best mod for money

showtime1

Good tyres, sharper suspension or uprated brakes. Maybe some driver training.

They are capable cars on the road so I'd look at making the most of what you have.

Thats a good point Stew, mine when lowered gives me a lot better road handling. :thumbs:

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Greekman the HR engine sounds a good lump for modifications. You're running two intakes for those too eh?

Don't fat tyres create more drag and require more power. Although the benefits are more grip?

If people want a track day i am sure it can be arranged. :)

We can make it a joint day with the other models and you can see some real embarrassment. :thumbs:

the other zeds (300's) are bonkers :scare:

would be a good laugh

too much competition causes accidents...

i really think the 18s suit the Zed better performance-wise. waiting for comments from track day enthusiasts.

ps this thread looks hijacked

Greekman the HR engine sounds a good lump for modifications. You're running two intakes for those too eh?

yes m8 2 intakes. its nothing unless you go FI. ok for small lotuses and stock m3s on the track but the zed is a heavy mofo.

i v been destroyed by 240Zs, 300SXs, old rusty gtrs and the lot on sheer acceleration.

+1 on martin

yes m8 2 intakes. its nothing unless you go FI. ok for small lotuses and stock m3s on the track but the zed is a heavy mofo.

i v been destroyed by 240Zs, 300SXs, old rusty gtrs and the lot on sheer acceleration.

+1 on martin

I agree the zed is flipping elephant. I've gone along the way losing weight whilst adding weight at the same time. I'd be interested in seeing what weight the car is now.

I also +1 to a track day it would be a good meet up and fairly safely test the zeds

im tempted to agree with you on track day tyres being on 18's and not overly wide. would be an interesting comparison.

Talking from experience as i v done track days on 18s and 050As and 19s with the same tyres. Mind you my 19s are twice as heavy as the rays.

+1 on martin

I agree the zed is flipping elephant. I've gone along the way losing weight whilst adding weight at the same time. I'd be interested in seeing what weight the car is now.

I also +1 to a track day it would be a good meet up and fairly safely test the zeds

Only way to save some serious weight is to get rid of the seats and go for some recaros or smth. everything else weighs less than a good meal really

The HR is good for about 500bhp on stock guts while the DE is good for about 420 or so. still talking about 12+k to be done properly.

Track day with novices and experienced drivers trying to prove a point no thanks.

Talking about seats...thats the best mod!!!

if you sell the old seats with airbags and the lots you may even make profit on the new seats and they will look better as well as saving you about 40kilos. On a 300bhp car that means 7.5bhp more....and you make a profit! plus better cornering and braking

if you sell the old seats with airbags and the lots you may even make profit on the new seats and they will look better as well as saving you about 40kilos. On a 300bhp car that means 7.5bhp more....and you make a profit! plus better cornering and braking

My Brides are light as hell B) Single exit exhaust also contributes a huge weight saving ;)

how much are the old seats worth?????? leather GT one's that is?

how much are the old seats worth?????? leather GT one's that is?

I sold my Alezan seats for £450

GT4, l think you have ¤issed the point some what. I like to see what price you think you can fit a S/C kit properly for? you can fit a new complete Vortech V3 kit bolt-on DIY for £4-5k and cheaper if you go preowned route :p I reckon Wasso car has cost him ~£4k sofar, unless i'm much mistaken. But the argument is VFM (in this case performance vs costs) not a comparison of both kits. I appreciate his efforts and i know he is very satisfied with the results

Wasoo cars is an Revup car which do not give the returns we are now seeing from

DE engines as of late but maybe Wasso will fit a Motordyne lower collector at a later date to release alittle more mid range torque. I aggree but so does his cost go up and the VFM scale go down. Same can be said of an SC if you go the route of running more boost.

The D1 throttle controller is a waste of money IF your going to remap. Yes and no. You still have throttle lag despite an Uprev reflash thoug you get 100% throotle opening but the other facet of the D1 is to downgrade the throttle response and give you good economy or safety in conditions of low grip which can only be a good thing.

NOS is a good mod you only use it when you want to where as a S/C car you always have boost you can't even turn the boost down. Not true! Novidem has a switch to engage/disengage sc operation on the go. You can take off the belt on the Vortech too though more impractical ;)

The best mod I feel is the remap it doesn't give you masses of BHP/TORQUE but tidies the car up most people say the cars are just "better"

I agree that if you want to spend about circa £500 it is very good and have always supported this point. I went the Utec route because you were not setup for uprev at the time and if so i would have done it too because of the added benefit of altering rev or speed limit but the Utec has is advantages.......switchable maps which has been handy for MOT as my optimum maps fails emission values :scare:

But I disaggree with the uprev being the "best" mod because this is relative and to compare we need to consider price, satisfaction, objectives, performance etc which not easy either.

After that has been done ( normally people fit a plenum spacer before a remap) I would think maybe a set of uprated roll bars tightens the ride up without making the car uncomfortable.

I would agree the zed suffers with excessive roll but the ARB alone will not address this issue which is more related to the OEM spring rates and ride hieght. Lowering the COG with uprated Eibach springs will cost about the same and more effective in reducing wallow and dive. ciolovers are better. After having upgraded my whole suspension setup step by step, i think its only worth fiddling with it if you need to and are going all the way because each part impacts on the other invariably requiring upgrades to work well together

Personally if i was to start all over again bearing in mind that i track the car and have had so much fun doing so and developing the car towards this goal, i would go again for:

- coilovers

- adjustable ARBs and droplinks

- BBK with race pads

- go for lightweight 18"Rays with R tyres as my wider 19" wheels though giving more grip are slightly heavier and tyres for this sizes cost much more.

- reduce weight were possible eg seats

- and finally just get a plain remap with no HFC, Plenum mods, exhaust etc

All these (HFC, Plenum spacer, MREVs, or ypipe, 3" exhaust etc) made little difference at the end of the day :surrender:

If i was never going to track the car then the D1 controller (or Uprev), eibach spacers and uprated pads would have been my limit and the rest spent on cosmetic changes.

All these (HFC, Plenum spacer, MREVs, or ypipe, 3" exhaust etc) made little difference at the end of the day

I am afraid they do , Steve (Mr Lizard) race car came alive when we fitted the Mrev, Gamma exhaust system , Resonated De-cats and a reflash made a huge difference in torque and bhp.

switchable maps which has been handy for MOT as my optimum maps fails emission values

Really even at idle/low rpm what do you need to bother tweaking the map or does the UTEC cancel the closed loop aprt of the stock map. With you year car you can have multi maps on the cruise control switch so you can have economy maps , valet maps , unleaded maps with out any extra switches and wiring. I can even supply a modded ECU so the DE boys can have multi maps on the cruise switch.

Novidem has a switch to engage/disengage sc operation on the go. You can take off the belt on the Vortech too though more impractical

But the Novidem isn't cheap like the Vortech kit(espec when S/H) , which I am afraid isn't in the same league at the HKS S/C kit with refinement, power delivery. Have you driven a S/C when the belt is removed your finded the charger is restrictive when it is sucked throu.