Engine bay bling: Ming vs H5 1 year long challenge

H5

• Replies 267
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lookin good mate :thumbs: But aren't you giving away your idea's?

The way I see it, it is of interest to site members what we do as we do it so to speak.

I have plenty of ideas and just enjoy working on the engine bay.

H5 said from day one he would do his all in one go and i said I would do it bit at a time.

I looked into the bay today and found something else to polish that I am SURE no one has polished on their car yet and although it is not obvious when it has been done properly it WILL be noticable ;)

It is little things like that i am sure will make all the difference. :teeth:

For once in my life I believe that it is being in the race that counts and winning is second!!

Ming the Happy

Couldn't agree more Ming, I just have an incentive to do this now. In order for this not to be a one sided thing I will show some of the bits as they arrive. Just not yet! ;)

It is looking good mate, keep going.

As for those pictures, I thought they'd been destroyed....... :blush::p

Not sure where you found those! :scare:

It's all good fun so far. As much as anything talking to like minded people who see changing anything on a car a personal challenge. And boy can some of them step up to it!

Don't worry Sarnie, I'm trying not to 'copy' anything so it's not a like for like judging effort. :thumbs:

The way I see it, it is of interest to site members what we do as we do it so to speak.

H5 said from day one he would do his all in one go and i said I would do it bit at a time.

I looked into the bay today and found something else to polish that I am SURE no one has polished on their car yet and although it is not obvious when it has been done properly it WILL be noticable ;)

For once in my life I believe that it is being in the race that counts and winning is second!!

Ming the Happy

It's probably nothing to do with the bits you're thinking about polishing up, but it occured to me as soon as I got the Z that the material on the top of the radiator and the surrounding area is particularly dull. Is it made of a thermal plastic or something that it has to have that strange finish?

Ming the Happy

It's probably nothing to do with the bits you're thinking about polishing up, but it occured to me as soon as I got the Z that the material on the top of the radiator and the surrounding area is particularly dull. Is it made of a thermal plastic or something that it has to have that strange finish?

It was the very first thing I noticed when I lifted the bonnet. I am sad in that one of the first considerations I have when buying a car is what I can do under the bonnet!

There are options available that I am considering but other things are first.

The most common one - and there or the one I will almost certainly NOT take - is a carbon fibre replacment.

I will have to take it off to see what is underneath it and what it does before I decide exactly what i am going to do but i am sure I will do something!

Infact I have just had a brainwave.

Thanks for brining up the subject!! :teeth:

Ming the Happy

Ming the Happy

It was the very first thing I noticed when I lifted the bonnet. I am sad in that one of the first considerations I have when buying a car is what I can do under the bonnet!

The most common one - and there or the one I will almost certainly NOT take - is a carbon fibre replacment.

I will have to take it off to see what is underneath it and what it does before I decide exactly what i am going to do but i am sure I will do something!

Ming the Happy

Already got that one sorted Ming! ;):p

Ming the Happy

Ming the Happy

Carbon, Carbon, Carbon, Carbon, Carbon, Carbon, Carbon, Carbon, Carbon, Carbon, Carbon,

:yawn::yawn::yawn::yawn::yawn:

:p

Ming the Cheeky

Ming the Happy

Ming the Happy

Carbon, Carbon, Carbon, Carbon, Carbon, Carbon, Carbon, Carbon, Carbon, Carbon, Carbon,

:yawn::yawn::yawn::yawn::yawn:

Ming the Cheeky

Are you OK Ming, you appear to be babbling?!?! :p:D Who said anything about carbon.......??? ;)

I agree, Ming. I can't understand the fascination for CF. :thumbdown:

Because it's light and strong and fairly easy to use so in a sports car that's a good combination?? And it looks pretty?

I've no argument about the light and strong stuff, but I'm not convinced about these applications where clearly it is just being used for its appearance. I don't think it looks particularly appealing. Each to his own, I suppose. :)

I agree, Ming. I can't understand the fascination for CF. :thumbdown:

Because it's light and strong and fairly easy to use so in a sports car that's a good combination?? And it looks pretty?

I've no argument about the light and strong stuff, but I'm not convinced about these applications where clearly it is just being used for its appearance. I don't think it looks particularly appealing. Each to his own, I suppose. :)

I agree about the CF stuff, think it looks horrid. Apart, that is, from the CF centre console stuff that Richie from Oz is doing at the mo. That looks :teeth:

Each to his own is my motto.

I would never disrespect another guys work even if I didn't like it because they have put effort into it and that is what it is all about.

There will be those amongst you that look at my engine bay and politely go 'nice' and privately go 'URRGGHHHHH!!!!!'

At the end of the day though if I like it then that is all that matters.

Its all about personal taste - or lack there of!! :teeth:

Ming the content

PS I am already considering an amended colour scheme.

PS I am already considering an amended colour scheme.

Can I have your purple stuff? ;)

If, as and when the time comes it may well be up for offer. I am going to persue the colour scheme to see what it looks like when I have finished it but Mrs Ming - the font of knowledge of all things decoration and style - has suggested a different colour scheme that although less obvious may well be a lot more classy.

We shall have to wait and see!!

Ming the ingenious

• 2 weeks later...

So how's the colour change going Ming?? Still heading down that route??

I think I'm finally done on my theme, just collecting the info needed now to get some of the things done and will start getting some details up. :)

So how's the colour change going Ming?? Still heading down that route??

I think I'm finally done on my theme, just collecting the info needed now to get some of the things done and will start getting some details up. :)

Hi mate

Still with the purple for the time being!! ;)

I have picked up my metal front cover but I have a few issues with it and need to try it on the engine first before I spend the time getting it up to powder coating standard - a lot of work I might add. I have not completely written it off but it is not what I wanted to be fair.

i have found a guy who does ally welding and says he could make on in aluminum but he wanted a LOT more cash.

I may well have to go down this route and get a custom one made up that does not try and replicate the original.

i also have a nice blingy oil filler cap and plenty of ideas to keep me going in the cold winter months.

I will keep you posted mate.

Ming the sleepy

PS Hows your gearbox? Is it going to need a replacement?