Engine bay bling: Ming vs H5 1 year long challenge

H5

Thanks guys

Off she comes then :teeth:

I am going to wait until the filter case and intake tube are fitted before I decide on the final finish for the strutt brace.

Black Chrome sounds good as does smoked chrome but we will have to see!!!!!!

H5

Worried?

Never mate :teeth:

Either I win or you win.

Either way we both have great engine bays and its been a blast.

Also I work well under pressure.

Ming the Risk Taker

• Replies 267
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry Ming if this takes it a bit O/T, but I was wondering about the benefits of powder coating. Have you ever watched "Overhaulin'" on Discovery Real Time? They seem to powder coat the chassis (which they can't pronounce properly, by the way) of every car they restore. Does it offer good rust-proofing protection?

Jim the perplexed :D

PS Even though it's always Yank tanks they restore, they don't half do a good job of the cars.

Sorry Ming if this takes it a bit O/T, but I was wondering about the benefits of powder coating. Have you ever watched "Overhaulin'" on Discovery Real Time? They seem to powder coat the chassis (which they can't pronounce properly, by the way) of every car they restore. Does it offer good rust-proofing protection?

Jim the perplexed :D

PS Even though it's always Yank tanks they restore, they don't half do a good job of the cars.

Hi mate

I also watch overhaulin and some of the other american custom car jobbies. I think they do a fantastic job - not always to my taste but fantastic none the less.

A quick lesson on powder coating as I see it and as the 'coaters' explained it to me.

Almost any metal can be coated, even very thin stuff.

The item is first immersed in a chemical dip that degreases and cleans it. It is then high pressure washed with the same stuff to get into all the little nooks and crannies. It is then blasted with a sort of grit/glass/? stuff that really cleans the surface. Any major blemishes are sanded down and then it is dried.

It is blown clean and then connected to an electrical charge.

This makes it eitherp ositive or negative - not sure - and then the powdered paint is blown at it charge with the opposite. The charge causes the powder to 'stick' to the item. The strength of charge controls the depth of powder.

This coat is usually the base coat and the item is placed in a great big oven and baked - just like mommies apple pie, at any temperature between 160 and 190 - I think - dependant on the type of powder.

When cooled and dried the metal is now 'sealed' inside a thick, tough, airtight coat which stops any corrosion. :thumbs:

The top coat that carries the colour is added and sometimes a lacquer as well.

By now there is a right good thick coat on the item which is much tougher and more resiliant than normal paint and also is heat resistant up to just under the baking temperature. (I had loads of bits on my TT GTO and only the front turbo heat shiled had the slightest signs of discolouration and that thing used to GLOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

Almost ANY colour can be applied but obviously should you want Skoda Green or Maseratti brown then they would have to special order the powder and that can be a bit expensive.

The item once coated will only ever need washing with soap and water and polishing with something like pledge and unless attacked with sharp tools should last the life of the car.

If you ever do a chassis up rebuild I can think of no better way to prepare and protect your body work.

Crikey didn't i carry on??

Hope this helps

Ming the Rabbitter

Thanks Ming - as ever a full and comprehensive explanation. I have a colleague who is comtemplating a restoration and I now feel confident in suggesting the powder-coating route to him.

Hi Jim

If he wants to talk it over with me or needs any more information then I will happily PM you my phone number.

The guys I use are VERY VERY good and always do me a great price.

Dependant on what it is he is looking at coating it might still be cost effective to get it brought down coated and taken back up.

All the small stuff we could do by post.

If he knows a coater nearer to home go and look at their work.

Get a before and after view and speak to some of the customers.

I have used these guys literally hundreds of times and all their customers are by recommendation.

Hell they help the Porsche owners club and they ARE a picky lot :teeth:

Hope this helps

Ming the Polisher

I've finally got round to reading this thread. Ming and H5, you are teetering on the edge of insanity!!

Hats off to you guys. Your work and dedication is absolutely fantastic. I'll certainly be keeping an eye on this thread and I can't wait for the final bling-off!!

