Running a Zed?

D4V3 GT4

I've been meaning to ask this question for a while as it has always intrigued me. Apart from people who run there Zeds as part of a works package how much money does the average zed owner have to earn to run the car comfortably, by this I mean without running up huge debts!

I'm on a decent wage and have a mortgage, no kids at the moment and still grind my teeth when parting with the near 60 quid a week to fill her up.

Now don't get me wrong, I can afford it but all the cars I've had before have cost me a lot less to run, and I've been brought up to appreciate money, and like many of you who I'm sure work very hard to get it!

It seems to me that you do have to earn a decent amount to finance a new/nearly new Z.

I was lucky and have ended up with no finance on the car, but even with a decent income I may have found it hard to justify the monthly payments! along with other bills.

And before anyone says, "If your concerned about running it you shouldn't have bought a V6" I love the car and wouldn't drive anything else (for the time being anyway)

Anyway like I said I'm just curious to what sort of background the Zed owner comes from and how many actually struggle to run it, or can finance it with no problem.

I'm not bothered about knowing peoples earnings (as I'm sure you wouldn't say anyway) but just how many Z owners run the car comfortably, and how many struggle to pay for the car they love

(I would fall into the latter, if I had finance on the car)

Cheers,

Curious DaveH

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The wife and I recently got new cars, a Micra for her btw. We are both employed and at the moment can comfortably afford both the insuranace and fuel bills for both cars, admittedly the Z is only a social car, used mostly at weekends but I have still managed to put 650 miles on it in under 2 weeks. Mind you, it was only now that we decided that we could afford both cars, having recently got married and moved house we knew that before we had paid for those two things we would have been struggling.

25, living in the M4 corrider, 4 cars in the house (that I own), yes it's a bite out of my income, but wouldn't change it at all.

Ultimately the fuel cost would be same in any other car with the same fuel consumption, so not Zed specific I don't think!

Completly valid question which I agree when I asked got the the "oh if you worry about petrol forget it" which is just stupid.

I have it as an only car, doing mostly local journerys (only 5 miles to work) with the occasional 100 mile weekend round trip. And a 500 round trip a couple times a year.

THe cost for me have been roughly

£450 insurance (27/7yrsNCB/Good Area)

£162 Service (£122 service + Oil)

£20 Wipers

£100 Brakes sometime later this year

Hopefully that will be it for this 12 months (only 3 months in).

Petrol has been £420 for just under 2000 miles with 23.3 MPG

I get around 18-20MPG doing down driving and 30MPG doing 80mph motorway driving

Hopefully that will help work out if you can afford it

Perfectly valid question :)

I think it depends on a whole host of factors, not just wages, lifestyle for one I guess. People spend their cash on different things. Most of my mates spend £100 a month on booze, where as I'm lucky if I have a bottle or two of Becks at Christmas! I'm not one for expensive clothes/accessories - but I will happily spend £50 on car cleaning products :D Each to their own I guess!

I came to the Zed from the Scooby, so cost wise, it was actually a cheaper car to run. However, as you rightly say, sticking £65 worth of super in can be quite depressing...

Running a Zed isn't bad though, if you look at the car, it's power, looks etc. Compared to most similar cars, it's a steal, both to buy and run.

I think most people at work think I have a sideline in crack :scare:;)

What is weird is staring out on to the driveway and thinking, jeez, that's my car!

I bought mine when I could afford it and have a fuel card to pay for the immense thirst. If I had to find the cash now and pay the petrol each week (just under a tank) I might be struggling a little. Would probably still do it though! :teeth:

Perfectly good question IMO.

As you all know I'm not shy and don't mind disclosing stuff!! :D

My zed costs me:

£590 per month in finance.

£350 per month in petrol

£648 per year insurance

£350 per year in services etc.

All in all my zed costs me over a grand a month :thumbs: My mortgage is also £1100 a month as well :scare:

To be fair, I ain't married and have no kids so I can comfortably afford it. There will be people saying 'I don't owe a penny on my zed' and fair play to ya. I could do that too but I'd have to save for years to be able get into that position. I WANTED MY ZED NOW :yahoo:

I can afford it but only as I work away so I'm not filling it up all the time. It's also the first car I financed and to be honest that was a huge decision. I just thought that I had to do it now. Live for the day, no kids so no need for back seats!

I said to my mum (she was worried about finance as my folks never finance cars) that I needed to do it now as I didn't want to be old and looking like a wannabe young guy!

I think it's more about justifying the expense for me. I grudge paying some things but not my car as it gives me so much enjoyment.

