Engine bay bling: Ming vs H5 1 year long challenge

H5

:clap::clap: for the hints so far and the good :boxing: going on...

However, I would be interested in some more 'secrets' how to continue after cleaning the engine bay. Any tips for getting the plastic more shiny/metal less dull etc etc........

:teeth:

maybe start another thread asking for that? ;)

• Replies 267
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:clap::clap: for the hints so far and the good :boxing: going on...

However, I would be interested in some more 'secrets' how to continue after cleaning the engine bay. Any tips for getting the plastic more shiny/metal less dull etc etc........

:teeth:

It's all in the elbow grease ;)

Plenty of quality products out there. You might want to start of with specific questions on a new thread, otherwise we'll be here forever!

Do I detect an orange peel effect on that Ming??? ;):p

Certainly a bright colour, be interesting to see how much further the colour can be applied in the engine bay......

Mine is on the move too! :thumbs:

You shouldn't get orange peel on a powdercoat :blush: Was that just normal paint?

Trust me its powder coat. I collected it from the oven!!!!!!!!! ;)

I have been using this firm for three years now and it is a POWDER COATING firm!!!! ;):p

Dependant on the powder used and the quality of the metal coated - look at the surface of your plenum - the surface COULD looked slightly rippled no matter what you use.

All i can say is "Wait until you see it in the flesh!!!!!!!!" :teeth:

Ming the happy

Hmmm, am now rethinking the powder coating route if there's the possibility of it not looking perfect. Just deciding on that final Kolor...... ;) HINT.

Do I detect an orange peel effect on that Ming??? ;):p

Certainly a bright colour, be interesting to see how much further the colour can be applied in the engine bay......

Mine is on the move too! :thumbs:

You shouldn't get orange peel on a powdercoat :blush: Was that just normal paint?

Trust me its powder coat. I collected it from the oven!!!!!!!!! ;)

I have been using this firm for three years now and it is a POWDER COATING firm!!!! ;):p

Dependant on the powder used and the quality of the metal coated - look at the surface of your plenum - the surface COULD looked slightly rippled no matter what you use.

All i can say is "Wait until you see it in the flesh!!!!!!!!" :teeth:

Ming the happy

Hmmm, am now rethinking the powder coating route if there's the possibility of it not looking perfect. Just deciding on that final Kolor...... ;) HINT.

LOL

Hint received ;)

I thought you said you were not going down the powder coat route anyway ;):p

House of Kolor eh??

That should be good they have some Wicked colours??

Good man!

Ming hte Interested

For those reading this and now thinking that Powder Coating is crap let me try and explain.

The finish of any 'painted' or 'coated' product depends on the surface underneath. If the surface is as rough as a bagers arse the no matter how well you paint it its gonna look rough. If the surface is glass smooth then its gonna look good with Halfrauds special and 10 minutes in the garage.

Powder coating is put on with an electric charge and there for has a very even coating. It is then baked in an oven to set the paint. Dependant on colour there are several coats that go on giving a nice even and THICK coat. It is also much tougher than normal paint. It cleans much more easily and therefore is ideal for engine parts - dependant on heat of course, you could not powder coat a TURBO or an exhaust pipe as it only goes on at about 170 to 190 degrees and both those items get hotter than that - as well as other items.

I had parts on my GTO that were chrome effect and they were on there 2 1/2 years when I sold the car to no detriment what so ever. I did over 20,000 miles in that time.

For those still not convinced then

either

1. Wait and see! :teeth:

2. Use tinned stuff!

3. Look on the GTO site and see what they say about powder coating!

4. Leave your ally stuff looking old and haggard! :p

The reason I say this is that at present i am borrowing a plenum to do mine and Vals but if I can source one I will be able to do exchange plenums, powder coated to a decent choice of colours for £45 plus postage. I get this price as the powder coaters are friends of mine and do it at almost cost to me.

To give an example of thier commitment to quality some stuff they did over 6 months ago for a friend of mine has tarnished. We don't know why it just has so they are taking it all back and re doing it for FREE!

Just a thought!!

Ming the Helpful

Does that include rubbing the plenum down Ming?

The do do some work on the surface but to fully flat and polish a surface prior to painting it on EVERY item they do would require another half a dozen staff!!!!!!!

What do you expect for £45.

Trust me the results are every bit as good as anything you could buy from the states and half the price!! ;)

Ming the satisfied

Ming the satisfied

AND

In front. :p

lol - Don't start getting cocky....!! ;):p

You ain't seen nothing yet!

