Polished stock strut brace

Husky

Decided i'd do this :)

Simple really:

mask off both sides with duc tape or whatever

Use rough paper to remove the silver paint and then the underlying black primer

i started with 240 grit and then went through 400 600 800 1200 1500 then autosol and then megs metal polish.

now i need to laquer it, i bought petrol resistant laquer but i have no idea what im doing and will prob now ruin it all :lol:

its steel so you have to REALLY keep it bone dry and away from any water or you will have to start again due to rust

crap pics but i will get better ones and then on the car :) also i didnt have the time to make it perfect so its to an acceptable polish in my eyes.

P1030867.jpg

P1030863.jpg

cheers guys, the megs polish will hold for now as it coats it but yes it needs laqured before going anywhere near the car. anyone any good at laquering?

yes

do it now

next time your down bring it with you.

it will have to be re wet and dried to remove the polish and clean it before it can be laquered.

cheers guys, the megs polish will hold for now as it coats it but yes it needs laqured before going anywhere near the car. anyone any good at laquering?

yes

do it now

next time your down bring it with you.

it will have to be re wet and dried to remove the polish and clean it before it can be laquered.

no worries thats just on there to protect it just now, im prob going to coat it in white grease and store it for now

hopefully due to visit you at some point, can always bring the can of petrol resistant laquer i've got with me and do it when i;m there.

can you be patient and wait till i'm next up?

could do bud

depends if i get adventurous.

i have the laquer already ;)

• 11 months later...

Holy thread revival!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Rather than start a new thread I'll revive and query..................may sound like a stupid question but why do you need petrol resistant lacquer? Appreciate that its in the engine bay but there shouldn't really be petrol flying round the place should there?

From what I've ready the petrol based stuff is a beggar to use?

The sanding flap drill bit is making short work of the paint on mine :teeth:

well better safe putting the petrol resistant stuff on than get oil etc on it and have to redo it all no? i don't know, i never got round to coating it so cant say what works best im afraid.

Did the finish hold up well then, without any lacquer?