Engine bay bling: Ming vs H5 1 year long challenge

H5

Yeah

A couple of hiccups along the way but it got here in the end.

Its gonna look top dollar when its all blinged up and fitted!! :thumbs:

The filter is the only bit I cant get powder coated as it doesn't come apart but it has polished up really well so i am quite happy.

Was yours an easy fit? It looks like it should go on OK. It even comes with a straight fit for the MAS so no fiddling about there either i reckon!

Ming the happy

yes dead easy to fit , :thumbs: nice item

• Replies 267
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ming/H5

This is clearly a long-term project and perhaps both of you will be reluctant to post your advances before 'Judgement Day'

Is it possible to base the contest both on coursework (as against the current educational FAD) and a final exam - to keep us mortals interested ( I want to be intrigued for the next 12 months ...)

Perhaps a 2-monthly vote with each one contributing 10% with 40% as a final tits out reveal :)

I don't have a big problem with that at all. Although votes counting towards the final result could be a problem as I tend to plan, acquire and clean and then finally add all in one go....... But you will get a laminated, step by step guide showing what has been done to the car! :D

H5 and I are going about this in completely different ways.

As he has said his will be almost a one hit make over whilst mine will be a work in progress!

I am happy to post pics up as I change or improve - some might say ruin :) - each item.

The competition is just a bit of fun - no it 'aint its deadly serious who am I kidding :teeth: - to give it a little impetus.

I am happy with the format as it stands with some sort of cut off date with enough time for those members -still interested enough :headhurt: - who can't make TRAX to do some sort of club on line vote prior to TRAX

H5

How about we keep this thread going but at the same time start a file each in the gallery section and also imput the photo's there.

this would give a full picture file on each car in one place and allow comparison without flicking through the whole thread!

Is this OK MODS??????????

LAMINATED STEP BY STEP GUIDE :scare: You sound like my old metal work teacher!!!! He He He!! Good idea though -plagiarism steps forward here!!

Ming the happy

I'll still be acquiring bits and pieces along the way, and may share bits as we go all in the interests of keeping people interested. Likewise, I'll show the items as I get them done and changed too. :thumbs:

Photos wise, I'm also fine with, am taking them regularly anyway.

As for the guide, that's what comes of having competed. You ain't seen nothing yet!! Might even do a Ming vs H5 Special Edition (chromed of course!!! ;) ) for the occasion.

Is it wrong for this to be so much fun??? lol :D

tried to increase the quota on the gallery software, but afaik you can't increase it just for 2 users, so it's a no go. I can increase forum upload quotas though, for specific users. Maybe Chris knows a way to do it on the gallery software, but I couldn't find any.

PS you have 2mb attachments limit on the forum

Shouldn't be a problem if we use Photobucket should it? Can always continue the thread with links to updated pics and so on?

Ming, you have a Photobucket account? Dead easy even for this computer illiterate geek. :teeth:

Guest prescience
tried to increase the quota on the gallery software, but afaik you can't increase it just for 2 users, so it's a no go. I can increase forum upload quotas though, for specific users. Maybe Chris knows a way to do it on the gallery software, but I couldn't find any.

PS you have 2mb attachments limit on the forum

thanks for trying anyway :)

for those photobucket users, I think the default max size is set to 512k (anything larger is resized by PB automatically on upload); if you go into your PB account profile, you can increase this max to 1024k

Shouldn't be a problem if we use Photobucket should it? Can always continue the thread with links to updated pics and so on?

Ming, you have a Photobucket account? Dead easy even for this computer illiterate geek. :teeth:

Yup

I use phtobucket all the time. :teeth:

I will go in and set up a Zed account with all the pics on it.

You can shift them about to put them in a chronological order without losing the link but if you resize them then all the links prior to the resize will be lost

i am pretty much certain that you can leave the whole file as a public file.

If that is the case then all we need to do is leave the link at the bottom of our signatures - again i am pretty sure we can do that - so that people wanting to look at the 'work in progress' can go and flick through the link.

I will still continue to post up pics of each mod upgrade etc as I do it onto this link so that folk who have seen all the other stuff can have a look at the new bits.

What do you reckon.

Ming the Willing

Guest prescience

Yup

I use phtobucket all the time. :teeth:

I will go in and set up a Zed account with all the pics on it.

You can shift them about to put them in a chronological order without losing the link but if you resize them then all the links prior to the resize will be lost

i am pretty much certain that you can leave the whole file as a public file.

If that is the case then all we need to do is leave the link at the bottom of our signatures - again i am pretty sure we can do that - so that people wanting to look at the 'work in progress' can go and flick through the link.

I will still continue to post up pics of each mod upgrade etc as I do it onto this link so that folk who have seen all the other stuff can have a look at the new bits.

What do you reckon.

Ming the Willing

yes you can - note it is PUBLIC by default :scare: its another option in the PB control panel to make it private

Just created an Engine Bling folder on photobucket and it is now in my signature.

Just pasted the link from the address bar into my signature box and hey presto I have a link!! :D

Just got to find out how to name a shuffle and date each photo now.

I reckon its got to be able?

Will let you know if I succeed.

ming the Sorted.

awesome Ming! now where's mine? :teeth:B):teeth:B)

gonna look good on a Gm car... Purple/GM theme... NICE! :teeth:

Went down this morning and guess what

They CAN match the blue!!!!!!!!!!!! :teeth:

I should have the cover on by the weekend as I am not now at work until Monday morning (Have you seen the forecast :teeth::teeth::teeth: )

so I will get yours in ASAP. I will PM you with the details later. ;)

Mrs Ming wanted Candy Apple Red but I reckon GM and Purple will look the mutts nuts!! :teeth:

Can't wait to start the bling thing!!

Ming the Happy

Do I detect an orange peel effect on that Ming??? ;):p

Certainly a bright colour, be interesting to see how much further the colour can be applied in the engine bay......

Mine is on the move too! :thumbs:

Cheeky!! :p:p

That I think you will find is the reflection of the bubble wrap!! ;)

Trust me the photo's DO NOT do it justice. Its BETTER in the flesh!! :teeth::p

Other bits went down today!!

Do you wanna know what??

133_3333.jpg

133_3334.jpg

Gonna look top notch mate!!!!

Strut mounts anyone!! He He He :teeth:

Ming the thought provoking

Do I detect an orange peel effect on that Ming??? ;):p

Certainly a bright colour, be interesting to see how much further the colour can be applied in the engine bay......

Mine is on the move too! :thumbs:

You shouldn't get orange peel on a powdercoat :blush: Was that just normal paint?

Trust me its powder coat. I collected it from the oven!!!!!!!!! ;)

I have been using this firm for three years now and it is a POWDER COATING firm!!!! ;):p

Dependant on the powder used and the quality of the metal coated - look at the surface of your plenum - the surface COULD looked slightly rippled no matter what you use.

All i can say is "Wait until you see it in the flesh!!!!!!!!" :teeth:

Ming the happy