Hi all, and whats a fairlady?

Hi all,

im lookin at buying a 350z gt and after finding one i like the look of have rang it up and i'am going to look at it on friday. i have just put the reg in a insurance compare website and it comes up saying its a fairlady ive seen this on others and wondered what it meant or stood for as the insurance shoot up.

any help would be great.

A fairlady is a japanese import. When I insured my zed earlier in the year it came up on the insurers database as a fairlady yet it's definitely a U.K. car so I'd delve into things further. The easyest way find out if it's an import is to ring the DVLA

A fairlady is a japanese import. When I insured my zed earlier in the year it came up on the insurers database as a fairlady yet it's definitely a U.K. car so I'd delve into things further. The easyest way find out if it's an import is to ring the DVLA

+1 mine did this, but only with some insurers.

when i was looking for mine i noticed quiet a lot of ppl advertising fairlady's as uk gt's, not sure if they thought this would speed up the sale or what.

unless the owner has changed the rear bumper the JDM will have a square(ish) plate on the back, with the indent in the bumper to match. another easy way to spot it

Welcome to the forum..

I just started reading through the thread, couldn't help thinking 'Nixy will be along in a min to sort this one out' :lol:. There is a lengthy story behind the name fairlady, personally i specifically wanted a JDM import and i love the heritage of the car and the history of the fairlady's.

Proud fairlady owner here too :thumbs:.

thanks for the big welcome and help, is ther any thing i should look at if it is an import other than the higher insurance. what are the pro's and con's of haveing an import?

You might want to see if it's delimited, top speed is limited to about 115mph iirc on JDM's. Tax might be higher too, depends on how it was tested when it was registered in the UK. You'd want to check the mileage i'd think, mine is in kilometers up untill it was converted, then in miles after that so it's not a simple matter of reading the numbers off the dials. Also, nearly all imports suffer a busted splitter when they are unloaded from the ship, if it was imported in a containter you won't have that problem, but worth paying close attension to the front end bodywork and shut lines etc.

All i can think of right now, jdm's are very similar to UK's tbh, not 'huge' differences at all on these cars :)

ed: Just thought, the ecu's run a slightly leaner map due to better fuel in Japan, you might want to check that it's been run on v-power or similar.