Thats what I like to hear.

You do realise that the purple isl ikely to be the FIRST incarnation don't you.

Mrs Ming is already pulling her hair out as I put it on looked at it and went Hmmmmmmm!!!! :teeth:

She doesn't overly like the purple and will fill my head with idea's.

Ming the Practicer

What about a patching coated strut?

Rob

The strut is filled with a sort of polystyrene hard foam.

They said it was for strength but htat is bollox. I think that there must have been a vibration problem so they damped it out.

I gotta work out a way to get it out - easy - get it powder coated - easy - and then re fill it - not quite so easy.

But I have ideas. ;)

I am sure before long its gonna be

Purppplllleeeeeeeeeee!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :yahoo::teeth::yahoo:

Ming the Mind bender

What about a patching coated strut?

Rob

The strut is filled with a sort of polystyrene hard foam.

They said it was for strength but htat is bollox. I think that there must have been a vibration problem so they damped it out.

I gotta work out a way to get it out - easy - get it powder coated - easy - and then re fill it - not quite so easy.

But I have ideas. ;)

I am sure before long its gonna be

Purppplllleeeeeeeeeee!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :yahoo::teeth::yahoo:

Ming the Mind bender

Are you referring ot the front or rear??

Guys, I've only just had time to read this thread as not been online much recently but I'm in awe of both of your efforts :notworthy: , the pics you've already posted are a reflection of what must be an incredible amount of time - fair play to you both. I'm very interested to see how this pans out. My money's on Ming :thumbs:

You're right, Andy, this is probably the most engaging thread on the forum right now, and one which promises to hold our attention for many months to come. I am also in awe of the quality of the work you guys do - I wish I had the nerve and commitment to emulate your efforts.

More strength to both your elbows! :thumbs:

Thanks guys

It is strange that H5 and I are in many ways very similar - I won't drive a dirty car !! - and yet we are going to do the engine bay in totally different ways.

I didn't need an excuse before but I have even more reason now to spend hours UNDER the bonnet!!

Mrs Ming accepts that half of almost every Sunday is put aside to cleaning the car. ( I am looking at getting an awning so that I can work on the car IN THE RAIN)

Ming the content

H5

Hi mate

Went down to the bling shop today - powder coaters of course LOL - and they looked under the bonnet and went

That .... and that ... and that ..... oh and that as well. :teeth:

Ming the ready

PS Has anyone driven one of these cars WITHOUT the front strutt brace? does it make a noticiable difference?

I want to take mine off for a week?

I am more than willing to drive like a little girl or for a week or so if necessary and I will only be doing short journeys anyway!

Any ideas.

Ming the Bling Crazy

PS Has anyone driven one of these cars WITHOUT the front strutt brace? does it make a noticiable difference?

I am more than willing to drive like a little girl or for a week or so if necessary and I will only be doing short journeys anyway!

Any ideas.

Ming the Bling Crazy

mine's been off since I swapped plenums mate.... no probs you won't feel it unless you are on a track

Thanks guys

It is strange that H5 and I are in many ways very similar - I won't drive a dirty car !! - and yet we are going to do the engine bay in totally different ways.

I didn't need an excuse before but I have even more reason now to spend hours UNDER the bonnet!!

Mrs Ming accepts that half of almost every Sunday is put aside to cleaning the car. ( I am looking at getting an awning so that I can work on the car IN THE RAIN)

Ming the content

H5

Hi mate

Went down to the bling shop today - powder coaters of course LOL - and they looked under the bonnet and went

That .... and that ... and that ..... oh and that as well. :teeth:

Ming the ready

Any ideas.

Ming the Bling Crazy

Yeah, thanks guys. Hope you're not feeling the pressure Ming with all this money going on you!! :p;)

That's where my garage comes in to it's own. It's even carpeted for comfort!! lol

Good luck with the powder coaters. To be honest I still haven't decided on a colour! :headhurt: Others around are getting it moving though. Had to take my foot off the pedal for the last week as I've been arguing with insurance companies non-stop!

Sure the strut brace removal will be fine.

Guest prescience

Any ideas.

Ming the Bling Crazy

mine's been off since I swapped plenums mate.... no probs you won't feel it unless you are on a track

I agree I don't think there is any harm in removing it for a short while and you'd have to be driving more spiritedly on the roads than you are allowed to, to notice