Just picked up the 350z

MGR

So I've just collected the car. First impressions are its not bad at all. Rubbish engine but apart from that its pretty decent. Steering is quite good, brakes are good and I can get my golf clubs in the back which I didn't think I'd be able to so bonus.

Only niggle I've detected so far is the spare key hasn't been cut which I hadn't noticed. I assume I'll have to get this coded - is this a dealer job or is it possible to do it some other way where I don't have to pay £££££££££.

I'll get some photos up when I get chance !

Also might be a stupid question but how do you use the sat nav ? I can't see any controls for it in the car.

Rubbish engine? why do you think that?

Just would prefer a bit more poke top end, it seems like it should have a bit more go to it somehow. Rubbish is a bit strong I suppose, just doesn't feel like a 280 bhp car. I have been used to quite a peaky engine before which might be affecting my perception though. Its fine for driving round town just seems a bit lacking if you really extend it. Really happy with all the other aspects of the way it drives.

get the key cut yourself anywhere, then do a search on here for the recoding procedure. :thumbs:

And if its a rubbish engine, why did you buy one!?

Cars always have one weak point, the brakes were it on my last car (M3) but the rest of the car was excellent. I don't think the perfect car exists. The 350 seems like an excellent car, which is why I bought one.

thanks for the advice r.e. re-coding procedure.

Depends what your used to I suppose, if you like vtec type engines that you have to rev the nuts off to get any torque the you shouldn't have bought a Z :p

The whole thing with the Z is you dont have to give it the beans there is power all the time, it certainly isnt peaky, sure you will learn to love not having to change down so often to get some :teeth:

The way the Z picks up speed is very deceptive. I never & still don't find it to be that quick but a glance at the speedo soon changes that

Absolutely I'm not saying its slow, just the character of it really, the rest of the car is so good I suppose it just stood out as not being quite up to the quality of the rest of the controls. Just my first impression from driving it home.

The way the Z picks up speed is very deceptive. I never & still don't find it to be that quick but a glance at the speedo soon changes that

That is very true, my 2.0 TDI feels quicker at times, but as you say the Z is just goes and goes. I was on my way back home today on the M25 and thought I was in 6th doing 70, planted my foot down and shot off like a rocket.... I was actually in 5th :blush: must turn my music down a little.....

Depends what your used to I suppose, if you like vtec type engines that you have to rev the nuts off to get any torque the you shouldn't have bought a Z :p

The whole thing with the Z is you dont have to give it the beans there is power all the time, it certainly isnt peaky, sure you will learn to love not having to change down so often to get some :teeth:

I do prefer the Vtec power style where it just keeps on pulling but agree on something like a 2.0l engine its a bit pants, however the S54 in the M3 had the same characteristics but the engine was strong enough at lower revs not to have that problem.

Its not a major issue and as I don't thrash my cars most of the time I probably won't even notice it day to day !

As others have said the zed is extremely deceptive. Just give it some beans and then actually look at ur speedo.... I think you will get a surprise :lol::drive1 It took me a while to get used to it when I first got the zed as I didnt think it was fast at all.......... ohhhh how I was wrong. Anyway I hope you enjoy ur zed ownership :)

I do prefer the Vtec power style where it just keeps on pulling but agree on something like a 2.0l engine its a bit pants, however the S54 in the M3 had the same characteristics but the engine was strong enough at lower revs not to have that problem.

Its not a major issue and as I don't thrash my cars most of the time I probably won't even notice it day to day !

Not really a just comparison, but yeah I agree the Z engine is not the sportiest but for me its all about the noise and the looks B)

First time my missus drover the Z on her own she said she will have to be careful as she looked down and was doing a fair bit over the limit, she hasn't driven it much since then :lol:

Certainly takes some getting used to having such a flat torque curve, especially if you come from a car with a peaky torque curve, as the torque is just always there. I know a lot of the guys on the MLR were dead jealous of the Zed when we had her on the rollers with their Evos, as there torque curves were so peaky compared to the Zeds relentless torque.

Sounds like you need to get it to Abbey, Uprev remap will soon give you that bit more your looking for... 100% WOT and lots more pull.

You never know, your car may be running in some type of limp mode.. It can happen and with no warning light. Try an ECU reset, also is it 100% stock under the hood?

Also, they learn from your driving style. on the dyno it takes them 5 or 6 runs to give their best numbers... Drive it like you stole it and it will improve..

Just come back from Le Mans and really the first time i've given my Z a hard run. As you say found the power curve very smooth rather than all or nothing like the cosworths / evo's. Took my DC5 Integra last year and found that anything over double figures it sounded like the engine was screaming its nuts off. Agreed thats what VTEC does but if I had taken it this year rather than the Z it wouldnt have been able to sit behind a DB9 at *50 mph comfortably as the Z did (much to the Aston's surprise!!)

. Rubbish engine

:lol::D My thoughts but not so un kind in the rubbish department :teeth: I came from a Z3M Roadster S50 Engine which I had spent over 2k on geting 300bhp at the rears, 296 to be precice ;) once i GOT IN THE z AND OPENED IT UP I was dissapointed ..... but working on that one ;) anyway I think the looks of the z are fantastic and close to super car class... love mine to bits just need a bit more tourque gain +++++++++++++++++++++++

Ste

I spoke to steve from abbey today, they seem well clued up and got a 1 month lead-in time.

Think there is Tony, Mark, Scott, Will and Charlie there, not sure about Steve!!

And yep, they are very clued up! Think they have seen about 50 owners zeds now and many of the owners will have been back for return work... not many places in the UK that can say that!

I spoke to steve from abbey today, they seem well clued up and got a 1 month lead-in time.

Think there is Tony, Mark, Scott, Will and Charlie there, not sure about Steve!!

And yep, they are very clued up! Think they have seen about 50 owners zeds now and many of the owners will have been back for return work... not many places in the UK that can say that!

Opps and before I get my balls in a sling... The lovely Sarah is there too!

Post edited :lol:

I will probs get a re-map from them after i come back from holiday in august