Bikes - The "awesome" kind with no engines

AK350Z

• Replies 249
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What shoes did you get?

Sometimes its good to get cheap clipless pedals in case you don't get on with them, like me! I use mine occasionally, but still stick with flatties for the rough stuff. If its your first time, bear in mind you WILL fall over at some point, I don't know anyone who didn't. Just try not to do it at some traffic lights! If you back the tension right off, its usually possible to pull your foot right out vertically, as you would instinctivly try to do if you are about to go over :lol::headhurt:

Good luck :teeth:

I got Shimano MT33 SPD Leisure Shoes. They are comfy and they do the job well.

Fitted the pedals today, and they have transformed my bike making it much more easily to pick up speed, and go up inclines.

Yep, good weekend this time Ash, my arse is glad of a day off today though! :blush::lol: The joys of hardtail riding. I must have done 40 odd miles, and several thousand feet ascent!

I think its about 500m Immy, But its quite a sheer drop down to the lake. Found this pic:

13.JPG

PLACE_PAGES%5CENNERDALE%5CMAP.jpg

Decsent line down to the right on the photo, heading into the gully and then the woods above Crag Farm.

Full sus dont help me keep up with you though :surrender:

Damn living in a flat area of the country. I have found like 2 inclines around here that are equal gradient to what we do in the Lakes, the problem is they are about 20m long. Have to do some hardcore interval training on them before May if I am to try and keep up this time :lol:

It's ok, at the moment I haven't been given the leave for easter, so the best I can manage is saturday morning. So it'll be a small ride, and then lunch before i have to run up to Inverness! I assume you will be spending all friday travelling?

Very nice Andrew - I know you just drove up there and parked up - had a sticky bun and cuppa then took a picture -your not fooling anybody! :lol:

Sssshhhhh! :shutup:

I can confirm he does ride his bike up there - f'in mountain goat he is :lol:

Nice 8 Justin, have you upgraded the stop and go stuff on it?

cheers,updated all with 2010 stuff,managed to get it to weigh in at 33lbs,which aint bad for a 7"+ full sprung bike,took it afan forest couple of wk back does good on the climbs,then you can absolute nail it on the downs;-)

Just got back into biking after quite a few years off and fell back in love with it straight away :blush: had a good run last night around 16miles through the middle off Sheffield and out into the peak.

One problem, my bike :lol: It's getting on abit now it's an old Marin wildcat trail (I'll get some pics posted up soon) which is not really up to the task anymore. Been looking for a new bike but can't really afford to spend over a grand ATM so it's obviously got to be a second hand one. Do really like marins so be nice to stay with them but open to ideas so if any off you guys come across a decent bike on eBay, mtb forums etc a heads up would be good, wanting a full suspension to

Found these two for sale be good to know what you guys think with being out the loop for quite a few years I'm not up to speed yet on the new shimano, SRAM, etc components and the new fox range etc :thumbs:

http://wap.ebay.co.uk/Pages/ViewItem.as ... on&emvcc=0

http://wap.ebay.co.uk/Pages/ViewItem.as ... il&emvcc=0

Wow blast from the past! Thats a pretty good retro bike you have there :teeth: I think you should be looking at a 1k budget to get something good to replace it if you want full sus and second hand tbh. It will feel much better and less bobby. Dont be put off by going for something with SLX or even Deore compared to your XT as things have moved on a lot in recent years ;)

Shimano is still Deore < SLX (replace LX) < XT < XTR

Sram is X5 < X7 < X9 < X0 < XX

Strangely XTR falls between X0 and XX, X9 is about the same as XT, X7 about the same as SLX I think.

Those two you posted are for the WAP eBay and show up really small. Also dont know much about current Marins :blush:

I think the pics of our bikes are in this thread ;) I have a Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Comp (say that when you're drunk!). But I've changed the wheels, bar, rear mech, and probably a few other things already :lol: