Engine bay bling: Ming vs H5 1 year long challenge

H5

So how's the colour change going Ming?? Still heading down that route??

I think I'm finally done on my theme, just collecting the info needed now to get some of the things done and will start getting some details up. :)

Hi mate

Still with the purple for the time being!! ;)

I have picked up my metal front cover but I have a few issues with it and need to try it on the engine first before I spend the time getting it up to powder coating standard - a lot of work I might add. I have not completely written it off but it is not what I wanted to be fair.

i have found a guy who does ally welding and says he could make on in aluminum but he wanted a LOT more cash.

I may well have to go down this route and get a custom one made up that does not try and replicate the original.

i also have a nice blingy oil filler cap and plenty of ideas to keep me going in the cold winter months.

I will keep you posted mate.

Ming the sleepy

PS Hows your gearbox? Is it going to need a replacement?

I find out this week on the gearbox. They cancelled my appointment last week as they had a guy off sick. They've got a list of things to do from squeaking body kit, through corroding wheels and scuffed leather through to the gearbox. Needing to make sure that's all done before I throw anything under that sheet of aluminium....... :)

Hope all else is well. I'm off to hit some golf balls in the New Forest, enjoy! :D

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 267
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know its only been a couple of weeks but there has been no update to this thread and I miss the banter.

Any news chaps? Or have you been so busy squirreling around your engines that you have not had any time to post????

I had a special one off metal front cover made that initially looked great :thumbs: then I looked more clsoely and the more I looked the less i liked it and so on.

Suffice to say that attempt one went into the bin!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have had another idea for the cover but Mrs Ming has dedicated my next weekend to DECORATING!!!!!!!!! :scare::scare:

i have also to look into the braided steel piping issue.

Unfortunately time is precious at the moment - oh and the weather is SH**E!!

Have no fear plenty of stuff is on the cards and poor old H5 has got to sort his gearbox first.

Ming the Busy

PS Just got NINE boxes of flat pack for the study :yahoo::scare::rant:

I know its only been a couple of weeks but there has been no update to this thread and I miss the banter.

Any news chaps? Or have you been so busy squirreling around your engines that you have not had any time to post????

As per Ming, I also have DIY after the oven exploded. Left a bit of a mess!!! :thumbdown:

I've got the plan all sorted, and am trying to source a few bits, or people that can make them. I will be using colour in the engine bay with shiny bits and a material TBC. I think with the new 510bhp beast ours will be in the class of 'all show, not quite as much go'!!!

Once gearbox is sorted then I'll get the car inside and will post some sneak peeks!! :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Lots being sorted out at the moment Tim, so watch this space over the next few weeks for some developments, after all it's Xmas and that means presents.......

Just need to find a polisher that sells gift vouchers..........!! :D

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Guys

My spare front cover went into the powder coaters yesterday - they also wet paint for me if I ask them nicely even though they don't like doing it - to get done hyper black like the strut brace.

I spent quite a long time flatting down to shift all the little plastic scratches so that the finish is spot on.

I also have a little idea for it but i shall wait on the result first and see how I feel about it.

If the wet paint looks good then a lot more plastic is going in for the same treatment :teeth:

I know the plastic is already black but the hyper black will make a whole shed load of difference to the bay.

I will post pics as soon as I have them.

Ming the Happy

• 4 months later...

Right, the shopping list is almost complete, with one little gap. Can anyone help?

I'm looking for a polisher / metal finisher in the Thames Valley. Searches provide some but quality levels are always a risk and it ain't cheap! Anyone got any suggestions?

Finally decided on the theme. Just need to work out how to keep the fish fed. ;)

• 1 month later...

Definately in for repairs. But back out now. I was busy fitting wiring the latest bit of bling when the damage was caused - not by me I migth add - when the bonnet blew up.

PART of what I fitted can be seen in the pic below and the rest will SHOW later when I have finished the modification ;)

Just a little taster

DSCF1047.jpg

The rest requires a drill and a steady hand.

:teeth:

I am still looking at a custom front cover as the Mk 11 model was not exactly what I wanted.

I also had a custom boot liner made that to be perfectly honest was PANTS!!

Although it did not cost me money I have to valet a 15 year old 4x4 that has never seen a wash for something I don't even like

Ming the Tentative

• 5 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

The show was never organised so there hasn't been a central point for us to meet to compare.....

And to say I've had supply problems for some of the bits is an understatement. I started mine in May and still haven't got some of my bits ordered back then! :dry:

But it is still in progress...... :)