Engine bay bling: Ming vs H5 1 year long challenge

H5

I hope you have learnt the lessons of 6x9 in the shelves & subs - no no no no.

It does look very much like a first install - I know mine looked comparibly cheesy

Rob

My lad was SEVENTEEN!!!!!!!!!!!

He wanted an install like all the other seventeen year olds ....... but ....... BETTER!!!!!!!!!!

Thats what he got.

Alos it was about five years ago.

Its not how I would do it but I am nearly 48!!

I can tell you that in the peer group he knocked about in at that time it blew the oposition into the weeds. :thumbs: Not only that but taking the components out - and he funded them - it cost us less than £100!!!!! :teeth:

Styles change. Christ look at what WE all used to wear!! :scare:

Have no fear nothing ike this will go any where near the Zed.

I am going to use leopard print.

The Whole idea of the pics was to show H5 what we could do, not what we are going to do!

Ming the Ready

As the older one its your place to educate them. The sooner they realise how crap it is to have 6x9s above subs the better. If you save the money on 6x9s spend it on gettinga better amps/subs you would still have a 'cool' looking install but it would sound even better blowing away his mates

[i was not knocking the style - as you say its all down to trends]

It's not even about subs vs 6x9. Ming and son had got the subs and plenty of it from the looks of it!!

The basic thing people forget, is where are you sat and how many speakers do you really need??

At the front of the car, and two.........

Sub should blend with the front end. All much easier said than done!! :)

• Replies 267
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

H5

Hi mate

Sh*t I thought it was odd getting people to call me Ming but H5???? Whats that all about? Cool none the less. B)

In the spirit of the game. A little update.

Found a professional ally fabricator today who will make me a custom engine cover for a very reasonable price :teeth:

Now do I powder coat or do I POLISH and ENGRAVE??????????????

Heres one to think about .......

I have also been speaking to a professional seamstress and embroiderer?? He He He!!!!!!!!

Fancy a BIG Z anyone!!

Round 1 1/2 :boxing::boxing:

Ming the Sideways thinker

The H5 is the beginning of my number plate from the pics of the Volvo? It's just short and easy to remember for logging on to these sites!!

Are you trying to scare me Ming?? :yawn::p

I have plenty in the pipeline, I never make a rash decision, the WHOLE CAR will be planned before any work is started and will all be done quite quickly after that.......

However, ;) the fabrication of many things from that light weight racing material has begun.......

BTW, what sort of price have you been quoted as I want one done and there's a few places down here (could get it cheaper if more than 1?) As a comparison? PM me if you want.

Hi mate

Initially I was quoted about £150 for a finished article but as luck would have it I spoke to a work mate today whose old man is a panel beater and metal fabricator for the classic car scene and as he is retired works for beer money!! :teeth:

I have hopefully sourced a spare plastic cover so I am going to drop it down to him as soon as I get it and ask him for both ideas and prices. As such I do not know yet what it is going to cost.

Unless yours (or mine) is loads cheaper I reckon we should do them seperately to see what each comes up with!! Obviously if there is a massive price, or quality, difference then we can pool resources.

As you may have guessed the embroidery is not for under the bonnet ;)

Now where can we put a big fancy Zed?? :teeth:

Another update.

I have just been given a tub of Zymol 'plastic detailing wax'. God knows what it cost but its got lots of Carnuba wax in it and all sorts of exotic stuff to make plastic shine and smell nice!!

Can't wait to get into the car and start trying that out.

Might have to slow down for this month though as I have just checked my front tyres :thumbdown:

Ming the Happy (Always happy when blinging or planning blinging)

I hope you have learnt the lessons of 6x9 in the shelves & subs - no no no no.

It does look very much like a first install - I know mine looked comparibly cheesy

Rob

My lad was SEVENTEEN!!!!!!!!!!!

He wanted an install like all the other seventeen year olds ....... but ....... BETTER!!!!!!!!!!

Thats what he got.

Alos it was about five years ago.

Its not how I would do it but I am nearly 48!!

I can tell you that in the peer group he knocked about in at that time it blew the oposition into the weeds. :thumbs: Not only that but taking the components out - and he funded them - it cost us less than £100!!!!! :teeth:

Styles change. Christ look at what WE all used to wear!! :scare:

Have no fear nothing ike this will go any where near the Zed.

I am going to use leopard print.

The Whole idea of the pics was to show H5 what we could do, not what we are going to do!

Ming the Ready

As the older one its your place to educate them. The sooner they realise how crap it is to have 6x9s above subs the better. If you save the money on 6x9s spend it on gettinga better amps/subs you would still have a 'cool' looking install but it would sound even better blowing away his mates

[i was not knocking the style - as you say its all down to trends]

Hi Rob

My lad was 17 and therefore knew EVERYTHING about style. All I was was fabricator and more important QUALITY CONTROL!! ;)

Since the Astra he has moved on through Peugeot (x2), BMW to VW Corrado. the instals have been much more subtle and the latest is still on the drawing board and may yet be just an upgrade of components.

He decides what he wants and I just make sure its done right!!

