the paintwork but it was a poor show leaving it in that condition. The majority should polish out with a machine, mine did.

R

I understand what you're saying but this is a professional body shop. They charged me more for fitting than the cost of the spoiler itself so I expected a better job. I'm not really sure I can trust these people to repair the damage so I may well finish up taking it somewhere else and just put it down to experience. :angry:.

Cheers,

Pete

R

I understand what you're saying but this is a professional body shop. They charged me more for fitting than the cost of the spoiler itself so I expected a better job. I'm not really sure I can trust these people to repair the damage so I may well finish up taking it somewhere else and just put it down to experience. :angry:.

Cheers,

Pete

I agree, they should have been prepared for the job. They clearly forgot that in any situation when something won't budge get some heat on it :) Heat fixes everything.

On further inspection this morning I've noticed some gouging to the Nissan badge on the boot. You can see it on the 5th photo I posted, I'm guessing that they used a long screwdriver to lever up the OEM spoiler, resting it on the badge as just above the badge is the deepest scratch of them all. Looking at the old spoiler, you can clearly see in several places damage to the bonding caused by a screwdriver or something similar. I'm still weighing up my options, problem is I'm a non confrontational sort of person and on top of that there are other, shall we say complications, that I don't really want to go into at this stage. I have phoned them up and spoken to them but they replied that the damage was already there when they removed the OEM spoiler, so basically they are denying responsibility. Not really much I can do, getting into abusive arguments isn't in my nature and I'm pretty certain that's what it'll come down to. Caroline is absolutely furious, she knows how well I've looked after this car since I bought it in 2007 and once again, for reasons I won't go into this could make things complicated. Unfortunately, this experience has really put me off any further modding, for now at least :) .

Thanks for all your messages of support BTW, I appreciate it.

Pete

I fitted mine myself and considering I have to think hard before putting Ikea furniture together it was a major undertaking.

Bearing in mind my ineptness, I did a better job than that bodyshop did with your car. Although I do still have a couple of minor scratches to sort out, in pretty much the same places as yours too.

bloody cowboys. god it makes me so mad when these things happen. gone are the days when these people take pride in their workplace. theres no excuses . a heat gun and a spreader (filler card) would have removed this lip spoiler no problem, and as for the lining up, this is so easy as the baseplate sits flush with the front edgeof the boot . im not being rude but this looks the work of a trainee strip/fitter. i would tell them of your upset. they must have somebody in authority in a position who can address your concerns otherwise i would tell them that you will be seeking the opinion of trading standards. sorry this happened to you. :(

• 5 weeks later...

O.K, All is now well again. Chris had a word with the boss and he readily agreed to repair the damage and refit the spoiler. This time they've done a very good job, the spoiler now fits perfectly, no more rattling and the small dint and various scratches have now gone :) . The holes on the spoiler were slightly out so they opened the existing hole about an eight of an inch. The boot they resprayed. I'm very happy now :)

I was going to post a number of pictures but it's blowing a hurricane out there today and in any case there's not much to see. Just grabbed this one snap.

P1014465.jpg

Onwards and upwards!!

Pete