Bikes - The "awesome" kind with no engines

AK350Z

This thread reminds me. Does anyone want to buy a pretty good spec'd bike with minimum use, I have a Norco A-Line, cost me 2k new!

Bit too much bike for me mate. Don't know if many other people read this thread except me and Chris! :lol:

• Replies 249
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What to do when a good day presents itself, and you realise that your bike is in bits and your rear brake is kaput? You go get a hire bike for the day!

To be honest i was expecting Biketreks in Ambleside to have something a bit better in, but this is the off-season, so all they had was a couple of boggo £400+ hardails to choose from.

So ladies and gentlemen, I give you; the Scott Aspect 40!

IMAG0147.jpg

You know what? It was ok! Evidently the hire buisness is a bit slack off season, so this was brand new. The spec, er, "highlights" included cable disks, 3x8 speed shimano basic Acera transmission, and round wheels... :lol:

Strangely, the disks were riveted on to the hubs, first time I've ever seen that:

IMAG0150.jpg

So I set off on the classic Loughrigg and Iron Keld loop from Ambleside, Chris I and Amanda will know it well ;) . The weather brightened up, and the bike was going well. Very well infact. One of the only "problems" during the day was that walkers just did not hear me coming up behind them. Despite the apparently basic transmission, the bike was virtually silent! No cable banging, no clicking transmission, nothing. Good job it came with a bell! :blush:

IMAG0160.jpg

Halfway point refreshment :D

IMAG0155.jpg

Out on the trail, I certainly didn't feel like I was slumming it for the day, the modern graphics (with added anti-rub tape) and co-ordinated forks look the part, even if the Suntour forks are very basic, and effectively make the bike into a fully rigid with a couple of centimetres of bump adsorption at the front. In fact, loose the straight-outta-school reflectors and I doubt any average joe wouldn't belive you didn't payed twice as much for it.

Sure, the tires were more on-road zip than cross country grip, and the head angle is a bit steeper than what I'm used to, but that's good, as it stops you taking liberties that could get you into trouble.

IMAG0148.jpg

With the addition of my clipless pedals to give it (and me) some much needed climbing ability I had a great laugh, and spent a beautiful day in the hills with some good weather. All for paying £20 hire and some diesel. Priceless is the term I think.

IMAG0156.jpg

Just goes to show how much things have moved on in mountain biking in the last 10 years, this Scott would wee over anything I had at that time. It really hammered home that you don't need to spend 5 grand on a bike to have fun. Just get out and ride.

IMAG0153.jpg

IMAG0154.jpg

If anyone wanted to get a bike for their kid, or were starting out, I would definitely recommend it. upgrade it later with some decent second hand forks and better tyres and you'd be sorted.

IMAG0157.jpg

Good work bud. You are a sod to be able to just jump on a hire bike and go ride stuff like that :p

Oh and arent those discs centre-lock? You undo the lockring (much like on a cassette) and it will come off. Doubt its rivited to the hub :bangin:

Good work bud. You are a sod to be able to just jump on a hire bike and go ride stuff like that :p

Oh and arent those discs centre-lock? You undo the lockring (much like on a cassette) and it will come off. Doubt its rivited to the hub :bangin:

Quite possibly mate, I didn't look too closely at it. I just thought it was some crazy cost saving thing!

Picked up the trusty steed from KMB today after getting the rear brake bled and went to Whinlatter for some more exercise! Just the North Loop and the bottom half of the South Loop.

Weather was a bit damp, but not that cold.

IMAG0161.jpg

Haven't got a kit for my Hopes yet, this is the first attention they've needed since new 3 years ago! Plus it was only £15, so I hardly feel robbed.

It's like the feeling I got returning the hire bike the other day, it was worth a fiver just to have someone else clean it ;)

Haven't got a kit for my Hopes yet, this is the first attention they've needed since new 3 years ago! Plus it was only £15, so I hardly feel robbed.

Tsk tsk Andrew, DOT5.1 should be replaced every couple of years at the least, haven't we taught you anything :lol: Only my Avids, I tend to find a bleed once an year keeps them nice and responsive. If you boil the fluid at any point, that would mean you need to change it sooner too, and I know some of the decents you have in the Lakes :drive1

But yeah, 15 quid seems a good deal. Down here you'd be looking at 50 quid which is why I got the bleed kit straight away for mine. Also as Amanda has Avids too I can do both bike together and not waste much fluid once a carton is opened.