:notworthy::notworthy::notworthy::notworthy::notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy::notworthy::notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy::notworthy:

:teeth::teeth::teeth:

Just got these :teeth::teeth::teeth:

The heat shield

134_3415.jpg

The connecting bracket

134_3413.jpg

and the intake tube

134_3412.jpg

Sorry about the lack of flash but it bleaches out the colour. It still isn't right but with flash everything goes BLUE???????

Can't wait tob get it all fitted and sorted. :teeth:

My spare front cover is due imminently so I can start on that next.

Ming the impatient

Just read all of this when i should have been working!

I cant wait to see the final results in a year or so, and by then i will have my Zed, woohoo!

Good luck to the both of you and i will be watching this closely.

BTW - if anyone does GM and lime green, i'll attack them ;)

Hi Guys

Got the bits fitted last night :teeth:

The strut brace is not fitted back on yet as it is ...

in for powder coating :teeth::teeth:

The picture is not very good but shows the proper purple colour.

(I can't get to grips with the camera's white balance and get the purple right as well as the back ground??)

What do you think?

134_3422.jpg

I have not had time to clean properly round it yet but I am off Sunday Monday and if the weather is anything like then it is all coming back off to clean UNDERNEATH :blush:

Hopefully I will also have the strut brace back and I can get the front cover started as well.

Oh life is busy busy busy.

Ming the industrious

Ming , did you get a black Samco bend for the Pipercross induction kit, or did you paint??

Bound with electrical tape for now mate but i will be looking for the proper sized samco bend in black sooner or later to finish it off properly.

PS

The induction kit has a lovely 'gulp' sound if you boot it as it really sucks in air!! :teeth:

Ming the Happy

Ming , did you get a black Samco bend for the Pipercross induction kit, or did you paint??

Bound with electrical tape for now mate but i will be looking for the proper sized samco bend in black sooner or later to finish it off properly.

PS

The induction kit has a lovely 'gulp' sound if you boot it as it really sucks in air!! :teeth:

Ming the Happy

If you find out where to get a bend let me know :thumbs: The paints flaking on mine now :yawn:

Yes they do sound well dont they :teeth:

Lookin well Ming! B)

What about the bolts on the plenum etc are they getting the "treatment" too?

When time permits mate I am going to get stainless steel bolts for everything.

Its a matter of getting a few out and going shopping :teeth:

If you powder coat them they:-

a. Get bigger on the head making getting a spanner/socket to fit awkward.

b. the powder coated head would damage when done up tight (The paint would scrunch up)

I might get a few bolts out and try buffing up the heads as I have had success this way in the past. I shall have to see but the GREEN will go!! :teeth:

Ming the Busy

how much did it cost you to powder coat them?

The plenum cost £45 and the pipe, bracket and box I think were £40. I say think because I do loads of stuff for another car site and my bits just go down when the others go down. :D

Ming the Very busy (I am going out to play poker in about fifteen minutes :teeth: )

Ming

Im just curious, you have powder coated most of the metal parts in the engine bay and seem to really have a powder coat fetish :)

Im wondering what your plans are for all the plastic parts in the engine bay are? Including the engine cover??

The Manifold and the induction tubes are an easy mod, a mod that anyone can go out and pay a professional to do or but from ebay. What custom 'one off' ideas do you have? Not to give the game away, im just curious??

Also, how long is the powder coating gauranteed for? Where i used to work we never powdercoated anything as the paint wasn't gauranteed for the many heat cycles that the engines were going through. Do you think that after the year is up your paint will still look as good?

Thanks

Ming

Im just curious, you have powder coated most of the metal parts in the engine bay and seem to really have a powder coat fetish :)

Im wondering what your plans are for all the plastic parts in the engine bay are? Including the engine cover??

The Manifold and the induction tubes are an easy mod, a mod that anyone can go out and pay a professional to do or but from ebay. What custom 'one off' ideas do you have? Not to give the game away, im just curious??

Also, how long is the powder coating gauranteed for? Where i used to work we never powdercoated anything as the paint wasn't gauranteed for the many heat cycles that the engines were going through. Do you think that after the year is up your paint will still look as good?

Thanks

MIng, in reply to this! Carbon, you know you want to! Change all plastic to the sexy material!!!!!!!!