Cycle to Work Scheme anyone?

maz0

Going to start cycling to work and also doing some weekly 20 mile or so trips.

I work in a job that can take advantage of the cycle to work scheme so going to get my self a decent road/race bike. Thinking of a full carbon Ribble Nero RC with Campagnolo Veloce gearset. I'm not up on bike's but a few review's say this to be a decent set up for about £1000.

Any cycling buffs out there that can give me any other advice on a better set up before I commit?

Where do you work that has a cycle to work scheme? Whats the benefits, few pence per mile? Also does your place offer loans to buy a bike

I work for a police force as a civilian staff member. It's a weird arrangement, but they give you £1000 to purchase a bike + accessories and then you pay for this through a hire agreement about 30 odd quid a month before tax + NI deductions, and then have the choice to purchase the bike at market value at the end of it. So all in you can save a fair bit of dosh.

Funny you mentioning this today, I just cycled to work this morning for the first time in years! Don't know much about Ribble bikes, I've got a Trek road bike (a brand I would definitely recommend) but I looked the Nero RC up and it looks the business :thumbs:

Funny you mentioning this today, I just cycled to work this morning for the first time in years! Don't know much about Ribble bikes, I've got a Trek road bike (a brand I would definitely recommend) but I looked the Nero RC up and it looks the business :thumbs:

How did it go mate? I'm a bit apprehensive as I've never really done road riding before. Last time I rode was when I was about 15 and that was all over the place!

I was in Alpine bikes looking at the Trek 2.1 and 3.1 which is a kind of medium/high end alloy bike if I'm correct. It did look the business!

Jay it won't be that when your rugby team boots you out for being so unfit you can't run half the length of the pitch! 'ooh how do I improve my fitness blah blah'.

My work also does a cycle to work scheme and quite a few of us have taken the offer up.

A bike you don't have to pay any tax on is worth taking advantage on.

I got a Boardmans Hybrid bike worth £850 and really rate it. I do about 60 miles a week on it mostly in London and not only is it getting me fitter, I do not have to ride on that horrible underground. The other benefit is that I am saving loads of money on petrol in the zed and not racking up the mileage. But I do negate that by missing the drive so go out on a nice long blast on the twisties with a huge smile on my face

my firm offers this scheme as well, most of the office based guys have done it just to get a good bike. some have really pushed the boat out and got the best bikes, others have simply got a good bike at a really cheap price.

u go into a bike shop that offers the bike scheme and then ask them what u can have for the money u want to pay a week.

my friend got a 2k bike + accessories for for almost nothing a month.

its a good thing if u want a good bike but at a cheap price.

It was fine for me...Ayr is nothing like Glasgow for traffic on the roads although it will be worse when the schools go back. It's only a 6 mile cycle so I was at work in 20 minutes, faster than I can drive in, park and then walk to work! Plus I don't have to worry about my precious zed getting dinked in the car park since it's sitting safely at home :)

Best thing to do if you're not too confident on busy roads is take your time at junctions and roundabouts and if you ever feel like you're in danger get off and walk! Reflective clothing is a good idea and I also consider padded shorts a must. My bike is a 1.5, it's kind of erring towards the budget end, I got it for £600 about 3 years ago. I tend to do 30-50 miles a week (will be more if I start cycling to work regularly) and it does all I need it to.

And Jay, you're so right...I'll be back in the car at the first sign of so much as a stiff breeze :lol:

My work also does a cycle to work scheme and quite a few of us have taken the offer up.

A bike you don't have to pay any tax on is worth taking advantage on.

I got a Boardmans Hybrid bike worth £850 and really rate it. I do about 60 miles a week on it mostly in London and not only is it getting me fitter, I do not have to ride on that horrible underground. The other benefit is that I am saving loads of money on petrol in the zed and not racking up the mileage. But I do negate that by missing the drive so go out on a nice long blast on the twisties with a huge smile on my face

Ditto on this I got a Boardman Hybrid Ltd Edition bike. After benfits and tax relief the bike really only set me back £600. It is basically a company asset for the duration of the agreement and then at the end of it you buy it for a value of what the bike is worth when the agreement ends.

I asked my company what this would be and they said it would be capped at £20 so I said what if I didn't want to pay the £20 and they said they would take it back and scrap it. So in other words I could avoid paying the small fee if I was really tight with them

The only place my bikes go are dirty trails. Ive got a few 2 giant bikes and a Kona dirt jump bike. Mixed front forks. I also own a claud butler jump bike which is an awesome frame for the money. Dirt jump bike has Rockshox boxxer front triple clamp suspension. And ive got other rigid front forks for doing trial riding in the claud. Not been on them since i bought a car... Cycling to works a pain in the balls especially in my job where I drive around a thousand miles a week. Road cycling=crap... Enjoy your spandex shorts and sore goochies(bit between ass and balls) boys :lol:

any one know the correct name?..... just out of interest :surrender:

Not that it will make any difference.... I will always call it the same thing :lol::lol::lol:

I dunno mate, but I don't think it's got anything to do with buying a decent bike :p

Not that it will make any difference.... I will always call it the same thing :lol::lol::lol:

I dunno mate, but I don't think it's got anything to do with buying a decent bike :p

Thats very true :lol:

Back on the bike theme though, I have MTB, and I have recently been thinking of getting another set of wheels and tyres.... so if I want to brave the ride to work it will be a little smoother, then just swap back for proper riding :lol:

Thats very true :lol:

Back on the bike theme though, I have MTB, and I have recently been thinking of getting another set of wheels and tyres.... so if I want to brave the ride to work it will be a little smoother, then just swap back for proper riding :lol:

I tried the tiny thin road tyres on my bro's MTB for a quick ride and it made a world of difference to the speed and smoothness! Buggered if I come across a patch of mud tho!

I live in Preston and can just about see the Ribble Bikes shop from my flat, in fact I have just been to the chippy next door to it. Actually I think they have moved to a bigger unit to concentrate on internet sales, but the old shop has their stuff all over the outside still.

A lot of the guys round here that take cycling reasonably seriously have bought from them and I think they have a good reputation. I was speaking to a guy who does iron man in the pub on Sunday, and his bike was from them too and he seemed keen on it.

My place has a similar scheme. Maybe I should visit them given my chips and beer diet.

I live in Preston and can just about see the Ribble Bikes shop from my flat, in fact I have just been to the chippy next door to it. Actually I think they have moved to a bigger unit to concentrate on internet sales, but the old shop has their stuff all over the outside still.

A lot of the guys round here that take cycling reasonably seriously have bought from them and I think they have a good reputation. I was speaking to a guy who does iron man in the pub on Sunday, and his bike was from them too and he seemed keen on it.

My place has a similar scheme. Maybe I should visit them given my chips and beer diet.

I've been contacting them all day about trying to get a good bike from them that's just above the £1000 limit, which I would pay my self, but their sales team are like a bunch of idiot's! They are sooo unhelpful :(

Go find alex the sales manager and slap him for me please?