I'll probably get the kit soon, then do the front and see if its lost any power. Certainly still feels good anyway.

Dont know if i've posted this before, but it's one of the best MTB videos ever. Short, sweet, and definitely makes you want to ride.

I had a go at mountain biking today for the first time ever, went to Cannock Chase with some friends and did The Monkey Trail. I found it very hard work, I've not cycled at all in about 7 years and I was on a borrowed bike that was too small and had some very dodgy V-brakes.

At the end the other guys (all a lot more experienced) said that maybe it wasn't the best place for a complete novice. I can't say I enjoyed some of it but a couple of the big, more open, downhill stretches near the end were good. Managed to crash twice, the first was fine, the second ended up with my leg trapped in the bike and my right shin is now twice the size it was this morning. I can see myself getting into it though but I need some practice somewhere a bit easier and some better kit too.

Don't think I'll be able to sit down for a week...

I had a go at mountain biking today for the first time ever, went to Cannock Chase with some friends and did The Monkey Trail. I found it very hard work, I've not cycled at all in about 7 years and I was on a borrowed bike that was too small and had some very dodgy V-brakes.

At the end the other guys (all a lot more experienced) said that maybe it wasn't the best place for a complete novice. I can't say I enjoyed some of it but a couple of the big, more open, downhill stretches near the end were good. Managed to crash twice, the first was fine, the second ended up with my leg trapped in the bike and my right shin is now twice the size it was this morning. I can see myself getting into it though but I need some practice somewhere a bit easier and some better kit too.

Don't think I'll be able to sit down for a week...

Well done mate, a couple more trips and the old arse gets hardened to it! :blush: The right size bike can make a big difference though.

If you fancy a bike, get a good second hand one, lots of cash to be saved and some can be near new anyway! I like: http://www.singletrackworld.com/forum/forum/classifieds

Well done mate, a couple more trips and the old arse gets hardened to it! :blush: The right size bike can make a big difference though.

If you fancy a bike, get a good second hand one, lots of cash to be saved and some can be near new anyway! I like: http://www.singletrackworld.com/forum/forum/classifieds

I'm going to try some easier stuff now, get used to cycling again and check I actually want to continue doing it then I'll look into getting a bike. Cheers for the link, I currently know next to nothing about bikes but the guys I went with know a fair bit so I'll be hassling them for tips when/if I decide to buy one.

You'll get into it in no time, but you're doing the right thing building up to it. Dont scare yourself stupid, its not worth it.

My baby is a bit ill atm, my rear shock was making nasty noises so had it sent off to Mojo (under warranty). All fixed and should get it back in a couple of days.

Bit early for break downs mate? Was it dirt ingress or did the internals just knacker up?

Sounds like it was where the nitrogen is held. I will find out more when they give me a call. All covered under warranty though, not cost me anything other than a fiver to send it to them. You're meant to service them every year anyway, so I have got that for a five this time :lol: Sounds like it can be quite a common occurance, the shock still functions to say 95% of its ability, it just makes weird noises as some air has gotten into the nitrogen. A lot of people say its normal, but the fact that Mojo have done something to it suggests otherwise.

On the plus side, I got a new toy on Saturday, Amanda too. We're going out for night rides with her mates from work at Swinley so decided to get some Exposure Joysticks to go with our Magicshines. Gonna be like riding in daytime :teeth:

Couple of joysticks and similar in my ex-group, they are pretty good. I haven't done any night rides since the back end of last year, but i can just use my days off now :D Maybe once i get going in Barrow i'll try and get a few in during my "on" days to keep me ticking over.

Yeah they are pretty impressive. Meant to be 300 lumens each. Magicshines are meant to be ~900 lumens but conservatively, I'd say the Magicshines are twice as bright as the Joysticks. Cant wait to get out and use them. When Amanda isnt with me, I could now have 2x Magicshine and 2x Joystick for ultimate dog walker blinding fun :lol:

Another week off, another grueling first ride :yuck: Didn't help myself by going to do some classic "Lakes-core" up Skiddaw and Ullock pike. Much harder than doing it in the drought last year. Much crashing ensued! :blackeye:

Have to get to the end of that:

IMAG0196.jpg

And fell down most of that:

IMAG0197.jpg

• 2 weeks later...