When you turn the air con off........

Gizmo-R

.....I find the air that comes out is a little 'musty' in smell

I dont know what the other owner did with it bit it does smell a little unpleasant. Has anyone had this and know what is the cause?

it used to happen on my last car, no idea what caused it but i got some stuff from halfords that i left in my car and then turned on the aircon but on recirculating. left it for about 20 mins and then bobs your uncle! cant remember for the life of me what it was called. hope this helps

this happens when the air con hasnt been used for a while. i use mine all year round even for heat. as this will make it work better in the long run.

when i 1st had the car i had this smell but not anymore, it will go after a bit of use.

if it stays there are air con cleaners you can buy :thumbs:

Oh I know what yoru on about! I had something like that for the S2000. It was like a canister that you set off in the car and let your blowers run full blast on recirculation while you wait outside and it cleans it!

Nice one cheers! :thumbs:

Bacteria in the hoses i think. I think what happens is that the air from the aircon is dehumidified and when you turn it off you then re-introduce moist air into the system and the moisture is

what causes the smell..

Dont quote me tho.. :blush:

Now get this.. Had a really really sickining stench in a Mazda 6 MPS when the aircon was on & then turned off. Got it cleaned by an "aircon engineer" at Mazada. Still had this foul smell although not as bad

but i needed the wondows open! really it was that bad!

After a long long time, i discovered it was the screen wash liquid (TESCO's own ready made stuff) that had gone "off". It had found its way into the condenser and was building up the foul smell and mildew in the entire venting system.

Needed to have new air vents hoses , condenser housing, etc to get rid of the smell. But somewhat of a major job to undertake.... Sold the car instead!

this happens when the air con hasnt been used for a while. i use mine all year round even for heat. as this will make it work better in the long run.

when i 1st had the car i had this smell but not anymore, it will go after a bit of use.

I think prior to buying this Zed the last owner left in on the drive for a good 5-6months!

I think prior to buying this Zed the last owner left in on the drive for a good 5-6months!

that's prob whats caused it. id try running it for a couple of days and see how you get on. if the smell stays then try a cleaner. you may find the more its used the more effective it will become

Mines does it too, it's the moisture coming off the coil when you turn the air con off. It's basically dampness, if it's on windscreen you will see the windscreen mist up. Doesn't bother me that much to do something about it, I'm an ac engineer and a good clean of the coil will sort it but I really can't be arsed. One of those things where you know how to do it but really can't be bothered

I've noticed recently that everytime i use the car ther e is very odd smell although i always leave my aircon on.. However today it seems to have stopped working and is just blowing out warm air.

I guess the smell could be a symptom of the aircon not working but any idea's where i should looking to fix it....

Fuse?

Needs Gas?

??

Cheers,

Chris

Could be the compressor, could be short of gas. If it's the latter then it generally means there is a leak. This isn't a home repair job. Sit with car idling and press the ac on, your revs should changed. This will indicate a gas shortage as the compressor is kicking in. In the unlikely event of the compressor head failing this will still happen but it is rare. If the ac has a gas leak you may find an oily substance laying under the car or around the ac pipework or coil. Have a look around. I would highly recommend taking it to a car a/c engineer or any a/c engineers you know.

the bad smell comes from using the recirculation button. it goes to it automatically and you should turn it off that setting. if you use it on the draws air from outside setting you shouldn't get it.

on the re circ setting there is a build up of moisture which when combined with warm weather makes a great breeding ground for bacteria and fungal spores. hence the smell.

a good product like the commas mentioned above will fix it. if its very bad, you might need to do it twice.

was covered several times before, if you search for it, there are at least 3 thread son it with the same information in.