best mod for money

showtime1

GT4, l think you have ¤issed the point some what. I like to see what price you think you can fit a S/C kit properly for? Wasoo cars is an Revup car which do not give the returns we are now seeing from

DE engines as of late but maybe Wasso will fit a Motordyne lower collector at a later date to release alittle more mid range torque.

The D1 throttle controller is a waste of money IF your going to remap.

NOS is a good mod you only use it when you want to where as a S/C car you always have boost you can't even turn the boost down.

The best mod I feel is the remap it doesn't give you masses of BHP/TORQUE but tidies the car up most people say the cars are just "better"

After that has been done ( normally people fit a plenum spacer before a remap) I would think maybe a set of uprated roll bars tightens the ride up without making the car uncomfortable.

Just to confirm I will be going for the lower collector in the future, as when ordering my plenum spacer from Chilli they weren't in stock and would take some time to order, so it's on the back burner for now.

Going back to the original question posted - "im looking for a bit more hp, if you could only have one performance mod what would it be. best value for money"

I still strongly believe that NOS pound for HP and Torque is a good mod. A SC or Turbo is of course the next step.

Although if you don't have a re-map the D1 Controller sounds spot on - good review.

If you fancy the re-map as mentioned this does make the car respond very nicely.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

All these (HFC, Plenum spacer, MREVs, or ypipe, 3" exhaust etc) made little difference at the end of the day

I am afraid they do , Steve (Mr Lizard) race car came alive when we fitted the Mrev, Gamma exhaust system , Resonated De-cats and a reflash made a huge difference in torque and bhp.

This is true, the pickup when you put your foot on the loud pedal is in another league, we have knocked between 3 - 6 seconds a lap off at mallory and its only 1 minute a lap there... the torq through 2nd and 3rd gear is unreal, coming out of the hairpin in 2nd is excellent fun and i can now short shift into 3rd without losing all the momentum... RevUp :teeth:

Look in the other thread at the package thing... obviously im going to be biased but thats because im driving it and know the difference :thumbs:

did someone mention trackday?

And Greekman, you can lose a lot of weight out of the zed (apart from the biscuit loving driver) but they are a heavy car to start with so there does come a point where it gets difficult B)

All these (HFC, Plenum spacer, MREVs, or ypipe, 3" exhaust etc) made little difference at the end of the day

I am afraid they do , Steve (Mr Lizard) race car came alive when we fitted the Mrev, Gamma exhaust system , Resonated De-cats and a reflash made a huge difference in torque and bhp.

What i meant was the differences were small and poor bang for box. Eg i took of the HFC and MREV2 and remapped the car and the was only a 6HP loss and 12lbft torque :scare: I sold these items and My HKS RS coilovers and bought KW V3 coilies which further transformed the car which still brings us to the original argument. What is the Best VFM mod? It is relative and certainly if you want to get every drop of perfomance from the zed then you need to put everything in, but do the extra few miserly ponies/torque represent VFM? It would in Mr lizards case as he is in competitive racing but does this aply to Joe bloggs? I think not, unless if that's what Joe Bloggs wants and that a different argument. But the OP's post was about VFM not what can be done to get the most power in a zed as the possiblities are endless.

switchable maps which has been handy for MOT as my optimum map fails emission values

Really even at idle/low rpm what do you need to bother tweaking the map or does the UTEC cancel the closed loop aprt of the stock map. With you year car you can have multi maps on the cruise control switch so you can have economy maps , valet maps , unleaded maps with out any extra switches and wiring. I can even supply a modded ECU so the DE boys can have multi maps on the cruise switch.

I am aware you can do this with Uprev now Mark and I agree its worth it, so not sure what you mean.

My maps are just progesively tunes with different combinations of mods i had (the usual suspects minus headers). We swapped so many combos eg OEM intake with AEM intake, K1 with bungs on and off etc and the Map 4 is the best combo -full fat. This gave almost 20HP more than the rest and but the biggest difference seem to come from running the K1 with bungs! Bungs on is best. The MREV to gave torque gains the middle but little change in peak torque.

I was disappointed about my gains from the these hence why i got rid of this and HFC. When i when for MOT it was on map 4 and it failed the emissions so i just switched to OEM map. How it works i dont know, i just drive the nuts off it :teeth:

Novidem has a switch to engage/disengage sc operation on the go. You can take off the belt on the Vortech too though more impractical

But the Novidem isn't cheap like the Vortech kit(espec when S/H) , which I am afraid isn't in the same league at the HKS S/C kit with refinement, power delivery. Have you driven a S/C when the belt is removed your finded the charger is restrictive when it is sucked throu.

Yes i am aware it will be restrictive and agree its not a practical solution.

but VFM the Novidem is £58/WHPgained and 75 shot NOS is £80/WHP gained is if you assume they cost £7000 and £4000 respectively (it will still come in at £61/WHP gained if it cost £3000 to install ;) ) This calculation is based on a zed with 260WHP which is a good average with most mods and Uprev reflash ;) .

