Engine bay bling: Ming vs H5 1 year long challenge

H5

• Replies 267
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It'd be handy if my partners in crime didn't wind the opposition up to higher levels!! ;):D
Well i have a better idea for you! Carbon elements, and have airbrushed a really amazing graphic/picture on it! Then get the bling on but nothing heavy, you dont want to weigh down the car too much.

Then, this is where the fun comes in, you can have the underside fully chromed or painted to a high finish!

hehe B)

Ming

Im just curious, you have powder coated most of the metal parts in the engine bay and seem to really have a powder coat fetish :)

Im wondering what your plans are for all the plastic parts in the engine bay are? Including the engine cover??

The Manifold and the induction tubes are an easy mod, a mod that anyone can go out and pay a professional to do or but from ebay. What custom 'one off' ideas do you have? Not to give the game away, im just curious??

Also, how long is the powder coating gauranteed for? Where i used to work we never powdercoated anything as the paint wasn't gauranteed for the many heat cycles that the engines were going through. Do you think that after the year is up your paint will still look as good?

Thanks

To start with thw powder coating.

My old GTO which i powder coated the engine bits on just under FOUR YEARS ago still looks as good as the day I did it.

Powder coating goes on at 170 to 190 degrees and if it will stand the heat of my old twin turbo engine, including the rear turbo heat shield, without discolouration it will stand the 350Z heat FOREVER :teeth: I am VERY confident that it will look as good in one years time as the day I fitted it - unless I change my mind and have it done a different colour (They are working on something for me which if successful will change my engine bay colouration completely B) The reason I favour powder coating is simple. It stays clean with a wipe of a cloth and is hard wearing and versatile and comparatively cheap. (Price up chrome or anodised finishes and - unless you are in the trade - you will see what I mean.)

As for 'custom' parts I have just dropped the front cover off at a panel beaters to have one made in mild steel. :teeth: It should be ready in ONE WEEK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :thumbs::yahoo::thumbs:

Dependant on the quality - and I expect it to be superb knowing what else he does - there are a lot more bits that can be 'adapted' ;)

As for its finish I also have quite a few ideas on that as well but i need to see the finished article first.

When I asked him what the finished item would be like he replied "EXACTLY like this" holding out my spare cover :teeth: this will give me LOTS of options.

As for ideas its easy

Pick a piece, look at it for a while and then the idea comes. Like H5 said. the hard bit is finding a man - or woman - who can put your ideas into practice. I think i may have found THAT man!!

Ming the confident Fetishist :teeth:

Ming

Im just curious, you have powder coated most of the metal parts in the engine bay and seem to really have a powder coat fetish :)

Im wondering what your plans are for all the plastic parts in the engine bay are? Including the engine cover??

The Manifold and the induction tubes are an easy mod, a mod that anyone can go out and pay a professional to do or but from ebay. What custom 'one off' ideas do you have? Not to give the game away, im just curious??

Also, how long is the powder coating gauranteed for? Where i used to work we never powdercoated anything as the paint wasn't gauranteed for the many heat cycles that the engines were going through. Do you think that after the year is up your paint will still look as good?

Thanks

MIng, in reply to this! Carbon, you know you want to! Change all plastic to the sexy material!!!!!!!!

Carbon??

How does a panel beater beat carbon? LOL :p

You use what you have access to and Barnsley is a 'steel' area, even now, so thats what we will use.

Ming the content.

Ming

Thanks

MIng, in reply to this! Carbon, you know you want to! Change all plastic to the sexy material!!!!!!!!

Carbon??

How does a panel beater beat carbon? LOL :p

You use what you have access to and Barnsley is a 'steel' area, even now, so thats what we will use.

Ming the content.

Ahh i see where you are coming from now! so plastic cover = steeeeeeeeeel???? ;)

I will stop digging now

Don't let 'em get to you Ming! ;)

Hi mate.

Many have tried and only a very few have succeeded :teeth: and of those that did a few do still walk properly ;)

Joking aside. When people have little digs it just makes me think that little further outside the box.

If money and practicality were not issues and I could afford the car to be off the road a whilst then I could come up with some SERIOUSLY wierd results but that was not the intention as I remember it.

Ming the Happy

Just to clarify, by no means am i having a dig, i was offering seriouls suggestions and having some fun. Like you Ming, i work best when people banter with me and try to put me off and throw strange suggestions forward.

Apologies if it has been taken the wrong way

Just to clarify, by no means am i having a dig, i was offering seriouls suggestions and having some fun. Like you Ming, i work best when people banter with me and try to put me off and throw strange suggestions forward.

