I'm going to throw my laptop out of the window!

nixy

All of a sudden its started going really slowly and just hanging! Its driving me mad. Constantly just freezes and says firefox is not responding. Also Itunes appears to be totally ballsed up as well for some reason. I load a cd onto itunes, its all done, ping, ready and then when i eject the cd it vanishes from the itunes library like i never even loaded it. I've done a full scan with my antivirus software and spyware blaster and its not really much better. It's so frustrating its about to have an unfortunate accident i think.................all this seems to have coincided with my son borrowing it..............he swears blind he hasn't downloaded anything and i can't find anything untoward but who knows!

Viruses are becoming very clever, a friend of mine had a virus that spawned itself as a antivirus software, and so when he ran his anti-virus it would not look up other defence mechanisms. This could be why your anti-virus is not fixing the problem.

I bet you have a virus that's causing the issues. The last ditch resort is to do a re-build. Pain the bum, but fixes the problem.

Viruses are becoming very clever, a friend of mine had a virus that spawned itself as a antivirus software, and so when he ran his anti-virus it would not look up other defence mechanisms. This could be why your anti-virus is not fixing the problem.

I bet you have a virus that's causing the issues. The last ditch resort is to do a re-build. Pain the bum, but fixes the problem.

you mean flatten and re install right? surely a rebuild is the more expensive option here.

I think Nixy might flatten it before any recommendations tested :lol:

I guess flatten is another term used, although yes a total clean out of the operating system and start again.

Yup, Malwarebytes should get it. Ad-aware is another good one to use. These things are very clever these days and antivirus really does very little to help you other than defend against the initial attack, if it misses that, then you'll need something like Ad-Aware to remove it.

If all else fails, you'll need to wipe the hard drive and re-install everything agian :headhurt:

Nixy as everyone has said do a virus scan and do a disc defrag but my feeling is it's either a recent windows update or apple update both of which can mess up your system. Do a restore back to a day/ time you know it was fine and take it from there.

Let us know how you get on. :thumbs:

Cheers guys - I'll try all that. I did a full scan with kaspersky and then again with spyware blaster which picked a bit of stuff up kaspersky missed. I'll try some of the above as well. It's only a year old, not an old laptop and I don't have tonnes of stuff on it in terms of storage space really. Problems seem to have started since it went back to the manufacturer for warranty work when the click pad stopped working. I had to complete put it back to factory settings and backed everything up onto an external hardrive. Its never been right since i started putting everything back! I'll try all your recommendations first then if all else fails i'll wipe it AGAIN! Something to do on an evening i suppose! :wacko:

Nixy it is always wise to have a spring clean every now and again. Below are two software appz that i think are essential to have a optimised system. Both are free. ;) So please dont wipe it until you have tried the clean up.

http://www.eusing.com/free_registry_cle ... leaner.htm

http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner/download

Would definately Recommend Malware Bytes, it's a fantastic bit of kit

Just ask your son whether something coming up saying it had got an infection. There's a number of malware programs at the moment that are trying to scare people into thinking they have a virus when they don't just to get them to buy their own branded anti virus

Nixy it is always wise to have a spring clean every now and again. Below are two software appz that i think are essential to have a optimised system. Both are free. ;) So please dont wipe it until you have tried the clean up.

http://www.eusing.com/free_registry_cle ... leaner.htm

http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner/download

CCeaner is an excelent one stop job. My mate is a comp/ferensic/scientist (police) he always recomends it.

Also for defrag he always uses Auslogic. Both are free and quick.

Sorry,missed this earlyer.