Similarly a new bolt-on standard Vortech V3 kit is about £5k installed therefore VFM is £50/WHP. It may not be "refined" as the HKS but thats was not the point of the argument and it is debatable ;)

At the end of the day i know where you are comming from Mark and you/abbey are among the best there is and would not hesitate to follow you advice but tuners are interested in what is the most performance they can achieve and may not always be the best VFM route for the client

Greekman, you can lose a lot of weight out of the zed (apart from the biscuit loving driver) but they are a heavy car to start with so there does come a point where it gets difficult B)

A lot of weight like 200kgr??? Because rims apart (rays are perfectly light) i cant see how you can get the coupe below 1500kgr. Thing is you still want a car drivable every day. you need the air con and the stereo. oh and the door panels. Then add roll bars, thicker sway bars, heavier brakes, bracings, even the adjustable a-arms are heavier than the stock ones. grrrrrr

Greekman, you can lose a lot of weight out of the zed (apart from the biscuit loving driver) but they are a heavy car to start with so there does come a point where it gets difficult B)

A lot of weight like 200kgr??? Because rims apart (rays are perfectly light) i cant see how you can get the coupe below 1500kgr. Thing is you still want a car drivable every day. you need the air con and the stereo. oh and the door panels. Then add roll bars, thicker sway bars, heavier brakes, bracings, even the adjustable a-arms are heavier than the stock ones. grrrrrr

Racing buckets, removing spare wheels, thicker carpets, swapping body panels, doors, boot and bonnet for carbon items, 17" lightweight wheels would get you close that figure but thats about the limit and it costs shed loads unless you want to go balls out and strip the car like a race car etc :surrender: Running with just enough fuel required on track also it makes a noticeable difference :)

However unsprung weight is the killer and the relation is a factor of 4-6. 1kgs removed is equal to 4-6kgs of static weight ;) So lighter brakes, tyres/wheels should be targeted more.

Get rid of those Dotz :lol:

wasso, both driver/passenger windows are plastic, as well as the boot window (lexan), boot/doors carbon fibre, seat weighs just under 5kg carbon, not much in the way of creature comforts in there.

im hoping to put a cup holder in that will allow me to keep choccy hobnobs at standby... i was hoping to get one of the tubes into the helmet that could keep a steady supply of biscuits going but apparently they only work with liquids, gpr thought i was a bit odd when i asked that at autosport :(

not a silly amount 500 quid or so apart from remap what would people have done

mmm biscuits :snack:

im looking for a bit more hp, if you could only have one performance mod what would it be. best value for money

How much are you looking to spend mate?

If the re-map is already done you really are only looking at minimal HP - I'd probably either go cosmetic or plenum spacer - great mod. And depending on your vehicle the lower plenum collector as recommended by Mark @ Abbey.

Other than that, you won't get a great deal of improvement for £500. If only it was that easy.

If you increased your budget a little NOS could be within your reach. I paid for the full package and started with a 25hp shot. For £12 I upgraded to 75hp jets. Simple upgrade once the outlay is made. Only problem being is there will be costs for Dyno setup, as well as costs to install unless you are a tad happy with a spanner and fancy doing the work yourself.

I chose not to as I don't like tampering with fuel lines etc!!

Good luck!

panel filter and resonated decats, maybe a new pumpkin

Something I plan to check out in future...how do you find the alternative final drive?

I'm also going to look into the Final Drive also - although next year as I've spent too much money this year.

I've been informed by a number of resources the Final Drive is a great mod for acceleration, although take into account your top speed will reduce!!

panel filter and resonated decats, maybe a new pumpkin

Something I plan to check out in future...how do you find the alternative final drive?

I'm also going to look into the Final Drive also - although next year as I've spent too much money this year.

I've been informed by a number of resources the Final Drive is a great mod for acceleration, although take into account your top speed will reduce!!

the legal top speed of 70 mph?

its an awesome mod and gutted i didnt do it when i had the nismo lsd fitted....but working on it...trying to make up my mind as its 2 set ups you can go for...and tbh as long as i can go flat out to 140mph thats fine. also the HR does 155mph on 5th and the rev limiter. on 6th 165mph for the roadster and it had about 500rpm or so to go...(couldnt exactly keep an eye on the road and pin point the rev needle whilst my amuse diffuser was literally falling off)...that means you have got plenty of top speed to sacrifice

i ve heard that you can loose hp with the plenium spacer, at the moment ive got a k&n filter just bought gt airbox and throttle body spacer going to get it mapped again to see if there is any improvements..

If the re-map is already done you really are only looking at minimal HP - I'd probably either go cosmetic or plenum spacer - great mod. And depending on your vehicle the lower plenum collector as recommended by Mark @ Abbey.

Other than that, you won't get a great deal of improvement for £500. If only it was that easy.

If you increased your budget a little NOS could be within your reach. I paid for the full package and started with a 25hp shot. For £12 I upgraded to 75hp jets. Simple upgrade once the outlay is made. Only problem being is there will be costs for Dyno setup, as well as costs to install unless you are a tad happy with a spanner and fancy doing the work yourself.

I chose not to as I don't like tampering with fuel lines etc!!

Good luck!

There is no way you will lose HP with a plenum spacer. Search the forum for the various comments. The front two cylinders are restricted of air and as such the plenum spacer will increase the amount of airflow.

There is no way you will lose HP with a plenum spacer. Search the forum for the various comments. The front two cylinders are restricted of air and as such the plenum spacer will increase the amount of airflow.

+1

also its been said its the only mod that wont be canceled by the ecu

remap will bring the car alive

add in any mods with it you want for extra noise/bhp before hand if you want to.

and then spend your cash on driver training, will make the most out of the car. most people don't use most of the cars potential and think the answer is more power. learn to drive it properly and you could shave seconds off lap times; more than most power mod. and you'll have great fun learning it all at the same time.

for out and out gains FI is the only way forward Most NA mods will be more for noise than for go. they'll make a slight difference but you'll spend thousands for very little oomph.

the remap will bring out the biggest change in feel for the least amount of cash. go see abbey they know what they're talking about and they tune not just lizards track car but many others as well. they know more about car and track setups for cars than any average joe weekend track warrior and won't disappoint.