newbie, and hopefully a new owner soon

Hi Guys.

Found this forum with great ease so thought i'd sign up, got a few questions as i'm thinking of buying a 350z, so if anyone could give me some advice I would be much appreciated.

I've done a bit of research over the last few days, but am getting mixed opinions and mixed feedback about various subjects which are going to help determine if i go down the 350z route.

Anyway, bit of background info on me, i'm from staffordshire, and I used to drive an vauxhall astra coupe turbo with a fair amount of engine mods, which was running at 300bhp and 360lb torque. I sold this about a week ago, so am looking for another toy.

anyway, my questions and thoughts.

I'm thinking about buying a black 350z(no specific car yet), but I do like the look of the GT models, so all my searching has been based around them.

My concerns is the the space, 2 seats and it looks like a small ish boot, the 2 seats I can manage with, because I've got another car for the time being plus my gf has a decent car with 5 seats so can use that, how much actual boot space is there? I've just taken up golf so need to be able to get the clubs in ;)

Secondly, the fuel, im assuming keep it on v power, which I did with my astra, but whats the general fuel consumption, getting people saying its from anywhere from 16mpg to 36mpg, just looking more info, as the petrol costs are so high at the moment, but I only do 20miles per day for work, so i cant see it being too much.

Is there anything I need to be aware about when looking at the GT models, anything specifically go wrong with this model, and what are the service intervals? I've read somewhere that the big service is circa £500, can anyone confirm please?

Finally, whats the tax like on these for 6 months/12 months?

Sorry for all the questions, just trying to make the right decision..

Hi and welcome to the forums, I'm sure you would love the zed and the rear wheel drive aspect of it, having once owned an astra gsi this is by far a much better drivers car, (just be careful in the wet)

You should be able to get 2 golf bags in the back and believe or not there is even a picture in the boot showing you how, I've never done it though

As for MPG, I also use nothing but V power and normally run an average of 27 mpg doing a mix or motorway and town driving, it only ever drops as low as 18 or so when I really thrash the hell out of it which is rare, but as others say, this isn't a bluemotion and likes a good drink

as for road tax, pre April 06 is about the £230 mark I think, post April 06 which I have cost me £405 last year which is a kick in the teeth

As for servicing, depending on if you buy a car still in warranty or not but there are a lot of independents that offer services much cheap than the main stealers, all depends on where you live but a P3 service ( the big one ) can be around £250 - £300 mark, using the search button above will also give you loads of advise, there is so much here

Good luck, get a Zed, you won't regret it

(excuse the spelling, typing this on an iPhone and can't be bothered to change it)

boot space - you can fit 2 golf bags in :thumbs:

fuel can be as low as you want it to be, average seems to be high 20's for motorway and high teens for town/spirited driving. I do around 20miles to and from work per day but I have no idea what MPG I get - just fill up when it's empty then I don't have to think about it.

there is a buying guide and list of all usual fualts etc somewhere on here, as well as the new tax brackets.

Welcome to the forum :wave:

Hi and welcome to the forum. :)

There is a sticky poost for new members in the FAQ section which will give you a few pointers.

There is space for the golf clubs so no problem there. They will even fit in a roadster.

Cruising on the motorway you can get 30 mpg plus, after that its down to the right foot. On a good day around the lanes I can get mid teens.

If you get a pre 06 car you will get the lower tax rate. :thumbs:

Thanks for all the helpful advice, and pics lol :)

I'm seriously considering it, i've been looking at cars for a few weeks/months and came up with a short list:

BMW 320D M Sport < nice, high miles for what I can afford, but good mileage, but 5 doors

Volkswagen Golf R32 < nice

Nissan 350Z GT < nice

Astra VXR < not a fan

Obviously everyone here is going to say 350z, and to be honest thats probably my best choice, for looks, and general all round coolness.

My only issue now is insurance, although its unlikely to be much difference from my astra, and then the difference between post 06 etc for the tax. Going to do a few costings in the next few days and come up with a final choice :)

One final thing, I dont know if im being blind, but I can't see the mileage for services, anyone know the different intervals? this may help in my search :)

Thanks again

I find that there's plenty of space in the boot! I just came home from work and in the boot i had, a golf bag (full), a big northface bag (full), my rather large lowepro camera back pack (very full) and there was still enough space to fit in a few jackets and a couple of umbrellas! Its like the tardis!! :thumbs:

I managed to somehow fit an ice hockey kit bag(biggest bag of kit of any sport) and some over nite bags in the boot altho I only had a 1" gap to view out the back because of it. I do motorway miles and I like to put my foot down quite a bit and some how im still geting 28mpg! If you cant find a GT have you thought about an import high spec model I got one and saved a couple grand over a UK model and only cost me £70 more to insure over a UK GT :yahoo:

BMW = bulletproof and will last forever but boring

VW Gold = Bland and common, not exciting

VXR = Fun car but not enough power

Thats just my opinion though. I do the same mileage as you and have to pay £45 pw for getting to and from work and some fun driving at the weekend, always V Power aswell. :thumbs:

Welcome to the club :wave:

mine gets 30 mpg on long drives, 25 on mixed, 20 on town

my last service was the big P3 and it cost me £330

mines not black, but it is up for sale ;)

and its a GT spec car, and has aftermarket sat nav fitted ;)

lol, thanks for all the welcomes guys, seem a friendly bunch, not all forums are like this!!

Anyway, im virtually swayed, i did an insurance quote last night and it was a bit cheaper than expected. Just need to sort a few other bits and peices out then hopefully I will have made my mind up, even got my gf's approval which is always a winner :)