Bikes - The "awesome" kind with no engines

AK350Z

Seems like there's a fair few knowledgable people around here with regards to bikes.

I have a problem with mine, it's a Norco A Line and the right handle (front brake) seems to have lost all of it's fluid, the rear brakes works fine, they're Hayes Nine, any ideas?

• Replies 249
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Could be any number of things Geoff. Can you see the fluid leaking out at the lever or at the calliper on the front forks? Most likely a seal has gone in which case its best to get it down to your local bike shop really unless you know your way around and are happy tinkering.

It came out of the lever and not the caliper mate. I'm more than happy to tinker but due to my ever increasing laziness when it comes to getting my hands dirty I may just take it to the local bike shop. I have a feeling it may be a seal as a mate recommended, it seemed to go after a fair few months sitting about and taking it for a ride.

Do you have it hanging up when not in use? I lost some fluid from my front that way. Could be a perished seal also, if you are a bit unpaticular about washing (like me) salt and dirt can make the seals go faster. If you go back a page or two, you'll see I got mine re-bled for a few quid.

I don't hang it up, I know it's the proper thing to do but it's just sat in the conservatory. To be honest from what you describe it sounds like a perished seal. I'm going to have to get it in the car and down to the local bike shop to get it sorted out. I need to sort it as I want to sell it and buy a less full on bike.

Does it make any kind of squelchy noises and have you ever bled them? If its not a seal then they could be overfilled with with brake fluid. More than likely a seal though which means they'll need to be stripped and new seals fitted which is a job for the LBS :thumbs:

Unfortunately I've had to admit that mountains down here are limited and our local "bridleways" have been fooked over by 4x4s so they are quite literally unpassable to most bikes and horses :thumbdown: So bit the bullet and got a Spesh Tricross off eBay as we are on the outskirts of town so plenty of country lanes to hack down. Its a good workout to keep me fit for when we venture up to the real hills :thumbs:

I finally got round to having another go on a bike today. The plan was to head along a local canal and do around 10 miles or so, I ended up finding a cycle route and when I got back I was surprised to find I'd covered 14.5 miles. I was pleasantly surprised by how much I enjoyed it, I think the perfect weather helped somewhat, clear skies, warm and no wind.

My bike hadn't turned a wheel in around 7 years, the chain is very rusty, it makes some dodgy noises and if you pedal really hard the chain starts skipping on the sprocket but it was nice getting on a bike more suited to more height. I reckon it won't be long till I head out again and next time I'm going to stretch the route a bit.

P250311_1518.jpg

:clap: Nice one mate, good to see others straying in here ;)

I squeezed in another local one yesterday afternoon, different route though. Hauled up to the top of Dent fell, but views were rather hazy.

IMAG0242.jpg

IMAG0241.jpg

IMAG0239.jpg

IMAG0243.jpg

Cracking pics AK350Z! :teeth: I can't wait until the better weather comes in and I can take my bike up North.

Here is a few photos of my Boardman MTB Comp I took in the dark tonight. :lol:

IMAG0261.jpg

IMAG0263.jpg

IMAG0264.jpg

IMAG0266.jpg

Notice a few wee bits of carbon fibre.. nothing special. :)

I bought it a few months ago, and have done over 350 miles on it just using it as my daily commuter to work, and a round the local park. What an excellent bike it is for the money. :)

Took my Continental Speed King's off tonight, and replaced them with Continental Ultra Gatorskin tyres. The difference in speed on the road is fantastic, I just need to be careful and bed them in so I don't fall on my bum.

My next purchase is definately Shimano pedals and shoes.

Good pics folks, Is this all the fair weather riders checking in? :lol: Just joking!

Nice 8 Justin, have you upgraded the stop and go stuff on it?

If anyone is looking for a bike al la cycle to work, Halfords are really upping their game this year:

Triple butted aluminium alloy frame has got nice looking flattened welds everywhere and uses a four bar linkage at the back to give 130mm travel. Up front there are Rock Shox Sektor forks with rebound and lockout adjustment as well as 15mm Maxle. There’s a SRAM X7 2×10 drivetrain with a FSA crank up front and (new 2012) Elixir 3 brakes.

IMG_9435-640x426.jpg

FOR A GRAND!!!

What pedals and shoes would you guys recommend? I'm looking at Shimano SPD M540... any good?

Depending on how much you ride, the M520 will suffice and a lot cheaper ;) Cant go wrong with M540 either though. Have you ridden clipless before? If not make sure you wind the tension right back (instructions inc with pedals) and practice A LOT before ridding properly on them. You need to build muscle memory so your feet unclip before you even realise you need to :thumbs:

My brother has the M520's on his Boardman and he said they do the job. I'll take onboard what you have said as I have never rode clipless before, I don't fancy falling face first onto tarmac. :lol:

I'm looking to use my bike mainly on the road for commuting, and i'll take it offroad down the local park on the off chance we have a pleasant day up in Scotland.

Seen the M520's for £20 posted, which seems a great price.

What shoes did you get?

Sometimes its good to get cheap clipless pedals in case you don't get on with them, like me! I use mine occasionally, but still stick with flatties for the rough stuff. If its your first time, bear in mind you WILL fall over at some point, I don't know anyone who didn't. Just try not to do it at some traffic lights! If you back the tension right off, its usually possible to pull your foot right out vertically, as you would instinctivly try to do if you are about to go over :lol::headhurt:

Good luck :teeth:

I headed out again today, got 8 miles from home when I noticed the rear tyre seemed a bit flat, got off to check, pulled a twig/thorn out of the front tyre too and watched as both tyres went completely flat :bang:

I didn't have a pump, puncture repair kit or a spare inner tube with me so it meant I had a long walk home. 2 hours and 8 miles later I made it back home, a bit annoying really!

Black, bumpy ones... I'm new to all this bike stuff so I haven't paid any attention to what's on my bike. Guess I'll be finding out soon though when I go to buy a spare inner tube and a repair kit, at the moment I don't even know what size the wheels are.

Black, bumpy ones... I'm new to all this bike stuff so I haven't paid any attention to what's on my bike. Guess I'll be finding out soon though when I go to buy a spare inner tube and a repair kit, at the moment I don't even know what size the wheels are.

I will hazard a guess and say 26" by 2.1 :thumbs:

Double dose today! Met up with some old riding buddies to do the Borrowdale Bash this morning, and then met up with Fran and another lad at Whinlatter in the afternoon. Sadly my phone was flat by then, so only got pics of the Bash.

IMAG0266.jpg

IMAG0260.jpg

IMAG0259.jpg

IMAG0262.jpg

IMAG0261.jpg

IMAG0264.jpg