Its good that you are asking these questions as it helps out other would be owners - I suspect that most of the 'Zed for Sale' posts in the Cars for Sale section on these site'S' are from owners who wished they had asked the same questions!! Its one thing to buy the car or get finance for one (which is stupidly easy), it's another thing to be able to pay for running costs and maintainance - once you start skimping on costs to keep the car going it starts to show.

My zed costs me:

£350 per month in petrol

£648 per year insurance

All in all my zed costs me over a grand a month :thumbs: My mortgage is also £1100 a month as well :scare:

To be fair, I ain't married and have no kids so I can comfortably afford it. There will be people saying 'I don't owe a penny on my zed' and fair play to ya. I could do that too but I'd have to save for years to be able get into that position. I WANTED MY ZED NOW :yahoo:

Sarnie - this is a great summary and pretty much mirrors what ours is going to cost us although the fuel bill should only be about 150/month as it is not our daily driver!

Glen

My zed costs me:

£350 per month in petrol

£648 per year insurance

Sarnie - this is a great summary and pretty much mirrors what ours is going to cost us although the fuel bill should only be about 150/month as it is not our daily driver!

Glen

You only live once mate ;)

I could sell the zed be be pretty well off every month but how dull would that be :scare:

The minute the cost started to outweigh the enjoyment I'd sell up immediately :surrender:

You only live once mate ;)

I could sell the zed be be pretty well off every month but how dull would that be :scare:

The minute the cost started to outweigh the enjoyment I'd sell up immediately :surrender:

Good call but I am having enough problems avoiding speeding tickets in a Civic 2.2 CDTI doing 2000+ miles/month - I wouldn't have a hope in the Z :D

Glen

Good question.

Finance is £300 per month. (I used to pay £500 maintainance so its no big issue!! :scare: )

Fuel is £20 a week most weeks as I only live 5 miles from work.

Minor servicing I do myself and big stuff goes to a trusted mechanic friend with a great reputation (Mine is an import so no warranties to keep up) so no more than £150 a year unless something breaks.

As they say , "There are no pockets in coffins!"

If I was sensible I would run a £1500 BMW 3 series and service it myself. It would have reasonable performance, run for ever .... OH .... and bore me to tears.

I bought the Zed because it looks good, makes me feel good when I drive it and I am a flash git!! :teeth:

Ming the honest

Flash Git. Couldn't put it better myself! :teeth:

My mates all earn less than me but they go out and spend £100+ per WEEK on booze. I don't. Then they ask how I can afford the car I have as well as a house etc.

I think it might be the case with most people on here, easier on the booze and spend the money on a car! ;)

Flash Git. Couldn't put it better myself! :teeth:

My mates all earn less than me but they go out and spend £100+ per WEEK on booze. I don't. Then they ask how I can afford the car I have as well as a house etc.

I think it might be the case with most people on here, easier on the booze and spend the money on a car! ;)

Too true. You cant drive the car if you're out on the pop.... ;)

Completly valid question which I agree when I asked got the the "oh if you worry about petrol forget it" which is just stupid.

I have it as an only car, doing mostly local journerys (only 5 miles to work) with the occasional 100 mile weekend round trip. And a 500 round trip a couple times a year.

THe cost for me have been roughly

£450 insurance (27/7yrsNCB/Good Area)

£162 Service (£122 service + Oil)

£20 Wipers

£100 Brakes sometime later this year

Hopefully that will be it for this 12 months (only 3 months in).

Petrol has been £420 for just under 2000 miles with 23.3 MPG

I get around 18-20MPG doing down driving and 30MPG doing 80mph motorway driving

Hopefully that will help work out if you can afford it

Didnt you forget tyres? 5-700 quid dependending on brand loyalty?

This is a great thread as i am getting one in the new year!

And so far, it all seems doable.

I will do about 500miles a month so petrol is no issue, will have to pay finance but again thats all good.

Whoop making me happier knowing i can afford it now.

I have just sold my TVR Cerbera as running cost for the last 2 years were about £12000 :scare:

Only had the zed for a week now but is still heaps of fun and the best bit is I don't have to get a lift home from the AA :teeth:

Great car - seems very little maintenance need for a performance vehicle,

So laughing all the way to the bank.

The only thing that dissapointed me was that I have just discovered that I need 4 new tyres!

Thought the wheel bearing was gone but apparently this is normal road noise as the zed turns bridgestones into a 50 pence peice after about 15000 miles.

Has anyone else experienced this?

Am putting Toyo Proxes T1-r on £ 450 plus fitting Not too bad i suppose