Bikes - The "awesome" kind with no engines

AK350Z

• Replies 249
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great news Andrew, can't wait to get out on my bike this weekend to!

Just waiting on a few little new little shiny bits from hope :teeth:

[yorkshire] Ay up lad, thats proper champion that is! [/yorkshire] *ahem* :blush: Sorry about that, all this sunshine's gone t' me head!

Hope bits hey? hmm, let me guess.... Seat clamp and maybe headset? Don't think that Marin was wanting for much was it?

Don't forget the pics!

No not much, but I'm never happy always have to change bits (like with the zed)!!

Half right Andrew :lol: quick release seat clamp and a rear skewer wanted a front one to but iv got a 15mm through bolt and the local bike shop says I can't swap that :thumbdown:

Headset would be nice but bit pricey when mines fine, might treat myself to some new Tyres any recommendations ? Don't know wheather to go to 2.3 or stay with the 2.1's

Managed to get my Norco out for the first time in ages, posted a few pages back about leaky brakes. Took it to the local bike shop and got it fixed for £7.50 :) some truely amazing trails around here, just toying with the idea of selling for a slightly lighter bike though.

You can get lovely light pretty big travel bikes these days Geoff. Look into "trail" bikes, they will have more than enough suspension for the UK and also be light enough to hike up the hills too. Very jealous you are close to some cracking natural and man made trails ;)

Headset would be nice but bit pricey when mines fine, might treat myself to some new Tyres any recommendations ? Don't know wheather to go to 2.3 or stay with the 2.1's

Maxxis all the way for me. Get some single ply super tacky (42a) High Rollers 2.35" http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=5845.

Might be quite pricey (depending on what you are used to), but it's just like your car, quality rides and grips better. If you do a lot of road/hardpack miles, maybe get the 60a ones - a bit harder but faster rolling. I use the super tacky Minions in the winter round here, but its generally quite rocky and slippy.

I'm a bit of a MTB tyre geek though, I've got different combos for summer and winter :lol: Might need to swap again for these bone dry trails!

What's the difference then Andrew as they look exactly the same the 42 and 60? Which would you say is the best all rounder to save changing Tyres if the weather changes

I think Amanda and I need some better tyres. The stock Spesh ones are very fast rolling, but not the grippiest of things. Fine down here for dry mud trails, but murder in the Lakes on wet mud and rock :headhurt:

Had a great ride out around Swinley last night, only did 7 miles but was more a social ride anyway. Was a bit dusty in the dry though, especially when it got dark, was like riding in a sand storm!

What shoes did you get?

Sometimes its good to get cheap clipless pedals in case you don't get on with them, like me! I use mine occasionally, but still stick with flatties for the rough stuff. If its your first time, bear in mind you WILL fall over at some point, I don't know anyone who didn't. Just try not to do it at some traffic lights! If you back the tension right off, its usually possible to pull your foot right out vertically, as you would instinctivly try to do if you are about to go over :lol::headhurt:

Good luck :teeth:

Fell off my bike at a set of traffic nights in the middle of the town centre a few nights back, and it was comical. Unclipped my right foot, and my brain told me to stand on my left leg... It is all history from there. :lol::lol::lol::blush:

Fell off my bike at a set of traffic nights in the middle of the town centre a few nights back, and it was comical. Unclipped my right foot, and my brain told me to stand on my left leg... It is all history from there. :lol::lol::lol::blush:

Happens to the best of us!

Anyone tried out compression tights/tops? Though I would give them a go as my recent road riding a few times a week coupled with going out with Amandas lot from work once a week has taken its toll on my legs. Found some for a good price so got them. Just wondering if they work? Seem to from the reviews :shrug:

Well I sat in all day waiting for the parcel man. He showed up at 3.45pm! :thumbdown: At least he had a new frame with him! After signing on the line, I was straight off to Keswick to see a nice man in a bike shop who faced of the bottom bracket for me.

Stripped the old frame while pottering about this morning, and I've got most of it back on this evening.

IMAG0373.jpg

IMAG0376.jpg

IMAG0377.jpg

Note new purple grips! :lol:

Anyone tried out compression tights/tops? Though I would give them a go as my recent road riding a few times a week coupled with going out with Amandas lot from work once a week has taken its toll on my legs. Found some for a good price so got them. Just wondering if they work? Seem to from the reviews :shrug:

Not yet. But a few of my friends have, and thought they were good. Coming into winter here now, so might be worth a try, to help keep warm as much as keeping the muscles warm and doing what they should. :thumbs:

Good work Andrew! Need to get her run in before we arrive, only a week to go :teeth:

Not yet. But a few of my friends have, and thought they were good. Coming into winter here now, so might be worth a try, to help keep warm as much as keeping the muscles warm and doing what they should. :thumbs:

Nice to know Immy, I'll let you know how I get on with them. Amanda thought they were hillarious :lol:

(James - yes they are braided, its a Hope option)

Good work Andrew! Need to get her run in before we arrive, only a week to go :teeth:

Woooohhhhhhoooo there! A week to go? I thought it was easter weekend you were coming up? :doh:

Edit: Just checked my pm's, looks like i've crossed my wires with all these bank holidays! :angry: I'm heading off this saturday for my 10 on, so i'll be away mate. Bloody hell.....

Edit 2: Ok, now i've calmed down a bit with myself! (I have previous form in this area). I'm going away on saturday, but i'm only doing 9 days soooo, I will be coming back home on tuesday 3rd may, so that should be ok eh? In fact, if the monday is weathered off, I'll be back then.

Whats your dates Chris? sorry for my confusion!

I'm sure after a gentle day at Whinlatter, you'll be ready for a nice proper evening ride ;)

Anyways, off up to the 7stanes tomorrow with Phil. Going to Mabie in the morning, and maybe Ae afterwards, but we shall see.

Gave them both a good clean today, bringing one into the fold and letting one go ......

Up into the peak Sunday morning round hope valley and ladybower for some proper riding to test the new bike out

The new versus the old

07128203.jpg

c1b39165.jpg

33a0f9d8.jpg

Then gave the zed a wash, been spending to much time with the bikes :lol: and neglecting the zed

c6522835.jpg

Did about 20miles yesterday on it and had really bad back ache last night and today think it's because it's a large and I'm having to stretch further forward but its got a 110mm stem on so looking at swapping it for a 50mm one or maybe 70mm can't make my mind up but liking the look off this one

2201ef6b.jpg

70mm would be a good start. I wouldnt go from 110mm to 50mm unless you have had short stems before, its a big jump and will make the handling much twitchier. Does it come with 110 as standard? That sounds quite long for a modern bike. Maybe the previous owner put a longer stem on?