Idiot at work

350zStephen

Oh and before I forget..

My office is terrible for bitching, the guys are actually worse than the ladies. When I first started, rumour was that that I was gay? That was certainly news to me, and I entertained it for a few days, and brought my stunning girlfriend into work one day after my shift :lol:

:worthless:

my boss always drags up the forum,

i'll be sat in my workshop marking during my PPA or checking emails and the first thing he says is; " you browsing the bloomin car forum again" with a little laugh in his voice.

i am actually working, but hey ho

We have unrestricted internet at work but I would never trust it. As part of my job I have to check what employees of our customers have been doing on the internet so I know the extent of the information that can be extracted from ISAs and other internet monitoring software. While it is unrestricted I am always aware that if your manager or the company wants to get rid of you they will dig.

I have a machine at home which is always on. I use a secure VPN to connect to my machine and from there I can go where ever without any trace. OpenVPN is completely free and secure.

Chris

you could always leave a pc or laptop on at home, remote to it from work then you're free to look at what you like :thumbs:

Good idea, I'll have a wee look into that tomorrow.

What gets me is, what is the point in him getting this site banned? Its practically the only site I visit at work. I guess i'll just have to settle with Pistonheads to keep me sane, it just wont be the same though :(

www.logmein.com - Free version available

www.gotomypc.com - Excellent Citrix product (they write a lot of networking code for MS) $5 a month, but very slick.

I use logmein for my home PC, initially installed it to get access to file etc as I have an FTP server at home but only put files in there when I want to gain access to them. It does also allow me to go onto anything I want during the working day, however I'm part of the network team and as such I'm the one that monitors the internet activity. Like others have said though, even if you have un-restricted access, still doesn't mean they wouldn't use your usage against you if they wanted to get rid

confront him... and let us know what happens :snack:

As for browsing non work related sites on working hours ... you've not got a leg to stand on IMO. Get an EEE PC style laptop and get a usb dongle and do as much smurfing as you want on your own time (coffee breaks, lunch etc)

They seem to think that you are not working properly if they banned a site they know you sit on so don't give them anymore ammo, the advice to use your own PC at home will only get you past the banned site issue you have but will probably eat more bandwidth from the company pipe and that might upset them even more...

I confronted him about it as soon as I got in to work this morning and I told him I know he is a grass, and i'll make life hell for him in work. He basically said "and what?" The language got pretty colourful and he sat in silence all day today and never whispered a word. :lol:

I confronted him about it as soon as I got in to work this morning and I told him I know he is a grass, and i'll make life hell for him in work. He basically said "and what?" The language got pretty colourful and he sat in silence all day today and never whispered a word. :lol:

Sounds like it got ugly, but at least you got it off your chest. It would have probably p'd you off for weeks. So umm...now what? :p