Going green...

evest

Don't worry , this not a fuel related post.

I'm thinking of going vegetarian, maybe even vegan eventually, for various reasons. In fact I've been quietly considering it for some time but just haven't taken the plunge yet.

Has anybody on here done this? Would be glad of any advice, cheers! :)

Once went to my brothers for Christmas dinner, risoles :angry:

My daughter went vegan in her teens (as many do) but that ended one sunday morning when I was making a bacon sandwich and turned round to see her chomping it down :rant:

Fair play though, as long it is for the right reasons and not just appearances, my brother has just bought a Prius to sit in his drive... :doh:

Well I'm pushing 30 so it certainly won't be a fad thing, and its not to try and look nuevo-eco or whatever the phrase is. Tbh, I won't go into my reasons as I don't want to spark a big debate - but they are genuine.

Just wondered if anybody had done the conversion, and how they found it. :)

my brother has just bought a Prius to sit in his drive... :doh:

Do they have a forum?!?

Maybe I should ask on there - I can see the general momentum of opinion here is somewhat against the idea...just a bit... :lol:

Correct me if i am wrong......

First off, each to their own.... :thumbs: whatever makes you happy. :teeth:

But how come vegetablearians can eat fish? I would have thought that fish is "meat"?

THB i think IMO vegan is a step too far.

Good question, I guess there are different stage or degrees of vegetablearianism. I don't think I could convert overnight. Giving up meat wouldn't be a that massive an issue for me, I don't really eat that much of it anyway. Giving up dairy would be much harder for me though. And yeah, I'd miss fish too!

Correct me if i am wrong......

First off, each to their own.... :thumbs: whatever makes you happy. :teeth:

But how come vegetablearians can eat fish? I would have thought that fish is "meat"?

THB i think IMO vegan is a step too far.

Good question, I guess there are different stage or degrees of vegetablearianism. I don't think I could convert overnight. Giving up meat wouldn't be a that massive an issue for me, I don't really eat that much of it anyway. Giving up dairy would be much harder for me though. And yeah, I'd miss fish too!

Fish..... :yuck: Cant stand the stuff, its all too, well, well, Fishy for me.

Depends if your doing it for ethical or health reasons.

Personally I think you need to eat meat for a healthy balanced diet.

If its because for one reason or another you no longer think its ethical to eat meat then to each his own.

So the study goes.......the average human will carry 5lbs of undigested mean in their colon by the age of 50....mmmmmm undigested meat (which incidentially I would rather eat the undigested meat from my own colon than a tofu burger!) :snack:

Personally I think you need to eat meat for a healthy balanced diet.

Still doing my homework on that. I think you probably can get everything you need, but looks a lot harder to do, and to make sure you don't miss out on iron, etc...

As far as my fairly limited research goes I'd agree. It can be done but its just a LOT harder to get all your essentials in.

Depends what your lifestyle is like too. If you excercise a lot then stopping meat will mean you need to eat even more to make up the protien and other good stuff that meat give you.

My other half decided she was going to be a veggie for about 3 months.........the weight I had spent 6 months and what felt like 1 billion hours in the gym putting on dropped off in weeks because I was basically forced into not eating meat :angry:

I exercise quite a bit and don't want my fitness to suffer - one of the main things stopping me going for it at the moment. My missus a veggie too and we've just moved in together! She's okay about me eating meat though - I can see her getting a bit edgy when I'm doing bacon butties though! :snack:

Eat Meat!!!

Steak is just the meat from cows, who have ruminated the cud several times in their 4 stomachs having first eaten GRASS - which IIRC is GREEN and VEGETABLE

so Steak is just a very refined and processed derivative of vegetable matter :yahoo:

I exercise quite a bit and don't want my fitness to suffer - one of the main things stopping me going for it at the moment. My missus a veggie too and we've just moved in together! She's okay about me eating meat though - I can see her getting a bit edgy when I'm doing bacon butties though! :snack:

Bing! There's the real reason there! :lol:

But seriously, Bacon butties must be the number 1 wrecker of veggie ideals on the planet. It made my mates girlfriend cave in eventually, the smell is like catnip to them ;)