Ming the Patient

Guest prescience

Speaking as one who has not really much interest in engine bay bling :blush: unless its about performance, I must confess I am into this competition and friendly rivalry to see which one comes out best :D

Based on the Form Guide (pics to date), I reckon the SP is:

Ming 8/11 Fav

H5 2/1

Guest prescience
I love that GTO bay :wub:

Good luck guys, who'll be King?! :king:

Ming if you take up a career in this cleaning, i'll book mine in! :)

I think his service is up soon - so he'll need something to keep him interested :p

Speaking as one who has not really much interest in engine bay bling :blush: unless its about performance, I must confess I am into this competition and friendly rivalry to see which one comes out best :D

Based on the Form Guide (pics to date), I reckon the SP is:

Ming 8/11 Fav

H5 2/1

Where do I place my bet?? :#1::D

Guest prescience

You can't bet on yourself - just in case you become favourite and then 'throw' the contest :p

We do need a book though but what could people bet, part of their post count perhaps, its very close to some people's hearts based on their posts.

I think one person should be the ultimate arbiter with members free to make their representations at the appointed time. Perhaps Val (with his blingy background) or Chris?

You can't bet on yourself - just in case you become favourite and then 'throw' the contest :p

We do need a book though but what could people bet, part of their post count perhaps, its very close to some people's hearts based on their posts.

I think one person should be the ultimate arbiter with members free to make their representations at the appointed time. Perhaps Val (with his blingy background) or Chris?

Hi Chris

I will go with whatever people think but for what its worth I think that when H5 and I reach a set date all members should be allowed to vote with maybe half a vote on the back of pictures and a full vote to those that turn up at whatever meet it is that we both attend. (they get to look at both cars side by side.)

Come on H5 what do you think?

Rickya

Thanks for that mate. I have seen some pretty smart BMW engines around as well. That straight 6 head begs to be blinged!!

When I retire I do want to go into the valeting, engine bling business doing my own powder coating, but that is 4 1/2 years away yet and there are still villains to pursue.

Ming the Polished

PS Just got a GTO front rocker back in Hyper Black - a sort of black chrome with a very fine metal flake in the lacquer - and I spent about two hours polishing the lettering.

it looks mint.

The owner is going to have fits when he see's it.

Its one of those colours that looks nowt until the sun hits it then it explodes into colour.

Hi Chris

I will go with whatever people think but for what its worth I think that when H5 and I reach a set date all members should be allowed to vote with maybe half a vote on the back of pictures and a full vote to those that turn up at whatever meet it is that we both attend. (they get to look at both cars side by side.)

Rickya

Thanks for that mate. I have seen some pretty smart BMW engines around as well. That straight 6 head begs to be blinged!!

When I retire I do want to go into the valeting, engine bling business doing my own powder coating, but that is 4 1/2 years away yet and there are still villains to pursue.

Ming the Polished

PS Just got a GTO front rocker back in Hyper Black - a sort of black chrome with a very fine metal flake in the lacquer - and I spent about two hours polishing the lettering.

it looks mint.

Its one of those colours that looks nowt until the sun hits it then it explodes into colour.

Good suggestion Ming, happy with the half vote from pics and full if at the location. Is it worth setting a date of Trax next year? Or earlier in the year?

If you find time in the next 4 1/2 years, fancy catching the TWOC'ers that took my car??? ;) see my post about my car - not happy with the local police atm... :thumbdown:

From what you've shown it's be something people would go for. Bonus is, if they don't keep it clean, you get to do it again.....!! :D

Now to decide on that theme....... :kicking

What's the car on the right...??

Erm, GT Four? :teeth:

What a first post! :scare:

It's his that's why!!!!!

Welcome to the world of real grunt Billy. No twin entry turbos on here unless you've already got 280 bhp.....! ;):p

Hi Chris

Rickya

Ming the Polished

it looks mint.

Good suggestion Ming, happy with the half vote from pics and full if at the location. Is it worth setting a date of Trax next year? Or earlier in the year?

When and where mate? So long as I know I can plan stuff around it. So long as it is Summer/end of Summer so that all the siney bits are still shiney then I am up for it. If its too early in the year then I will not have got all the Winter marks off the car and we run the chance of a crappy day or two.

If you find time in the next 4 1/2 years, fancy catching the TWOC'ers that took my car??? ;) see my post about my car - not happy with the local police atm... :thumbdown:

I will have a read in a minute mate. There are things you can say and do that sometimes get a better response. I may also be able to put a bobbies eye view on the proceedings and time scales.

Its a pity you aint a little closer as i have an extensive network of 'friends' up here and would be able to get a name or family in quite a short period of time. ;)

From what you've shown it's be something people would go for. Bonus is, if they don't keep it clean, you get to do it again.....!! :D

The plan is to make it a bit of a 'one stop shop'. I would get together all the bits that people would be likely to want 'blinging up' and offer a drive in service. With a little forethought and practice I could set up my own small scale powder coating business (It needs little more than a small stripping bay and a large domestic oven believe it or not together with the spraying equipment) so that people pick a colour scheme, drive up and leave the car for a couple of days and get it back blinged up under the bonnet and polished to death on the outside.

Cars like the Zed are great as there are no engine variants so all the bits are the same. If you look at something like the Honda Civic there are a complete myriad of variations and it would mean a LARGE stock of parts. Not impossible but a little more labour extensive (Hell I love scrap yards as well :teeth: )

Now to decide on that theme....... :kicking

PURPLE :teeth::p:teeth:

Ming the Underway