Engine bay bling: Ming vs H5 1 year long challenge

H5

And just to check, anything like chips that cannot be rectified without a respray don't come into the judging process? Fair?

Agreed mate.

After all it is my every day car and is not garaged.

I see it as all about being CLEAN and subtle.

Theme wise the car is going to stay reasonably standard. There will be no great big ironing board/shopping trolley spoilers on the back or lips so low it grounds out on a pea.

The engine bay will be simple with one colour added to what is already there. It will however be VERY VERY clean.

I have plans to replace several bits under the bonnet and each bit I add will in one way or the other be changed from standard.

The interior has not yet been considered as it is already comfy and, with leather, quite nice looking.

I have a set of quality Nissan mats that finish it off nicely.

The boot area is one I have a few ideas for. (Don't worry there is not going to be great big speakers and subs and amps everywhere I am far too old for all that!! :teeth: )

Hell i am giving far too much away here!!

What plans do you have mate??

Ming the Considered

This is where it could get interesting then.....!

I'm similar, car used regularly, clean and subtle the way forward.

I have a lip on it's way and need to change rear bumper as someone reversed into mine already :angry:

Under the bonnet, similar, one colour and then the rest clean and tidy. Maybe the odd bit of bling replacement too.....

As for the boot, when you see the pics of my show car you'll roll your eyes. Nothing massive (it was two speakers up front and one sub) but it was in a pretty custom install. And won trophies for sound quality. The boot will change.

Interior wise, I'm the same as you, just very clean.

My mate has just bought a T350C and we wrote our shopping lists yesterday, but I'll spare you that......

Any rules needed??

• Replies 267
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

" Did I mention my bro works at Prodrive in the composites department??? :p "

Did I mention that I get special rates at the best powder coaters in the North of England?? :p

Khan wheels and one of the Porsche owners clubs have accounts with them!!

Ming the Ready

Powder, pah. Carbon fibre....... :teeth:;)

Engine bay. Worst bit over with.....

440enginebay.jpg

Now for the outside.....

440sidelower.jpg

440rearmodnats04plate.jpg

440frontmodnats04plate.jpg

And the install and interior....

Prolinedriver.jpg

440Driversdoorcard.jpg

440boot.jpg

440frontinterior.jpg

What do you think?? And I know what some may think. Yes it was a bit chavvy, but that's the way it was!! I was young and naive..... But an improvement over standard!!

Cheers Rob. It was lovely sounding. Not as 'cheque book' as some so there was the odd equipment limitation in sound. But I couldn't get enough of listening to music in it.

I will do the Zed yes. But I have weight issues with doing it like I did the Volvo. The 440 was a diesel family hatchback. It never went fast so I didn't care about the weight. The sub box alone with W7 in weighed bout 35kgs. So next one will be a big sound from different kit though.

Anyone wanna buy a W7 or Slash series amps?? I was at a show yesterday and speaking to a few distributors about this car and will try something else.

Rules restrict the imagination :teeth:

For every person who will look at a 10,000 watt install that can make ears bleed and watch their erection rise there will those that vomit and run for the hills.

My ideal car is one with lots and lots of little changes and minor mods that together make a BIG improvement.

Good luck mate my mind is already in overdrive.

Ming the Interested

H5

Hi again mate.

Have been plotting - or is that planning - with my lad and he remindfed me of the asta of his - his first car - that we 'upgraded'. Dug some pics out for your perusal.

Fancy an install like that in the Zed :scare:

On receipt - free

Aswegother.jpg

After paint and some alloys

Afterpaint.jpg

Engine pre Ming

Enginebefore.jpg

Engine post ming

Engine1stclean.jpg

Our Zebra Install without shelf

Subbox.jpg

With shelf

Parcelshelfbig.jpg

Oh forgot. It was a split shelf

Splitshelf.jpg

All our own work and our very first install.

What do you think!

Ming the Wild

lol - everyone's got a bit of it in them!! And you clearly have an engine fetish!

Have you seen the pics of the Volvo? What d'ya think??

I reckon for a home install it looks very very tidy. Not my choice on the covering pattern :D but nicely finished. I got carried away with Italian Alcantara in mine, all neatly brushed in the same direction......

My install was for me and no-one else. The fact it happened to do OK against some much bigger opposition and everyone like the car was a bonus. :yahoo:

Hi mate

Just realised that it was your vovlo that got stolen :blush:

went back through the thread and there is now only one pic. i am sure when I looked last time there were several.

Cantr remember what the instal looked like.

Any news on your car yet?

Gotta go to work now 8x4 nights on the public order van on a Bank Holiday

Atl east it pays the bills.

Speak to you later

Ming the busy

Secrets going, but all for a good cause......!

I use Auto Glym Engine and Machine Cleaner.

Firstly, cover all electrical sockets etc that are exposed with cling film.

Then spray the stuff all over the place and leave for a few seconds.

Using a range of brushes (alloy wheel ones, paint brushes etc) go nuts for a bit agitating it on every surface you can get to.

Use a watering can to rinse it off.

Repeat as necessary until you can run your hand over every surface and it's clean.

Dry with a cloth.

That makes it clean, next step is to get the finish which is another step....... :thumbs:

Hi mate, no news yet. Can't work out WHAT they think they're doing with it!!

The pics of the install and exterior are on page two of this thread?

Enjoy work, pays for more Glym!! ;)

Hi Mate

Looking at the install I reckon they did your house FOR THE BITS IN THE CAR!!

The install looks good mate. Nicely fitted and well made.

I can see we are both going to have some fun here. I like it when the oposition is quality.

Bring it on :teeth:

Ming the Prepared

I hope you have learnt the lessons of 6x9 in the shelves & subs - no no no no.