Not at all mate, nothing wrong at all! We both enjoy people's comments so keep 'em coming. I know that what I produce won't be everyone's cup of tea, but that's not the point. :)

Not at all mate, nothing wrong at all! We both enjoy people's comments so keep 'em coming. I know that what I produce won't be everyone's cup of tea, but that's not the point. :)

:yahoo:

I still cant wait to see the results of this, when i get mine, i will have something to look up to :teeth:

When time permits mate I am going to get stainless steel bolts for everything. -

Its a matter of getting a few out and going shopping :teeth:

If you powder coat them they:-

a. Get bigger on the head making getting a spanner/socket to fit awkward.

b. the powder coated head would damage when done up tight (The paint would scrunch up)

I might get a few bolts out and try buffing up the heads as I have had success this way in the past. I shall have to see but the GREEN will go!! :teeth:

Ming the Busy

Nice touch with the stainless mate, that'd look good. Good point about the paint scrunching up etc :thumbs:

Its here. :teeth:

Its bleedin raining :angry: (I don't want to get the rest of my engine bay wet) so I can't fit it!!

My powder coated strut brace :teeth:

Allthough the pictures don't show it it is infact a fine metallic black colour that benefits from sunlight

DSCF0020.jpg

Heres a bit of a clsoe up on the left hand bit

DSCF0021.jpg

The good news is is that what ever Nissan used inside the tube is one tough foam.

Its has not been affected by the stripping agent, the blasting agent or the heat of the coating :teeth:

I can't wait to get the thing on but I am going to do it when I have 'cleaning time' to spare as I am going to do the underneath thing first.

Ming the Happy

Ming , did you get a black Samco bend for the Pipercross induction kit, or did you paint??

Bound with electrical tape for now mate but i will be looking for the proper sized samco bend in black sooner or later to finish it off properly.

PS

The induction kit has a lovely 'gulp' sound if you boot it as it really sucks in air!! :teeth:

Ming the Happy

If you find out where to get a bend let me know :thumbs: The paints flaking on mine now :yawn:

Yes they do sound well dont they :teeth:

Lomoto

I have just had a flash of inspiration regarding this whilst talking to my eldest lad.

I know a place that MAKES hoses.

Not just any old hoses but..............

BRAIDED STEEL HOSES!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am going to go visit them over the weekend and see what if anything they can do for me!!

There are a couple of other visible hoses that could also be replaced I reckon.

I will update you later on mate

Cheers

Ming the hopeful

Ming , did you get a black Samco bend for the Pipercross induction kit, or did you paint??

Bound with electrical tape for now mate but i will be looking for the proper sized samco bend in black sooner or later to finish it off properly.

PS

The induction kit has a lovely 'gulp' sound if you boot it as it really sucks in air!! :teeth:

Ming the Happy

If you find out where to get a bend let me know :thumbs: The paints flaking on mine now :yawn:

Lomoto

I have just had a flash of inspiration regarding this whilst talking to my eldest lad.

I am going to go visit them over the weekend and see what if anything they can do for me!!

Cheers

Ming the hopeful

Nice one Ming...yep be very intrested in those :thumbs:

Did you drive around without the strut bar fitted? If so, any noticable difference?

I have been driving around without it now for about a week.

If there is a difference at normal road driving speeds and conditions then it is marginal to say the least.

The front MIGHT feel a tad softer but it might be in my head!

I think if there is a difference I will notice it more when I put it back on!!

Cheers

Ming the soft front end :blush:

PS

Ming the Happy

Lomoto

Cheers

Ming the hopeful

Looks like I might have to start posting my intentions to get my bits in first!! This was one of the things due on mine.......!! ANOTHER re-think...... :headhurt:

PS

Ming the Happy

Lomoto

Cheers

Ming the hopeful

Looks like I might have to start posting my intentions to get my bits in first!! This was one of the things due on mine.......!! ANOTHER re-think...... :headhurt:

:teeth::p:teeth::p

hI mATE

I am sure that even if we did exactly the same things the distance between us would mean that the bays would still look VERY different!!

If you post up your ideas and I like 'em I'm gonna pinch 'em. :thumbs::p:teeth:

All's fair in love and WAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ming the Buzzin'

Latest idea, is I'm going to keep it all bog standard and spray paint it myself with cans of Hammerite from Halfords. I will also use some self adhesive film to cover anything I think needs it and go with a lime green theme.

H5 the planned and happy.......

If that doesn't work, I'll justhave to beat you with plan B......!! ;):teeth::p

Latest idea, is I'm going to keep it all bog standard and spray paint it myself with cans of Hammerite from Halfords. I will also use some self adhesive film to cover anything I think needs it and go with a lime green theme.

H5 the planned and happy.......

If that doesn't work, I'll justhave to beat you with plan B......!! ;):teeth::p

Why don't you replace the cable covering with some of that wrap around stuff that fits badly, and looks worse, and hold it all in place with dodgy electrical tape of differing colours :D

BRUSH paint all the bits you can see and spray paint all the undersides of stuff and awkward to get to places in a slightly different colour - plenty of overspray of course - to blend everything in nicely.

Instead of clingfilm how about FABLON?? Remember that dodgy work surface and head board stuff of the 60's and 70's :scare:

Lastly I know its off topic but how about an engine bay like this

And yes it is a REAL engine bay of a car that I stopped at work.

scan0002.jpg

one of the inside of the car to show TRUE customising

scan.jpg

Ming the reminded