It does look very much like a first install - I know mine looked comparibly cheesy

Rob

My lad was SEVENTEEN!!!!!!!!!!!

He wanted an install like all the other seventeen year olds ....... but ....... BETTER!!!!!!!!!!

Thats what he got.

Alos it was about five years ago.

Its not how I would do it but I am nearly 48!!

I can tell you that in the peer group he knocked about in at that time it blew the oposition into the weeds. :thumbs: Not only that but taking the components out - and he funded them - it cost us less than £100!!!!! :teeth:

Styles change. Christ look at what WE all used to wear!! :scare:

Have no fear nothing ike this will go any where near the Zed.

I am going to use leopard print.

The Whole idea of the pics was to show H5 what we could do, not what we are going to do!

Ming the Ready

Secrets going, but all for a good cause......!

I use Auto Glym Engine and Machine Cleaner.

Firstly, cover all electrical sockets etc that are exposed with cling film.

Then spray the stuff all over the place and leave for a few seconds.

Using a range of brushes (alloy wheel ones, paint brushes etc) go nuts for a bit agitating it on every surface you can get to.

Use a watering can to rinse it off.

Repeat as necessary until you can run your hand over every surface and it's clean.

Dry with a cloth.

That makes it clean, next step is to get the finish which is another step....... :thumbs:

Strange aint it but we all do it the same.

Decent engine degreasant and a slack hand full of brushes - old tooth brushes are very useful.

A free afternoon and an understanding Mrs Ming.

Some sh*tty old clothes and a plentiful supply of tea.

Cover all the connectors, splash it all over (I use an old pump bottle of some sort as the degreasant gets into nooks and crannies better.) Lots and lots of scrubbing with brushes and a rinse off with hot water. Repeat lots of times until all the crap has gone then wash with soapy water to remove the residue. (Stirrup pump bottle with soapy water puts it into places under pressure and again is a great help.)

PS Wah the drive at this stage as well before it all dries and makes a mess. Keeps the Mrs Happy.

When dry and clean start with a brillo pad or domestic sanding block on all the old pitted ally. Solvo Autosolv and another tooth brush gets great results. You can use very fine wet and dry but I try and avoid it. Brasso also brings up a good final finish.

No secrets really just a long day, stiff back and bleedin hard graft.

The results though are ALWAYS worth it!!

The results will always be dependant on what you started with but NOTHING is beyond being brought back to life!

Ming the Obsessed

Hi mate, no news yet. Can't work out WHAT they think they're doing with it!!

The pics of the install and exterior are on page two of this thread?

Enjoy work, pays for more Glym!! ;)

Hi Mate

Looking at the install I reckon they did your house FOR THE BITS IN THE CAR!!

The install looks good mate. Nicely fitted and well made.

I can see we are both going to have some fun here. I like it when the oposition is quality.

Bring it on :teeth:

Ming the Prepared

Luckily the dirty little tea leafs got away with a car with no kit in it as I'd taken it all out. :p Little to$$ers. :crutches:

It's all good fun.

Round 1..... :boxing::teeth:

H5

Hi mate

Sh*t I thought it was odd getting people to call me Ming but H5???? Whats that all about? Cool none the less. B)

In the spirit of the game. A little update.

Found a professional ally fabricator today who will make me a custom engine cover for a very reasonable price :teeth:

Now do I powder coat or do I POLISH and ENGRAVE??????????????

Heres one to think about .......

I have also been speaking to a professional seamstress and embroiderer?? He He He!!!!!!!!

Fancy a BIG Z anyone!!

Round 1 1/2 :boxing::boxing:

Ming the Sideways thinker

I hope you have learnt the lessons of 6x9 in the shelves & subs - no no no no.

It does look very much like a first install - I know mine looked comparibly cheesy

Rob

My lad was SEVENTEEN!!!!!!!!!!!

He wanted an install like all the other seventeen year olds ....... but ....... BETTER!!!!!!!!!!

Thats what he got.

Alos it was about five years ago.

Its not how I would do it but I am nearly 48!!

I can tell you that in the peer group he knocked about in at that time it blew the oposition into the weeds. :thumbs: Not only that but taking the components out - and he funded them - it cost us less than £100!!!!! :teeth:

Styles change. Christ look at what WE all used to wear!! :scare:

Have no fear nothing ike this will go any where near the Zed.

I am going to use leopard print.

The Whole idea of the pics was to show H5 what we could do, not what we are going to do!

Ming the Ready

As the older one its your place to educate them. The sooner they realise how crap it is to have 6x9s above subs the better. If you save the money on 6x9s spend it on gettinga better amps/subs you would still have a 'cool' looking install but it would sound even better blowing away his mates

[i was not knocking the style - as you say its all down to trends]

H5

Hi mate

Sh*t I thought it was odd getting people to call me Ming but H5???? Whats that all about? Cool none the less. B)

In the spirit of the game. A little update.

Found a professional ally fabricator today who will make me a custom engine cover for a very reasonable price :teeth:

Now do I powder coat or do I POLISH and ENGRAVE??????????????

Heres one to think about .......

I have also been speaking to a professional seamstress and embroiderer?? He He He!!!!!!!!

Fancy a BIG Z anyone!!

Round 1 1/2 :boxing::boxing:

Ming the Sideways thinker

The H5 is the beginning of my number plate from the pics of the Volvo? It's just short and easy to remember for logging on to these sites!!

Are you trying to scare me Ming?? :yawn::p

I have plenty in the pipeline, I never make a rash decision, the WHOLE CAR will be planned before any work is started and will all be done quite quickly after that.......

However, ;) the fabrication of many things from that light weight racing material has begun.......

BTW, what sort of price have you been quoted as I want one done and there's a few places down here (could get it cheaper if more than 1?) As a comparison? PM me if you want.